Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Hello! For the test confirmation email, there is a note stating "The name on your identification MUST MATCH EXACTLY with the name in the PSI system." Do you know if that includes middle name because mine is too long on the acceptable forms of identification so it gets cut off?

Where/how can I find this study material? Is this something that’s publicly available (e.g. by googling) or do I need to but an LSAT study book?

Can you share an example of the types of questions in this section of the ATSA?

GRE prep is probably good too, FYI, not just LSAT. In general, graduate level standardized tests.

How many times can you roll over your score? Two OTS bids ago I got best qualified but no TOL. Rolled over the score to the last OTS but still no TOL. Can I skip the ATSA again for this one and they'll use that same score again?
Due to the COVID-19 situation and other personal stressors plus the fact I'd have to travel 250+ miles just to get to a testing site, idk I just don't really feel up for going through it all at this time. I know that will sound like blasphemy to some of you but it is what it is.

The people complaining about having to drive to take their exam are hilarious. Welcome to working for the government. If you want it, you jump through the hoops. The annoying/inconvenient requests don’t just stop after the entrance exam. I once drove 300 miles for a pre-employment test with another agency, and didn’t even end up getting selected that job. It’s just part of it.

I don't blame AlbertAlbert and am still shocked they're pushing forward so early. I have been working with other agencies and they're all still on indefinite hold. Also, they should be paying him/her to drive to the test center if it is that far.

Glad I already have a BQ score, as I would personally refuse to do this right now. It gives me a sour taste in my mouth about FAA. AlbertAlbert I believe you're eligible to roll over for like a couple of years, but ask HR. There's a number in the original job advertisement.

couldn’t agree more. In this game of getting hired and such it all comes down to asking yourself what you’ll regret more, buying software and trying or not and always wondering if it would have helped. But that’s this process in a nutshell, what works for one doesn’t work for the other. One isn’t any more of guarantee to get hired than the other. You’ve gotta do what is right according to you and what you feel works. ?‍♂️

Good grief, on this topic my opinion is different. It's $30...assuming you're not absolutely broke, buy the software, it's not expensive.

I don't blame AlbertAlbert and am still shocked they're pushing forward so early. I have been working with other agencies and they're all still on indefinite hold. Also, they should be paying him/her to drive to the test center if it is that far.

Glad I already have a BQ score, as I would personally refuse to do this right now. It gives me a sour taste in my mouth about FAA. AlbertAlbert I believe you're eligible to roll over for like a couple of years, but ask HR. There's a number in the original job advertisement.
Thanks for the support. Yes glad I have BQ as well and after looking into it it's still eligible, looks like it lasts 3 years and I took it in 2018.
I took that test 5 miles away but my city doesn't have a testing site this time around for some reason. I would still be hesitant even then to retake it in the current circumstances to be honest. I might do even worse on it having to deal with COVID procedures, can't imagine doing this test in a face mask for 2 hours.

Last edited:
Good grief, on this topic my opinion is different. It's $30...assuming you're not absolutely broke, buy the software, it's not expensive.

Nah, we are of the same opinion, if it were me(and when it was I did) I would buy it. I mean if it’s the first deciding factor in potentially getting the job it doesn’t make sense not to get it. It’s like not buying notecards to study, memorization works best by doing it multiple times over and over again.

My parting comments were to appease those who would reply “well I didn’t use it and I got a BQ” statement. It’s again one of those things where YMMV

LOL the FAA shouldn’t, and will never, pay anyone to complete a pre-employment requirement. You are applying to get a job with the FAA. They’re not recruiting you. They owe you nothing. I swear, the entitlement attitudes from some of you people is insane.

Also, it’s PSI, not the FAA that schedules the tests. So blame them if you think they’re moving forward too early.

Last edited:
LOL the FAA shouldn’t, and will never, pay anyone to complete a pre-employment requirement. You are applying to get a job with the FAA. They’re not recruiting you. They owe you nothing. I swear, some of the entitlement attitudes from some of you people is insane.

Also, it’s PSI, not the FAA that scheduled the tests. So blame them if you think they’re moving forward too early.
Agreed. Do you guys know how much money pilots and aircraft dispatchers have to spend on testing for their certificates? The FAA could ultimately make us pay for all this but they're not. We've got it good

The FAA didnt even give anyone per diem at the academy at some point. You lived off your minimum wage salary.
True, our facrep was in one of the last classes that didn’t receive per diem. Said a lot of trainees had to go on food stamps just to survive. And those were FAA employees. Not applicants working on the very first step of the process.

One other word of friendly advice to the new applicants as well, if you’re worried about taking the test now because you think you might score lower with all the COVID stuff going on, you may want to consider the career you’re trying to get into. Performing under intense pressure with challenging circumstances is literally what the job is about. Also FYI, controllers across the country are controlling live traffic wearing face masks right now.

Last edited:
LOL the FAA shouldn’t, and will never, pay anyone to complete a pre-employment requirement. You are applying to get a job with the FAA. They’re not recruiting you. They owe you nothing. I swear, the entitlement attitudes from some of you people is insane.

Also, it’s PSI, not the FAA that schedules the tests. So blame them if you think they’re moving forward too early.

Disagree...totally disagree.

I've gone to interviews with other federal agencies and they've paid for travel and flights.

But hey, whatever, agree to disagree.

Disagree...totally disagree.

I've gone to interviews with other federal agencies and they've paid for travel and flights.

But hey, whatever, agree to disagree.
The ATSA is not an interview. It’s an entrance exam - basically an extension of the application. Everyone who meets the basic qualifications is invited to take it. The FAA is already paying PSI to allow you to take it. The idea that they should also cut you a check to drive to take it or buy you a plane ticket is absolutely ridiculous. But if you think you’re entitled to stuff like that, go right ahead.

I have re downloaded/purchased ATC prep on my Dell laptop (I bought the Windows version), but when I click on it nothing happens. Not sure what the issue is. Anyone have this issue and got it to open?

Took the ATSA in 2018. I passed the first section with the maths/memorization with flying colors probably getting every question correct. Did okay on the positioning part with the images of the big plane and small plane. Bombed the radar with the problems at the bottom. Bombed the section with the logic and reasoning questions. Did fairly well on the reading comprehension. Answered the survey with answers I'd assume they'd want in an ideal candidate. Scored Best Qualified and got a TOL. I didn't study for anything at all. Just walked in on test day and took it. Either you're able to answer the questions and complete the sections or you can't. Nothing else to it. To each their own. Good luck to all. Also, there are a bunch more hoops to jump through and waiting if you manage to make it pass the ATSA.

Fyi this will get you a ticket to a tier 2 on youe mmpi.
Seriously, just be honest on the MMPI. We all have weird stuff in our lives, and you won’t be able to explain it. I was 100% honest about all my quirks, and I got past it. Just don’t lie yourself into having an extra interview or tier 2.

Fyi this will get you a ticket to a tier 2 on youe mmpi.
I took the MMPI and completed it in about 20 minutes. The survey in the ATSA has nothing to do with the MMPI. I was never tier 2'ed. But yes, I see where you're coming from in regards to the MMPI. The survey in the ATSA and the MMPI are two completely different severities, and the MMPI should be answered with all honesty. The MMPI didn't require much thinking and took me about only 1 - 2 seconds per question. May be different for others and that's okay.

Last edited:
One other word of friendly advice to the new applicants as well, if you’re worried about taking the test now because you think you might score lower with all the COVID stuff going on, you may want to consider the career you’re trying to get into. Performing under intense pressure with challenging circumstances is literally what the job is about. Also FYI, controllers across the country are controlling live traffic wearing face masks right now.
Alright but if I already got a BQ I can roll over then why would I want to retake the test in a more stressful environment. That was obviously my point.

Alright but if I already got a BQ I can roll over then why would I want to retake the test in a more stressful environment. That was obviously my point.

The BQ is no longer a thing, are you referring to the ATSA, if so you wouldn't know what your score is.

Back
Top Bottom