Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Is training not considered "full time"?
It is, but I won’t have a firm offer until July. So I’ll be doing training in October, but it is not “official” yet. And training will not pay the same, so for someone with wife and kids it’s definitely going to be something else lol

I think he meant in the interim, between him leaving his current job and Basics starting.

Basics and the academy are full time, no worries there.
Yes. It’s the couple months in between where it’s random work to get through that will be crazy. But it will be worth it in the long run.

Is it possible that the people (myself included) that had their original test date bumped back a year were disadvantaged in the bid? To expand, I scored qualified which I'm not thrilled about (thought I did much better. Aced the collision, math, and left/right sections), plus I aged out in the course of this process.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the people (myself included) that had their original test date bumped back a year were disadvantaged in the bid? To expand, I scored qualified which I'm not thrilled about (thought I did much better. Aced the collision, math, and left/right sections), plus I aged out in the course of this process.
I'd be intrigued if this were the case. I honestly felt much worse about my most recent test (I had to retest because my results were "lost") when compared to the first time I took it. I didn't feel great about any section besides the memory tests, but somehow got WQ. Have to think I would've BQ'd the first time, but based on your account, I am less sure now.

Best of luck on the recruitment. :)

I'd be intrigued if this were the case. I honestly felt much worse about my most recent test (I had to retest because my results were "lost") when compared to the first time I took it. I didn't feel great about any section besides the memory tests, but somehow got WQ. Have to think I would've BQ'd the first time, but based on your account, I am less sure now.

Best of luck on the recruitment. :)
thank you. are you awaiting TOL or already received?

Nobody was “disadvantaged” by having their test dates pushed back. The ATSA is designed to test inherent skills. The abilities it’s trying to determine you do/do not possess are not going to change over the course of a few months, or a year. Not saying it’s a perfect test, but generally speaking, when you take it does not matter.

Nobody was “disadvantaged” by having their test dates pushed back. The ATSA is designed to test inherent skills. The abilities it’s trying to determine you do/do not possess are not going to change over the course of a few months, or a year. Not saying it’s a perfect test, but generally speaking, when you take it does not matter.
I meant in terms if we got lumped into a much larger pool due to the late test dates. Agree on your statement though.

I meant in terms if we got lumped into a much larger pool due to the late test dates. Agree on your statement though.
According to a quote from earlier in the thread.
Exactly. Here’s some numbers: not sure about TOL’s though.

8336 applicants
7391 moved on to ATSA (meaning 1,000 didn't meet minimum qual)

Due to COVID
3990(ish) took the ATSA
3400 did not*

From Pool 1 - 131 scored BQ and 63 scored WQ. 273 only scored Q. No clue how many failed.**

From Pool 2 - 424 scored BQ and 452 scored WQ. 1246 only scored Q. Also no clue how many failed.**

* These folks will be allowed to test in the future, and the last bid is still open. They wanted 1200 this year and could reach that number using the BQ and WQ folks above.
While this doesn't tell us for sure how many second round testers will get a TOL or what the qualifying score will be, it would indicate that the recent pool is most certainly smaller than the first. If we are treated similarly to last year's candidates and the FAA is still looking to hire as many controllers as it projected it would in its workforce plan, I'd say we have a fighting chance.

For the people who are further along and got to test in 2020, does your USA Jobs still say reviewing applications or does that change once TOLs go out?

Back
Top Bottom