Expect on NEST list?

I had my training terminated from Z## without certifications. I was recommended for a check ride to get my first D-sides from both trainers and was expected to get one but my supe changed their mind the day of. I’ll be going to the NEST and I have letters of recommendation from both trainers and supervisor vouching for me. Do I have a shot to be retained or should I just accept fate and prepare for a career
The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine and he is in Alaska as a FSS, good luck.

There seems to be lot going on here that doesn’t entirely add up. So both trainers put you up, but your Supe refused to do a check ride and suspended training anyways? With no justification? Then a TRB reviewed all this information and still decided to terminate your training? Then still, this same supe that just screwed you over and caused you to wash wrote you a letter of recommendation? Feel like there are details missing here but nonetheless, going to the NEST without any certifications is not a great position to be in. Maybe there’s a still chance you may be offered Flight Service in Alaska or something, but I wouldn’t expect anything more and would probably be prepared for employment termination.
Supe agreed to do checkride and next day decided wasn’t comfortable giving one after reading gradesheets, saying I was missing p/os which I felt like I wasn’t missing a whole lot. So it was decided to train more with remaining hours. I did so, and towards the end, had a skill check and then suspended training.

That’s the thing, I keep getting mixed answers from different stories. Heard people get offered towers without cert. heard people didn’t.
The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine and he is in Alaska as a FSS, good lugo

Supe agreed to do checkride and next day decided wasn’t comfortable giving one after reading gradesheets, saying I was missing p/os which I felt like I wasn’t missing a whole lot. So it was decided to train more with remaining hours. I did so, and towards the end, had a skill check and then suspended training.
Was it a certification skill check or normal?

Something in this story sounds very fishy... sounds like you are getting the shaft.... wtf

Something in this story sounds very fishy... sounds like you are getting the shaft.... wtf
That’s what the NATCA reps said here. They told me they didn’t like that idea that I got put up for a check ride and got it rescinded.

A CSC must be conducted at 100% of target time and upon completion of supplemental OJT time.
By the time I had finished my skill check I had 100% hours on two sectors and less than 5 on the part time sector.

That’s what the NATCA reps said here. They told me they didn’t like that idea that I got put up for a check ride and got it rescinded.
Probably because you were going to certify and management didn't want that... absolute BS. And the fact the the trb went in your favor and your ATM went against their recommendation... ATMs have to justify why they went against the TRB recommendation and that's a lot of paper work....

A CSC must be conducted at 100% of target time and upon completion of supplemental OJT time.
^this is correct FAA Order JO 3120.4R Chapter 6.
I did do two SDT. There weren’t a lot of A1 in the latter. TRB recommended a continuation of training and ATM went against them.
If they didn’t do a Certification Skill Check, that’s a pretty blatant violation of the training order right there. Then also pretty shocking the ATM went agains the TRB’s recommendation to continue training. That seems like an easy grievance. Did you talk to the union?

"I felt like I wasn't missing a whole lot" (point outs)
And "There weren’t a lot of A1 in the latter" (during SDT)....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with your OS/ATMs decisions. I however hope they offer you a lower level 4,5 and that you find a place where you can be successful, learn and move up when you're ready.

If they didn’t do a Certification Skill Check, that’s a pretty blatant violation of the training order right there. Then also pretty shocking the ATM went agains the TRB’s recommendation to continue training. That seems like an easy grievance. Did you talk to the union?
Absolutely this... If this is true it's an automatic grievance and your reps need to jump on this ASAP

I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with your OS/ATMs decisions. I however hope they offer you a lower level 4,5 and that you find a place where you can be successful, learn and move up when you're ready.
I hope so too. My supervisor and trainers all wrote that I can be successful at a different facility

I had my training terminated from Z## without certifications. I was recommended for a check ride to get my first D-sides from both trainers and was expected to get one but my supe changed their mind the day of. I’ll be going to the NEST and I have letters of recommendation from both trainers and supervisor vouching for me. Do I have a shot to be retained or should I just accept fate and prepare for a career change.
I was in the same position as you about a year ago; washed on my first cert.

Went through the nest, wasn't offered anything, not even FSS. Another person went through the nest with me washed on their 2nd D side and wasn't offered anything either.

I would say most likely your done as a controller, but with the way this shit works, I also wouldn't be surprised if you get a list of 15+ level 7 towers.

From the day I was recommended to the day I was suspended from training I’ve been keeping the FACREP updated and nothing was done

Regardless though... if they didn't follow the national training order this is all moot.

Went through the nest, wasn't offered anything, not even FSS. Another person went through the nest with me washed on their 2nd D side and wasn't offered anything either.

I would say most likely your done as a controller, but with the way this shit works, I also wouldn't be surprised if you get a list of 15+ level 7 towers.

that’s crazy to hear both your experiences. I’ve heard stories of other people getting towers without any certs. The guidelines on who gets lists doesn’t seem consistent

From the day I was recommended to the day I was suspended from training I’ve been keeping the FACREP updated and nothing was done
If it were my career, I would be calling my ARVP too and explain that management is screwing you out of your job by not abiding by the national training order.

If everything you’re saying is true, you need to contact your RVP and blow this up. The training order is black and white with what needs to be done. Then if a TRB agrees and recommends more hours and the ATM seemingly arbitrarily goes against the recommendation and terminates you, that should be an easy case. This is the primary reason to pay union dues as a trainee.

Back
Top Bottom