Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Honestly not doing great. I applied to this job because I had been unhappy in my current career for about 2 years, so the additional year+ of waiting has been especially rough. Luckily I own my home, so I don't have to worry about renewing a lease. I guess that's a silver lining.
I've thought about going ahead and quitting my job to wait tables for a while or something, but I feel like the moment I do, everything will shut down again.
Why don’t you apply to be an RPO at the academy and learn stuff while you wait?

I have a mortgage I have to pay. don't want to pay for more housing than I have to. I'm not selling my house until I have a facility.
My husband and I owned our house before we both went to the Academy at the same time. It wasn't that hard to sell. Plus, it's still a seller's market. The big headache will be finding somewhere at the new facility and everyone is going to have to deal with that.

My husband and I owned our house before we both went to the Academy at the same time. It wasn't that hard to sell. Plus, it's still a seller's market. The big headache will be finding somewhere at the new facility and everyone is going to have to deal with that.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about selling. Probably gonna go back to renting for a while before we buy again. Doesn't do much good to sell in a seller's market if you have to turn around and buy again when the market is still high.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about selling. Probably gonna go back to renting for a while before we buy again. Doesn't do much good to sell in a seller's market if you have to turn around and buy again when the market is still high.
True and smart. Plus, many people on here will tell you to wait until you check out anyway. Just in case.
We didn't. We bought before we even started training cuz COVID lol

True and smart. Plus, many people on here will tell you to wait until you check out anyway. Just in case.
We didn't. We bought before we even started training cuz COVID lol
Considering how long the training times are, we probably won't wait THAT long to buy again. We just want to get our bearings in a new place before we commit to buying again. If the market is more favorable by then, even better.

Just dont go around telling everyone you bought a house while training. Controllers are assholes and ive seen people that could do the job wash out for even stupider things. Much of training is a popularity contest and if someone doesnt like you, youll have a target on your back.

Just dont go around telling everyone you bought a house while training. Controllers are assholes and ive seen people that could do the job wash out for even stupider things. Much of training is a popularity contest and if someone doesnt like you, youll have a target on your back.
It's disappointing to hear that training is so subjective, but my first and only priority is the academy. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Plan on just keeping my head down and doing what I need to do.

Why don’t you apply to be an RPO at the academy and learn stuff while you wait?
I have a mortgage I have to pay. don't want to pay for more housing than I have to. I'm not selling my house until I have a facility.
If you have cash to burn, I'd think going for a pilot's license is a better idea imho. It's not location dependent and it's a permanent credential once you do the checkride.

That experience is probably useful, maybe? I don't know...if there are other pilot controllers here, what is your take?

If you have cash to burn, I'd think going for a pilot's license is a better idea imho. It's not location dependent and it's a permanent credential once you do the checkride.

That experience is probably useful, maybe? I don't know...if there are other pilot controllers here, what is your take?
Before like, 1999 I wanna say, all controllers had to be pilots. Someone else mentioned here that there is some overlap today as well

If I had cash to burn, I'd would've quit already.

My only comment is that a private pilots license (thousands $) would do you zero good. You’d need to add an instrument rating (thousands $), and a commercial license (thousands $), then get enough hours/experience to be employable as a pilot.

My only comment is that a private pilots license (thousands $) would do you zero good. You’d need to add an instrument rating (thousands $), and a commercial license (thousands $), then get enough hours/experience to be employable as a pilot.
Nahhh I mean in terms of being helpful to understanding ATC procedures/protocols/airspace/etc and sympathizing with the "customers", aka the pilots, vs. the idea of being a rated pilot and a controller simultaneously giving someone the wrong habits/ideas about how to do things day to day as a controller from all that previous context.

I'm not talking about actually making $$$ as a pilot, that's a different story, obviously! I would think it is would be hard to do commercial flying, especially 121, while acting as a CPC (possibly even against one's terms of employment with the FAA)

It's disappointing to hear that training is so subjective, but my first and only priority is the academy. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Plan on just keeping my head down and doing what I need to do.
It really depends on your facility. Basically just keep your head down until you know how the people are. We got lucky. There a great culture at my facility and our coworkers are very supportive. But they have horror stories about THEIR time in training when it was a very different story.

Why would other controllers care if I bought a house? First I hear "dont tell them you wanna leave" which makes some sense, as theyd lose some help. Now its "dont tell them you bought a house" which to me indicates full intention to stick around a while?

I'm starting to think controllers are just like everyone else in this world: some are just gonna dislike you no matter what you do or say.

Why would other controllers care if I bought a house? First I hear "dont tell them you wanna leave" which makes some sense, as theyd lose some help. Now its "dont tell them you bought a house" which to me indicates full intention to stick around a while?

I'm starting to think controllers are just like everyone else in this world: some are just gonna dislike you no matter what you do or say.
Old stigmas/habits die hard.

The whole “leaving” thing nowadays is due to staffing percentages and the ability to transfer to another facility (see: NCEPT). As for home purchases, that’s on the trainee to decide.

If you’re pushing the limits of your available training hours and things are looking grim, I would suggest holding off on big purchases.

Old stigmas/habits die hard.

The whole “leaving” thing nowadays is due to staffing percentages and the ability to transfer to another facility (see: NCEPT). As for home purchases, that’s on the trainee to decide.

If you’re pushing the limits of your available training hours and things are looking grim, I would suggest holding off on big purchases.
If Typeass's post was trying to convey "dont buy a house while training, you may think you're doing well but I've seen people shitcanned for the silliest reasons; it can be a popularity contest" then I understand and while unfortunate, I get it.
But I read it as "dont buy a house while training, other controllers can be assholes and will not like that move." Which is why i was so incredulous.

Honestly not doing great. I applied to this job because I had been unhappy in my current career for about 2 years, so the additional year+ of waiting has been especially rough. Luckily I own my home, so I don't have to worry about renewing a lease. I guess that's a silver lining.
I've thought about going ahead and quitting my job to wait tables for a while or something, but I feel like the moment I do, everything will shut down again.
That is rough. The waiting for this career has been brutal, but we are approaching the end. Just keep your head high. It will all pan out, and at least you have some equity from selling your home too. Would love to do the same but Cali is too expensive on a single income lol

If Typeass's post was trying to convey "dont buy a house while training, you may think you're doing well but I've seen people shitcanned for the silliest reasons; it can be a popularity contest" then I understand and while unfortunate, I get it.
But I read it as "dont buy a house while training, other controllers can be assholes and will not like that move." Which is why i was so incredulous.
That’s where the “stigma/habits die hard” comes into play.

Some folks might take issue with the trainee buying a house. And some folks (like me) couldn’t give a shit less what you do with your income. Know your LOAs/SOPs, airspace, and get quality training to certify.

Back
Top Bottom