Expect on NEST list?

It’s your NATCA Alternate Regional Vice President. Their counterpart is the GM of your district. You can either ask your FacRep for their contact information or find it online through the directory.
What could be the possible outcome from contacting them? Like what could they do? cause termination is already signed.

If everything you’re saying is true, you need to contact your RVP and blow this up. The training order is black and white with what needs to be done. Then if a TRB agrees and recommends more hours and the ATM seemingly arbitrarily goes against the recommendation and terminates you, that should be an easy case. This is the primary reason to pay union dues as a trainee.
Thr ATM has the authority to override the TRB. It doesn't happen often but it isn't against the rules.

Thr ATM has the authority to override the TRB. It doesn't happen often but it isn't against the rules.
But if the reason for the recommendation of additional hours was because the training order wasn’t adhered to, that needs to be addressed. And I believe the ATM needs to provide justification for going against a TRB decision, it can’t just be arbitrary.

I did do two SDT. There weren’t a lot of A1 in the latter. TRB recommended a continuation of training and ATM went against them.
I thought sdt was only for development/solving issues. There shouldn't be any a1 noted, and if there were you need to continue sdt until it's resolved.

My understanding was this new way was to be actually helpful as opposed to the old way which was checking boxes to make sure you wash out

By the time I had finished my skill check I had 100% hours on two sectors and less than 5 on the part time sector.
Sounds like that was the required CSC at the end of your hours and the sup never told you it was (this is required). However, just because you don't bomb a CSC doesn't mean you get certified.

I've yet to really see him explain how the order wasn't followed and I have a feeling there is more to this story. Sounds like he got the CSC upon reaching 100% of hours and sup elected not to certify.

An ATM can go against a TRB but most decide against it because it requires a lot of paperwork and justification to their bosses. It also opens the agency up to litigation and other crap like that. You need to get your RVP involved if your Facrep isn't doing enough.

Last edited:
I've yet to really see him explain how the order wasn't followed and I have a feeling there is more to this story. Sounds like he got the CSC upon reaching 100% of hours and sup elected not to certify.
Yeah reading back through the fragments of the story, that does seem to be the case. Either the supe didn’t tell him it was a CSC or he didn’t hear it/understand what was happening. If someone was actually being screwed this hard, I don’t know why they wouldn’t be fighting it tooth and nail vs. asking what their odds are for NEST retention. Almost seems like this guy wanted to NEST out.

If the story is as it reads you got boned man. To a level you rarely see in the collaboration era. Cant believe your Fac Rep didn’t do more though the TRB process and especially after when the ATM went against the recommendation. The trainees and even your sup should have spoken up too if they thought you could certify in extension. You’re not a guy that everyone in the facility hates, are you? Z Fac Reps are busy but this is a career on the line. The Rep didn’t encourage you not to fight it did he? They pumped sunshine up some kids ass with a similar story about a year ago that they didn’t want to fight for, got him excited for the NEST even convinced him “it’s super easy to transfer” in the terminal environment.

Looks like the die has been cast if you are at the NEST step, I hope for the best but if your sup and trainers and Fac Rep who already screwed you wrote recommendation letters, I wouldn’t put much stock into that, as even when recommendation letters are “sincere” the NEST often shows no evidence of caring.

So I hope it works out, but back to the original question, it’s not unheard of but you would be fortunate to be offered a tower. The ATO found they can staff the hard to staff Flight Service and Air Traffic Assistant positions with people with zero Z certs so they often only offer that then NATCA tells you “you are lucky to still be offered a government job”.

Back
Top Bottom