Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

I have a unique situation on hand, wondering if anyone else had something similar.

I am a recent college grad of AUG 2019 from a FAA CTI certified school for ATC, qualifying me for Pool 1.
I applied in the June 2019 bid but was forced Pool 2 because of my lovely school, and received a Qualify score with no referred.

This Jan 2020 bid I applied for Pool 1 and signed up to take my ATSA test in late May, but now seeing that some WQ scores made it in Pool 1 last bid I am reconsidering retaking and maybe will roll my scores over. I agree that you should try for at least a BQ and now after experiencing the test I can say anyone will do better their second time around knowing what it is like going into it.

I would also like to add that ATCPrep.com software was helpful in showing what the test would look like and the process, just wish there was a way to speed it up as the ATSA was faster paced.

I have a question. I took the ATSA in late 2017 and passed--ended up having to turn down the eventual FOL due to extenuating life circumstances at the time. I applied to this bid and just received an email to schedule the ATSA. Shouldn't my last results still be valid since it hasn't been three years yet?

I have a unique situation on hand, wondering if anyone else had something similar.

I am a recent college grad of AUG 2019 from a FAA CTI certified school for ATC, qualifying me for Pool 1.
I applied in the June 2019 bid but was forced Pool 2 because of my lovely school, and received a Qualify score with no referred.

This Jan 2020 bid I applied for Pool 1 and signed up to take my ATSA test in late May, but now seeing that some WQ scores made it in Pool 1 last bid I am reconsidering retaking and maybe will roll my scores over. I agree that you should try for at least a BQ and now after experiencing the test I can say anyone will do better their second time around knowing what it is like going into it.

I would also like to add that ATCPrep.com software was helpful in showing what the test would look like and the process, just wish there was a way to speed it up as the ATSA was faster paced.
So you received a qualified score, not well qualified, right? There's no guarantee what the FAA will do. Ever. I don't know if any qualified pool 1 applicants got a TOL last bid. I even saw like one or two pool 1 applicants with a BQ and some with WQ score that didn't even receive a TOL for some reason.

Personally, I would retake the test. With everything happening right now and with the traffic count down for who knows how long, it's possible that they may not take as many applicants from this bid than previous bids (just my theory). I think of this as a competition. If all other applicants score well or best qualified, your qualified score won't pass. I've read that the 10% difference rule is out of the equation, too. Not sure if that benefits pool 1 still or not.

I would also suggest always taking the ATSA, it's the easiest thing in the FAA and a "Best Qualified" last year is subjective to the pool of applicants.

i
You tried to apply to Pool 1 before you graduated? That has nothing to do with your lovely school. You didn't qualify for Pool 1 and you're lucky your application wasn't rejected at that point.

Take the test again. If you didn't get a TOL you didn't score high enough.

I have re downloaded/purchased ATC prep on my Dell laptop (I bought the Windows version), but when I click on it nothing happens. Not sure what the issue is. Anyone have this issue and got it to open?
I am having the same issue. The message I get is "Your system environment has changed or your license period has expired. Please request a new activation key"

Everyone will make their own decision but YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TEST AGAIN IF YOU ARE ABLE TO. Forget everything you’ve heard or experienced as there are no guarantees that this bid’s hiring will be treated as previous years. Here is why I think you should take the test again:
1. You should be able to do better on the test assuming it has not changed. The first time I took the ATSA, even though I scored Best Qualified, I thought I did poorly on the reading comprehension and logic questions. The second time I flew through this section as I was better prepared. If you use the ATC Prep software, there is no reason you should do worse.
2. No more 10% rule. This could negatively impact the number of Pool 1 candidates or Pool 2 candidates selected. Previously, it seemed that Pool 2 candidates had to score Best Qualified to get selected while some Pool 1 candidates were selected with worse scores. From my understanding, the rule change could mean that they stop selecting Pool 1 candidates that do not score Best Qualified, as long as they give preference to Pool 1 candidates amongst the Best Qualified candidates. On the other hand, they could just give Pool 1 candidates more preference.
3. While you may hear that the FAA is understaffed with controllers, according to the ATC Workforce Plan, hiring numbers are stagnating and decreasing in the near future. A lot of people are fighting for a few spots. Hell, the current pandemic may have an impact.

If you have a shot to increase your score in a highly competitive hiring process, even if there is a risk you might do worst or waste a few hours, I don’t see much logic in not taking the opportunity if you want the job.

I would highly recommend retaking the ATSA. On the June 2019 Bid, I was in Pool 1, form graduating from a CTI school. I got a "Qualified' score and did not receive a TOL. I am retaking. The other thread for last year it was explained they pull from an algorithm. If true, it would pull higher scores first. Sadly, like yourself.... they have to be within 10% of one another, so the lower you score the least likely you are to make it because, its "only fair" that Pool 2 applicants get the same opportunity... but that's another topic, for another time. Good Luck.

Everyone will make their own decision but YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TEST AGAIN IF YOU ARE ABLE TO. Forget everything you’ve heard or experienced as there are no guarantees that this bid’s hiring will be treated as previous years. Here is why I think you should take the test again:
1. You should be able to do better on the test assuming it has not changed. The first time I took the ATSA, even though I scored Best Qualified, I thought I did poorly on the reading comprehension and logic questions. The second time I flew through this section as I was better prepared. If you use the ATC Prep software, there is no reason you should do worse.
2. No more 10% rule. This could negatively impact the number of Pool 1 candidates or Pool 2 candidates selected. Previously, it seemed that Pool 2 candidates had to score Best Qualified to get selected while some Pool 1 candidates were selected with worse scores. From my understanding, the rule change could mean that they stop selecting Pool 1 candidates that do not score Best Qualified, as long as they give preference to Pool 1 candidates amongst the Best Qualified candidates. On the other hand, they could just give Pool 1 candidates more preference.
3. While you may hear that the FAA is understaffed with controllers, according to the ATC Workforce Plan, hiring numbers are stagnating and decreasing in the near future. A lot of people are fighting for a few spots. Hell, the current pandemic may have an impact.

If you have a shot to increase your score in a highly competitive hiring process, even if there is a risk you might do worst or waste a few hours, I don’t see much logic in not taking the opportunity if you want the job.
Attach the link to the "10%" rule you are talking about. I have not read it nor can I see any changes on the hiring process.

I am having the same issue. The message I get is "Your system environment has changed or your license period has expired. Please request a new activation key"

I got it to work on a friend's computer, could never get it to work on mine. Are you trying to reuse it from a past bid? I think it expires after a certain time and you have to repurchase.

I got it to work on a friend's computer, could never get it to work on mine. Are you trying to reuse it from a past bid? I think it expires after a certain time and you have to repurchase.
You should not have to repurchase. Contact them and ask for a new key. I did this between the 2018 and 2019 bid. They responded within a day or two.

I have a question. I took the ATSA in late 2017 and passed--ended up having to turn down the eventual FOL due to extenuating life circumstances at the time. I applied to this bid and just received an email to schedule the ATSA. Shouldn't my last results still be valid since it hasn't been three years yet?

FWIW, I was in contact with HR today about using my 10/2017 ATSA results and they said they expect to generate referral lists in July/August so my ATSA results will not have expired by then. Seems like there are many questions regarding the test

Back
Top Bottom