Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Has anyone gotten the tol for this bid but not gotten anything regarding medical paperwork yet?
I got my medical paperwork minutes after I got the CIL (which came after EODS, and EODS came after TOL).

I'm waiting on initial contact by security. I was told specifically to wait up to 10 business days before reaching out to the PoC.

I’m just trying to remain positive in these dark times haha

Positive for me imho would be a longer wait considering the "training backlog" out of OKC...I mean unless you're painfully underemployed/unemployed or your job is completely unbearable at the present ?.

Last edited:
TL;DR; COVID has made everything crazy and I want it to boil over and stuff to get back to normal in ramp up timelines for new ATCSes.
I would assume that training times are basically never going to recover. This IS going to be normal for the foreseeable future. Better to wait while already in the agency rather than out. Unless you're already making good money. And if you're already making good money, I'm not sure what appeal ATC would have.

Has anyone gotten the tol for this bid but not gotten anything regarding medical paperwork yet?
I think a few people who received TOLs in July on are the same boat. If you haven't gotten your EODS emails, I'd consider giving someone a call.

I would assume that training times are basically never going to recover. This IS going to be normal for the foreseeable future. Better to wait while already in the agency rather than out. Unless you're already making good money. And if you're already making good money, I'm not sure what appeal ATC would have.
Call me privileged (as I am in this boat myself at the moment), but I believe you can make decent money and not be happy with your job/career. It's a thing ?.

There's a reason why some people end up teaching when they could make 4-5x the money using their knowledge for the private sector or the government for instance.

Call me privileged (as I am in this boat myself at the moment), but I believe you can make decent money and not be happy with your job/career. It's a thing ?.

There's a reason why some people end up teaching when they could make 4-5x the money using their knowledge for the private sector or the government for instance.
Not here to judge. Free country and what not. You do you. I'm just in the boat of hating my job AND not making any money/ benefits. The $15/hour at the academy is gonna be a raise for me, and I wouldn't say insurance is my passion. So the wait is grueling to say the least.

Honestly not doing great. I applied to this job because I had been unhappy in my current career for about 2 years, so the additional year+ of waiting has been especially rough. Luckily I own my home, so I don't have to worry about renewing a lease. I guess that's a silver lining.
I've thought about going ahead and quitting my job to wait tables for a while or something, but I feel like the moment I do, everything will shut down again.
I feel the same way. I was unhappy in my role(airport operations), but I was willing to stick it out until I got a class date. Then with the new Delta variant of Covid, I didn't want to get stuck in that position for another year or more waiting. So I took another position until I do get a class date. I just received my CIL today, so I am still in the very early stages of waiting.

I feel the same way. I was unhappy in my role(airport operations), but I was willing to stick it out until I got a class date. Then with the new Delta variant of Covid, I didn't want to get stuck in that position for another year or more waiting. So I took another position until I do get a class date. I just received my CIL today, so I am still in the very early stages of waiting.
Stay strong dude. I'm sure in hindsight, the wait will seem short. Just brutal when you're actually living it.

Stay strong dude. I'm sure in hindsight, the wait will seem short. Just brutal when you're actually living it.
For sure. I was very leery about taking a new position after accepting the TOL, but I was up front with them when I interviewed that I was in this process. They really needed a new aviation teacher, so they were fine with it.

Just out of curiosity, how many other people are like TRULY off the street? Seems like a lot of people may not have ATC experience, but still have some sort of interest or aviation adjacent job. But I dropped out of music school and am currently an insurance agent. Literally 0 aviation background. Anyone else similar?
I'm an Accountant.

Just out of curiosity, how many other people are like TRULY off the street? Seems like a lot of people may not have ATC experience, but still have some sort of interest or aviation adjacent job. But I dropped out of music school and am currently an insurance agent. Literally 0 aviation background. Anyone else similar?
I got my aviation degree but didn't directly go into the field until about 2 years ago. I was an insurance agent for a short period of time. That work can be tough, especially on commission based salary. Feast or Famine.

I got my aviation degree but didn't directly go into the field until about 2 years ago. I was an insurance agent for a short period of time. That work can be tough, especially on commission based salary. Feast or Famine.
Yup, I'm decent enough at sales, but I am so ready to do ANYTHING else. It was fun at first when it was a puzzle to solve, but now it's just a never-ending grind. Grateful for everything I've learned about insurance, but sick of trying to appease people who only care about the bottom line and couldn't give a sh*t about your professional advice.

Back
Top Bottom