Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

So, we'll say the percentages stay around the same.
9,265 Applicants
4,169 Take the AT-SA
3,168 Pass
1,172 Well Qualified
609 Selected

They also said they planned on hiring over 1400 people in the 2019 fiscal year so that doesn't seem like too far from a possibility. I just need to test into the top 609 then.

Is there a typo?
Is well qualified replaced with best qualified in this list?
So they pick the 609 out of the 1172 that tested as best qualified?

Is there a typo?
Is well qualified replaced with best qualified in this list?
So they pick the 609 out of the 1172 that tested as best qualified?
There are 3 bands now, qualified, well qualified, and best qualified

I'm assuming they hire all the top best qualified from each pool, if they need to dip into well qualified band (I have a strong feeling they will need to for pool 1), then they will do so

Pool 2 seems really competitive, so depending how many pool 1s get TOLs, I dont think all of the best qualified in pool 2 will get a TOL, but like I said, it all depends on pool 1 numbers

This is all my speculation and obviously no numbers to back it up

Last edited:

I'm assuming they hire all the top best qualified from each pool, if they need to dip into well qualified band (I have a strong feeling they will need to for pool 1), then they will do so

Pool 2 seems really competitive, so depending how many pool 1s get TOLs, I dont think all of the best qualified in pool 2 will get a TOL, but like I said, it all depends on pool 1 numbers

Right! I was Best Qualified from Pool 2 last go around and did not get selected. Bummer for sure. I need as many veterans getting in with their 10 point bonus as possible. Pump up those numbers

The problem now is that most veterans/prior experience people now get in via the prior experience bids and the number of CTI students has dramatically decreased because there is no real incentive for a CTI degree anymore so pool 1 will always be significantly smaller than pool 2. There just aren't very many pool 1 applicants so only the very best pool 2 candidates will be selected.

So when you are talking about well qualified, it is now replaced with best qualified instead?
Sorry, this is just me trying to calculate the % for Pool 1/2 across the board so I can have a reasonable estimate of what % of best qualified are actually accepted.

Also- does being referred mean you are best qualified? Or is it possible to not be Best Qualified but still referred? (for Pool 2)

So when you are talking about well qualified, it is now replaced with best qualified instead?
Sorry, this is just me trying to calculate the % for Pool 1/2 across the board so I can have a reasonable estimate of what % of best qualified are actually accepted.

Also- does being referred mean you are best qualified? Or is it possible to not be Best Qualified but still referred? (for Pool 2)
Well qualified is 80 to 89.99

If you're pool 2, if you're not near the top of the best qualified band, odds are you're not gonna get a TOL

Well qualified is 80 to 89.99

If you're pool 2, if you're not near the top of the best qualified band, odds are you're not gonna get a TOL

Is the 80-89.99 in terms of percentile or % correct?
So you have to be in the top 10% of ATSA takers to be best qualified?
Either way that's pretty big.

And thanks for replying. Then you have to be around the top 5-6% of all ATSA takers to actually have a 50/50 shot of getting a TOL/FOL.

What exactly does being referred mean besides that they are looking at your application?

Is the 80-89.99 in terms of percentile or % correct?
So you have to be in the top 10% of ATSA takers to be best qualified?
Either way that's pretty big.

And thanks for replying. Then you have to be around the top 5-6% of all ATSA takers to actually have a 50/50 shot of getting a TOL/FOL.

What exactly does being referred mean besides that they are looking at your application?
That's the test score, not how you stack versus everyone else

Aka you need to score at least a 90perc on the test to be best qualified

And referred just means you pass, doesnt mean you're getting a TOL

That's the test score, not how you stack versus everyone else

Aka you need to score at least a 90perc on the test to be best qualified

And referred just means you pass, doesnt mean you're getting a TOL

How is it possible to even score 90% on the radar portion? (the 9 moving planes)

Do you mean pass as in "best qualified" or does being referred mean you're in the 3 bands?

How is it possible to even score 90% on the radar portion? (the 9 moving planes)

Do you mean pass as in "best qualified" or does being referred mean you're in the 3 bands?
From my understanding, referred is just passing the test, qualified, well qualified, or best qualified.

edit: Don't listen to anything I wrote below this.

Yeah that is a problem. I wonder if the feds have any remedy for it or. The 10% rule is going to limit numbers

I'm going to paste what I put in a Reddit thread about this- maybe someone can confirm whether or not this is right:

There was a change in 2019. Before, it used to read:
"After giving preferential consideration to applicants under subparagraph (A) [individuals with 52 weeks' post-cert experience], the Administrator shall consider additional applicants for the position of air traffic controller by referring an approximately equal number of individuals for appointment among the 2 applicant pools described in this subparagraph. The number of individuals referred for consideration from each group shall not differ by more than 10 percent."
Now, it reads:
"After giving preferential consideration to applicants under subparagraph (A), the Administrator shall consider additional applicants for the position of air traffic controller by giving further preferential consideration, within each qualification category based upon pre-employment testing results, to pool 1 applicants described in clause (ii) before pool 2 applicants described in clause (iii)."
There are some opinions on that change here.
It looks like they were locked into that 10% rule before this year, but it's no longer in effect. The difference now is that pool 1 is still preferred, but they are not locked into a 10% rule any longer.
This could be good or bad for pool 2, depending on how many are considered highly qualified (or best qualified, whatever it's called) in pool 1. It's great for pool 2 if there aren't many highly qualified people in pool 1- guess we'll see.

Last edited:
I'm going to paste what I put in a Reddit thread about this- maybe someone can confirm whether or not this is right:

There was a change in 2019. Before, it used to read:
"After giving preferential consideration to applicants under subparagraph (A) [individuals with 52 weeks' post-cert experience], the Administrator shall consider additional applicants for the position of air traffic controller by referring an approximately equal number of individuals for appointment among the 2 applicant pools described in this subparagraph. The number of individuals referred for consideration from each group shall not differ by more than 10 percent."
Now, it reads:
"After giving preferential consideration to applicants under subparagraph (A), the Administrator shall consider additional applicants for the position of air traffic controller by giving further preferential consideration, within each qualification category based upon pre-employment testing results, to pool 1 applicants described in clause (ii) before pool 2 applicants described in clause (iii)."
There are some opinions on that change here.
It looks like they were locked into that 10% rule before this year, but it's no longer in effect. The difference now is that pool 1 is still preferred, but they are not locked into a 10% rule any longer.
This could be good or bad for pool 2, depending on how many are considered highly qualified (or best qualified, whatever it's called) in pool 1. It's great for pool 2 if there aren't many highly qualified people in pool 1- guess we'll see.

Last year I completely bombed the second part - I had a brain fart on which direction was left or right, didn't quite understand what I was doing, missed most of them due to time, and maybe got 3 right on the entire section when I started just randomly hitting yes or no. I completely skipped the math on the radar portion and maybe had 6-8 collisions and somehow I still ranked best qualified.

I don't think anyone quite knows how they grade or rank these tests. Maybe work experience even comes into play? All I know is I can't wait to see how I placed this year, because I need a change in careers.

Back
Top Bottom