Enroute Class pass rate

I think they were shuffled around a bit with various instructors. The class before them had a great instructor team, the next class’ was meh.
Their basics class (11-3) was different than everyone else. Academy had this new concept of “teach yourself” class, they had all the lessons and studied them on their own pace, intstructor in class room only to answer questions and what not. After 3-4 weeks they realize this program wasn’t working, so they started basics all over again with the old method. I guess they were worn out. Pass rate right now is about 75-80%, smaller clases get more attention (7-10 students per class).

Their basics class (11-3) was different than everyone else. Academy had this new concept of “teach yourself” class, they had all the lessons and studied them on their own pace, intstructor in class room only to answer questions and what not. After 3-4 weeks they realize this program wasn’t working, so they started basics all over again with the old method. I guess they were worn out. Pass rate right now is about 75-80%, smaller clases get more attention (7-10 students per class).
I’m sorry, but if you’re getting worn out by 5 months of training at academy, you’re probably not going to succeed in the time it takes to certify. If only 3 pass, only 3 deserved to move on. Not everyone is cut out for this career, and not everyone studies in their free time.

I’m sorry, but if you’re getting worn out by 5 months of training at academy, you’re probably not going to succeed in the time it takes to certify. If only 3 pass, only 3 deserved to move on. Not everyone is cut out for this career, and not everyone studies in their free time.
“Back when we worked Traffic we walked Up hill, both ways, in the snow, rabble, rabble, rabble.”- You, probably.

I have been at ZSU for about year, so I can't really comment on working the traffic. Lots of non-radar and foreign facility coordination. The facility has been great though. I showed up at the same time as almost 20 other people, so training got backed up, but we go to D1 pay pretty quick (a couple months). the whole "every day is a training day" seems to be fairly well accepted, although there are controllers at every facility who want nothing to do with training.

Our ATM (Boston John Melecio) seems,at least from what I can see, to really be a "Controller's manager".

San Juan itself is... well, at the risk of offending any puerto ricans, its a dump. its all concrete and potholes. but drive 25-30 minutes away from the airport and the island is beautiful. Driving can get interesting. red lights and stop signs, lane markings, right of way laws, those are all just suggestions here. people here are incredibly nice people, until they get behind a steering wheel.

The language barrier isn't really a big deal here. I only speak a little spanish, and while I get a lot of "you live in PR now, you need to learn spanish!" most people know at least a little english, or there is someone nearby who does. government services seem to be the one exception.

Im happy to answer any other questions anyone might have.
Hi! We will be moving to PR in early September. Do you have any suggestions for housing? Do you like your apartment?

I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m currently training and I’m taking it very serious, and I think everyone should

studying is largely irrelevant fake news talking point for people in this thread to "Feel good" about their chances. Hey power of positive thinking more power to you, but its a distinct aptitude not something that can be memorized.

I am currently opening a second bottle of cheap wine in honor of all the faithful departed who dreamed big dreams of ATC glory and ended up in the crying field hallways of the Mike Monroney AC. One for me..... one for my homeys back in Oaktown....

Its sad. This thread is like the in memorium page on an obituary. you dont have to pay the 99 cents for your tribute to stay up a year tho!

"I remember Mikey, we used to play Baseball and start fires in abandoned houses. This ones for you Miguelito!" ??
?
giphy.gif

Some people genuinely suck, some people had a rough day.

It sucks regardless of which group you fall into. Nothing is fair in this, though. In the ideal world, everyone likes to think that everything is fair and equal. There is nothing that can be done to ensure that everyone had the exact same opportunity. Different days off, different trainers, different traffic...some will see more weather, some will see less...some will start training in the winter and some will start training in the summer.

You take the cards that are dealt to you and you do the best you can.

is there really a guy called "Boston John"? :lol: Does he look like this?

johnny-depp.jpg

How'd you weather Dorian?

Haha, he’s a little more Puerto Rican. Search YouTube for him. He was a controller at BOS for a long time. Infectious personality on frequency.

Dorian was a nonevent. It ended up hitting st Thomas hard, and they weren’t prepared for it. The storm was supposed to go west of PR, and ended up east. Didn’t hit SJU at all.

studying is largely irrelevant fake news talking point for people in this thread to "Feel good" about their chances. Hey power of positive thinking more power to you, but its a distinct aptitude not something that can be memorized.

I am currently opening a second bottle of cheap wine in honor of all the faithful departed who dreamed big dreams of ATC glory and ended up in the crying field hallways of the Mike Monroney AC. One for me..... one for my homeys back in Oaktown....

Its sad. This thread is like the in memorium page on an obituary. you dont have to pay the 99 cents for your tribute to stay up a year tho!

"I remember Mikey, we used to play Baseball and start fires in abandoned houses. This ones for you Miguelito!" ??
?
giphy.gif
Say what you will, there’s a clear difference in competence between people who practice versus those that don’t. Consistency is key in ZAE and if you can’t even get basic phraseology down, you don’t deserve to pass.

Had 12/17 of us pass yesterday. Multiple 100s and even had one guy get 3 100s.
Best advise for people going into evals is keep your nerves in check and let things go if you make a mistake. You are fully prepared for what you’ll see in there and shouldent have any surprises. Good luck everyone!

Had 12/17 of us pass yesterday. Multiple 100s and even had one guy get 3 100s.
Best advise for people going into evals is keep your nerves in check and let things go if you make a mistake. You are fully prepared for what you’ll see in there and shouldent have any surprises. Good luck everyone!
Congrats!! Those are pretty good results! What was your list?

You can see their list on the enroute placement list in pretty sure......

Obviously it's easier to ask the class that just passed then have to scroll through a random list on the Internet and randomly count and assume who passed from previous classes. Come on now guy, use that brain of yours

Obviously it's easier to ask the class that just passed then have to scroll through a random list on the Internet and randomly count and assume who passed from previous classes. Come on now guy, use that brain of yours
It literally says what spots are reserved for which class

Back
Top Bottom