Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Today I finished and passed virtual basics. For all of you still waiting, I have a quick word of advice, that i personally would have liked to have known ahead of time.

I had 0 formal aviation knowledge going into this. From lurking this site, to watching aviation videos and channels on YouTube, some info of course trickled into my brain the past year. But all I truly knew ahead of time was my phonetic alphabet and Zulu time, not exactly a giant milestone.

As such, there were some days in Basics that I felt completely out of my element. Sometimes I wouldnt bother asking a question because I simply had no context on what was what, I was lost and the only answer was time (later) reading and re-reading the material. Some lessons are far more intuitive because of the subject matter. Some will require pure memorization. It wasnt until about day 3 that I realized I was going to be taking A LOT of notes. This was also the day I realized that virtual learning is not my strong suit because I'm very much used to being in person, I find it easier to concentrate and absorb info that way. I havent been in a classroom since 2015 and that was trade school, far easier. All in all, I underestimated the situation going in.

So, in hindsight I would have done this instead: started taking detailed notes in a single binder on day one. I'd spend more time reading the material after class, and not just during the time allotted in class (which there is plenty). And I would have used the last few months to introduce myself to aviation terms, items, equipment and procedures just to break the ice. Dont try to "learn" something in detail, just get your beak wet. In less than a month's time, there was a ton of subject matter I had to be introduced to, digest, learn, and memorize. That's not easy imho. It's nowhere near impossible, but looking back, that's really where my only stress was: "I'm trying so hard to learn brand new info this week that I'm forgetting the brand new info I learned last week that I was finally getting a grasp on."

That's all I got, goodluck and godspeed everyone.

Today I finished and passed virtual basics. For all of you still waiting, I have a quick word of advice, that i personally would have liked to have known ahead of time.

I had 0 formal aviation knowledge going into this. From lurking this site, to watching aviation videos and channels on YouTube, some info of course trickled into my brain the past year. But all I truly knew ahead of time was my phonetic alphabet and Zulu time, not exactly a giant milestone.

As such, there were some days in Basics that I felt completely out of my element. Sometimes I wouldnt bother asking a question because I simply had no context on what was what, I was lost and the only answer was time (later) reading and re-reading the material. Some lessons are far more intuitive because of the subject matter. Some will require pure memorization. It wasnt until about day 3 that I realized I was going to be taking A LOT of notes. This was also the day I realized that virtual learning is not my strong suit because I'm very much used to being in person, I find it easier to concentrate and absorb info that way. I havent been in a classroom since 2015 and that was trade school, far easier. All in all, I underestimated the situation going in.

So, in hindsight I would have done this instead: started taking detailed notes in a single binder on day one. I'd spend more time reading the material after class, and not just during the time allotted in class (which there is plenty). And I would have used the last few months to introduce myself to aviation terms, items, equipment and procedures just to break the ice. Dont try to "learn" something in detail, just get your beak wet. In less than a month's time, there was a ton of subject matter I had to be introduced to, digest, learn, and memorize. That's not easy imho. It's nowhere near impossible, but looking back, that's really where my only stress was: "I'm trying so hard to learn brand new info this week that I'm forgetting the brand new info I learned last week that I was finally getting a grasp on."

If you want to expose before class I’d look at materials or YouTube videos for people taking private pilot ground school.

You can also use this site... there's a ton of people here who can help, post questions, study sessions, etc... virtual learning has drawbacks but it also opens up avenues. I've looked into the idea of a "study hall", but never got much feedback/interest.

You can also use this site... there's a ton of people here who can help, post questions, study sessions, etc... virtual learning has drawbacks but it also opens up avenues. I've looked into the idea of a "study hall", but never got much feedback/interest.
I'd love the idea of a "study hall" thread for people in the academy. I guess I assumed that's what the specific class date threads would turn into.

edit: maybe even more specific threads like basics, en route, terminal, etc.

If you want to expose before class I’d look at materials or YouTube videos for people taking private pilot ground school.
You just indirectly answered my earlier question.

If you have cash to burn, I'd think going for a pilot's license is a better idea imho. It's not location dependent and it's a permanent credential once you do the checkride.

That experience is probably useful, maybe? I don't know...if there are other pilot controllers here, what is your take?
My only comment is that a private pilots license (thousands $) would do you zero good. You’d need to add an instrument rating (thousands $), and a commercial license (thousands $), then get enough hours/experience to be employable as a pilot.
Nahhh I mean in terms of being helpful to understanding ATC procedures/protocols/airspace/etc and sympathizing with the "customers", aka the pilots, vs. the idea of being a rated pilot and a controller simultaneously giving someone the wrong habits/ideas about how to do things day to day as a controller from all that previous context.

I'm not talking about actually making $$$ as a pilot, that's a different story, obviously! I would think it is would be hard to do commercial flying, especially 121, while acting as a CPC (possibly even against one's terms of employment with the FAA)
Is instrument knowledge helpful as well as a atcs trainee? I've been holding off on buying the Sportys videos since I got my PPL a month and a half ago for a deal on them ?.

Last edited:
You just indirectly answered my earlier question.

Is instrument knowledge helpful as well as a atcs trainee? I've been holding off on buying the Sportys videos since I got my PPL a month and a half ago for a deal on them ?.
No. I’d just focus on PPL. Weather is probably the hardest block in basics. The map block is also tough for some. Then you got navaids, and general stuff about flying and the atc system.

This site is invaluable for so many reasons, but I never considered reaching out for "help". Perhaps I will now that I'm headed to OKC and it's getting serious. I'm the type of person who watches for a long while from the edge of the room, lest I open my mouth and make a fool of myself, or quickly dry up any patience that you old timers have. :D

This site is invaluable for so many reasons, but I never considered reaching out for "help". Perhaps I will now that I'm headed to OKC and it's getting serious. I'm the type of person who watches for a long while from the edge of the room, lest I open my mouth and make a fool of myself, or quickly dry up any patience that you old timers have. :D
my class finishes basics next week :) see you in OKC

I

I sent her an email today because it’s been about a month and a half since I last checked in. It was just an automated out of the office email response. Believe me, I’m not really in the know or anything ?
She is definetly in office.

Thank you for sharing this

Why would other controllers care if I bought a house? First I hear "dont tell them you wanna leave" which makes some sense, as theyd lose some help. Now its "dont tell them you bought a house" which to me indicates full intention to stick around a while?

I'm starting to think controllers are just like everyone else in this world: some are just gonna dislike you no matter what you do or say.
Because they have this persona that you're cocky and sure of yourself that you're going to cpc and not wash.

If Typeass's post was trying to convey "dont buy a house while training, you may think you're doing well but I've seen people shitcanned for the silliest reasons; it can be a popularity contest" then I understand and while unfortunate, I get it.
But I read it as "dont buy a house while training, other controllers can be assholes and will not like that move." Which is why i was so incredulous.
You can do whatever you want. I didnt say dont do it. I said dont go blabbling about it. Keep it to yourself.

That’s boomer stuff. No one cares if you buy a house anymore
Still some dumbasses that care. They talk shit when trainees roll in with new cars.

I’m a week away from nonradar evals. Feel free to message me with any questions once you get here! I just did nonradar 11, 12, and 13 last night and you’ll understand once you run them…some people quit after those problems. Nonradar is a rollercoaster. You finally get it, and then they kick the problems up not just one notch, but a ton. I’m here to say stick with it! Let me know if I can help! Everyone here tries to help the classes after them as much as possible which is awesome

Because they have this persona that you're cocky and sure of yourself that you're going to cpc and not wash.

You can do whatever you want. I didnt say dont do it. I said dont go blabbling about it. Keep it to yourself.

Still some dumbasses that care. They talk shit when trainees roll in with new cars.
Yah no one cares about those dumbasses tho. There aren’t enough of them to matter

Back
Top Bottom