Hiring Bid Experienced Bid: FAA-ATO-19-ATCEXP-60073

A friend of mine who's at KHPN right now applied more than a year out, got his TOL and every part of the process done up until the class date which he waited 5 to 6 months for. It was affected by the shutdown, but he was WELL outside the 120-day window last year.

I just don't see why the window is 120 days when the process takes so long to complete. I'd more than likely be out of the Navy by the time I got done with the employment process since it takes so long.
I'd imagine it's because there are already more than enough qualified applicants with prior experience that have already ETS'ed or are available to work "immediately" (meaning not tied up with remaining service obligations/requirements.) It was the same for me back in the prior experience bid that came out before this one (March-ish 2018 I believe) I got out in October of last year and started my Terminal leave in August 2018. Still never got a TOL, but people who had more time remaining in service got TOL's (granted they got rescinded) but they still received them. I think its honestly just the luck of the draw. Contact those that have gotten TOL's/CIL's and ask to see their resumes. Also, don't be afraid to hit up every FCT for a position. Sometimes it can be a great bridge from military to civilian ATC, not only to remain proficient but to build experience and connections.

A friend of mine who's at KHPN right now applied more than a year out, got his TOL and every part of the process done up until the class date which he waited 5 to 6 months for. It was affected by the shutdown, but he was WELL outside the 120-day window last year.

I just don't see why the window is 120 days when the process takes so long to complete. I'd more than likely be out of the Navy by the time I got done with the employment process since it takes so long.
Yeah, the 120 days is really dumb and it's been around for a long time but only recently been enforced.
I am not sure about the OTS bids, most of my friends apply to the experienced bids so they don't go to OKC.

Buddy. I wish we had a way to find out to help you but all we can do is tell you what it could possibly be. If you want some better answers, call hR and ask. If you didn’t make it this time, there is always a next. There is some that make it thru the first try, there is some still trying. Take what you can learn from everyone’s experiences with all this and apply to every FAA bid that comes out. Take your time with the application and don’t rush. You might mess up and select something you didnt mean to. That will cause you to not get a tol. Yes. They are getting pretty strict with the getting out of the miltary business. They have a business to run and have people to place in open slots. They do not have time to waste with Military that is still in right now. They have been burned with the process many times with people getting thru the process quick and these military guys can’t just drop out of the military like someone that has a job that they can give a notice to that they are quitting. Keep on trying buddy. I know it is frustrating and getting out without a job is scary. Many of us military have done it and we are still alive to tell the tale. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and and learn what you can about the process. And when in doubt, call hr like everyone else does.

I'd imagine it's because there are already more than enough qualified applicants with prior experience that have already ETS'ed or are available to work "immediately" (meaning not tied up with remaining service obligations/requirements.) It was the same for me back in the prior experience bid that came out before this one (March-ish 2018 I believe) I got out in October of last year and started my Terminal leave in August 2018. Still never got a TOL, but people who had more time remaining in service got TOL's (granted they got rescinded) but they still received them. I think its honestly just the luck of the draw. Contact those that have gotten TOL's/CIL's and ask to see their resumes. Also, don't be afraid to hit up every FCT for a position. Sometimes it can be a great bridge from military to civilian ATC, not only to remain proficient but to build experience and connections.

I know of one guy I worked with who got his offer rescinded and another that made it all the way through so you're right.

I've got about 10 different applications in at USAJobs for DoD from Pax River to Kingsville to Eglin to Edwards. I'm looking at Serco and RVA, but probably closer to my ETS. I know on some offers, they were looking for people that'll be available within 60 days.

I know of one guy I worked with who got his offer rescinded and another that made it all the way through so you're right.

I've got about 10 different applications in at USAJobs for DoD from Pax River to Kingsville to Eglin to Edwards. I'm looking at Serco and RVA, but probably closer to my ETS. I know on some offers, they were looking for people that'll be available within 60 days.

Best thing I can recommend/advise is that you call those desired FCT facilities damn near weekly. Show that you're eager and ready to work, and be available for damn near anything. I called the regional director about twice a month for 6 months before I even got a facility offer. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Even if you did get a TOL it will be rescinded because you never met the requirements for the bid.
The ATO sets a specific date that you have to be available by. If you are available before that date then you are good to go.

And no, the ATO doesn't publish the date because that would clear the mud too much for us.

Dude, if you wanna job with Serco just apply 30 days before your EAOS. They're hurting for bodies at a lot of their facilities. The pay isn't amazing, but it's enough to keep you aloft until the FAA. PM me if you got any questions.

It’s a magical ouiji board cryptographic enigma machine that can devine 120 days after the close of the bid

When I put in for the bid in December I was about 7 months from separation. When TOLs came out I was about 115 days from separation. Again, make sure your resume is very similar if not the same as the resume of people who you work with. Key words are very important when the USAjobs computer is scanning your resume.

Nothing yet and I took mine on the 15th. Drug test tomorrow and that's it until list day I think.

Also, no depth perception exam at the medical I just had earlier. :cool:
So just vision and hearing then I’m guessing? They let you know everything is good to go before you leave?

So just vision and hearing then I’m guessing? They let you know everything is good to go before you leave?

Vision, hearing, typical physical things like deep breaths and reflexes, then an EKG and that was it. I asked if everything was good and he said, yup.

Back
Top Bottom