Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

How were you able to answer a quantitative question when the MMPI only comprises of yes or no answers?
I guess to be fair, the test I was referring to was a compilation of the MMPI2, California Psychological Inventory, Personality Assessment Inventory, and State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory. It was over 1200 multiple-guess questions done on a Scantron card and they scheduled you 6 hours to take it. If you weren't suicidal when you started chances are you would be by the end.

I don’t remember the test exactly but it can ask things like. Do you get drunk after 2-3 drinks.
I'd assume the question preceeding this would be 'Do you drink', to which if you answered 'no', how would you even answer this question? If you don't drink how would you know how many drinks it'd take to get you drunk... If you answer yes then what context do they look at that in, and if you answer no would they assume you're lying when you said you don't drink? I know I'm over thinking it but questions like this I feel like can make you fail the test.
I guess to be fair, the test I was referring to was a compilation of the MMPI2, California Psychological Inventory, Personality Assessment Inventory, and State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory. It was over 1200 multiple-guess questions done on a Scantron card and they scheduled you 6 hours to take it. If you weren't suicidal when you started chances are you would be by the end.
Wow that sounds like an absolute nightmare.

That's why it blows my mind the FAA doesn't automatically sit you down with a psych after testing like almost every other agency that has you take an MMPI does, because some answers require an explanation. I've always "failed" them because when it asks if you love your mother or father my answer is no - I've never met my father and my mother and step-father were abusive. On top of that, with the job I have now I "failed" the MMPI because I said I didn't drink, and when it asked how much it took me to get drunk I said "2-3 drinks" which they felt was a lot, even though it was the lowest answer. Generally, after five minutes of sitting with a psych they make a note and the process moves on.

Instead with the FAA, I get to be delayed for a few months.

well that's one of the questions that you should be answering yes to

im sure theres some statistic out there that says people that dont grow up in a stable household are more likely to have some mental or emotional problem than those that do and thats why that might be a weeder question

Apparently its HIGHLY recommended that one sit down with a psychologist before taking the MMPI, which makes total sense. I've taken 2 polygraphs and it's basically required to sit down with the person administering the poly to go over every single question in the packet you fill out beforehand to remove any doubt or grey area about any question. The administer is also getting a read and a baseline for you as a person.

well that's one of the questions that you should be answering yes to

im sure theres some statistic out there that says people that dont grow up in a stable household are more likely to have some mental or emotional problem than those that do and thats why that might be a weeder question
Right, except I was adopted by my grandparents at a young age and raised in a perfectly stable household. Questions like that are a joke when there's no context and no way to explain your answers.

The results a psychologist sees are nothing more than a graph, multiple of them to be specific. I've got copies of ones I've taken in the past, but you can also see the result output with a quick Google search. If you don't fall within the certain range it's an automatic "failure."

Last edited:
Apparently its HIGHLY recommended that one sit down with a psychologist before taking the MMPI, which makes total sense. I've taken 2 polygraphs and it's basically required to sit down with the person administering the poly to go over every single question in the packet you fill out beforehand to remove any doubt or grey area about any question. The administer is also getting a read and a baseline for you as a person.
I've never heard that recommendation for air traffic control.

Right, except I was adopted by my grandparents at a young age and raised in a perfectly stable household. Questions like that are a joke when there's no context and no way to explain your answers.

The results a psychologist sees are nothing more than a graph, multiple of them to be specific. I've got copies of ones I've taken in the past, but you can also see the result output with a quick Google search. If you don't fall within the certain range it's an automatic "failure."

yeah but you seem to be intelligent enough to realize that the test makes its own rules and that you have to play by those rules if you want to pass. so those joke questions are actually easy questions because if you're trying to pass then you would answer yes

In that case I would probably have just answered the question as if it was being asked about my grandparents.

You don't want to outright lie on the MMPI or try to make yourself look better than you are, but you also have to realize that it was developed in the 50s... they probably don't look at the "are you a good little straight boy/girl or are you a nasty deviant who likes flowers/cars instead" questions anymore but maybe they do. There's a question about whether you like to kill animals, probably they mean "do you torture kittens" instead of "do you hunt deer" so don't twist yourself in a knot over it. The whole thing is a joke.

It's as simple as do I love my parents? yes. Do I like to kill animals? no. Do I hate my father? no. The people that overthink the questions are the ones getting tier-2'd. Don't waste your time and money going to a psychologist to "prep" for it. There are a couple questions where you could legitimately answer yes and no. Remember that question and your answer because they are going to ask you the same question again slightly differently to see if you change your answer or not.

You guys are WAY overthinking this. Literally you should spend five, maybe ten, seconds per question. Go with your gut and initial reaction. Don't read too much into it or stop to think what answer "they want".
Did exactly this. I was honest and not overthinking, while answering consistently and I still got Tier 2. Yes I'm still salty and will be jealous once you guys have your class dates while I wait several months to see a shrink to make sure I'm not crazy ?

Wow, one year. Wild. I REALLY hope they start sending out FOLs soon!! Or dates, I'd settle for dates!
Check out the previous OTS bids from 2019 and even 2018... there are some sorry folks who have been waiting for nearly 3 years or more now since they applied.

I couldn't imagine. I haven't even been at one single job that long ??

The computer does a preliminary scoring, then a psychologist interprets the scores and flags anything they think is important. Doesn't take long at all. Then they forward their evaluation to medical.
I understand. So it’s not clear until the flight surgeon reviews the flags. Just asking because I was told that my medical packet is with the flight surgeon for review and I’ve been waiting for an email on what they say.

I just received my CIL and I'm wondering if it is best to e-mail my POC for MMPI scheduling or call them? The list provides both e-mail and phone number but I'm not sure if calling is frowned upon or not.

Back
Top Bottom