Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-21-ALLSRCE-73599

I also took the test today. I used ATCPrep and I only did a handful of each game. I was pretty confident about these sections before, during, and after the test.

It's not the ATCPrep type of questions that got me. The personality test made me feel like I would be an incompetent controller. The reading comp and deductive reasoning sections works out to 1 minute or less per question and felt impossible with the time pressure.

Last edited:
I also took the test today. I used ATCPrep and I only did a handful of each game. I was pretty confident about these sections before, during, and after the test.

It's not the ATCPrep type of questions that got me. The personality test made me feel like I would be an incompetent controller. The reading comp and deductive reasoning sections works out to 1 minute or less per question and felt impossible with the time pressure.
I’m so glad someone feels the same way. I felt pretty confident about the games portion. But the reasoning ones I was scrambling and the personality test made me question my personality!

I’m so glad someone feels the same way. I felt pretty confident about the games portion. But the reasoning ones I was scrambling and the personality test made me question my personality!
Don't worry about it too much. They don't care about what personality you have, what they really want to know is if you'll lie as a panic response. Quickest way to get yourself shut out is to try and game the personality test, rather than just being honest.

I was an eager beaver and took the test right away. I can try to help with any questions. Biggest takeaway is that the simulation game is much easier than the practice was on JTP. I was doing the hardest setting and the test version was a breeze comparatively, probably closer to the medium and even easy setting at times. The math questions are still hard to get, they flash much quicker on the actual test.
Thanks for your thoughts!

It’s encouraging to hear Job’s collision sim is easier.

How does the visual/spatial relationship game on the ATSA compare to the one on Job?

And how were the logic reasoning/ordering questions? Were there a lot of Sally is after Tom who’s before Alex who’s in front of Sam-type questions?

And how were the equations with variables compared to Job?

I’m flooding you with questions lol my bad.

Does anyone have a technique on how they do the math so fast in their head during the ATC sim? Especially ones where the answers are decimals and all of the choices are super similar. Or do you just pick your best guess? In that case, would it be better to not answer them or randomly guess even if it's wrong?
I'm not sure if you're using ATCPrep or Jobs, but on ATCPrep I've only seen seen whole numbers and all the answers on the bottom are consecutive numbers. Just focus on figuring out what the number is going to end in. for example, if the question is 376 + 239, you don't need to figure out that the answer is 615, just that 6+9=15 and the the last number in the answer will be a 5. This works for addition, subtraction, and multiplication, but not for division. Hope that helps and let me know if that doesn't make sense and I can try to explain it in a different way.

No one knows for sure, but I will say that this was the only thing I really did different between the two times that I tested. The first time around I ignored all the math questions on the flying balls game and came out with Q, second time around I did a few questions for that section and ended up as BQ.
Did you study the first time when you got Q?

Does anyone how many variables are used on the ATSA for the value assignments and relations portion? You can pick up to 5 variables on ATCPrep, but I don't won't to stress myself out practicing for something that won't actually be that hard

Does anyone how many variables are used on the ATSA for the value assignments and relations portion? You can pick up to 5 variables on ATCPrep, but I don't won't to stress myself out practicing for something that won't actually be that hard
It’s always three.

I'm not sure if you're using ATCPrep or Jobs, but on ATCPrep I've only seen seen whole numbers and all the answers on the bottom are consecutive numbers. Just focus on figuring out what the number is going to end in. for example, if the question is 376 + 239, you don't need to figure out that the answer is 615, just that 6+9=15 and the the last number in the answer will be a 5. This works for addition, subtraction, and multiplication, but not for division. Hope that helps and let me know if that doesn't make sense and I can try to explain it in a different way.
I took the ATSA last year and there are decimal point answers

How does the visual/spatial relationship game on the ATSA compare to the one on Job?

And how were the logic reasoning/ordering questions? Were there a lot of Sally is after Tom who’s before Alex who’s in front of Sam-type questions?

I didn’t use job, but compared the Atcprep, the sim was easier, the variable equations was similar and the spatial orientation was way harder. The logic reasoning questions were somewhat like your example. Some different. It’s difficult because there isn’t a lot of time to answer the questions.

When does this testing window end? Is there somewhere that says the date? The email says to check my application three weeks after the end of the testing window.

No worries, everything else was really similar to the prep. There were a couple “long form” Sally is after Tom type questions but most of them were shorter and simpler. I struggled with the long ones on Job but found them slightly easier on the test.

Variables and spatial relationships also very similar. I will say you have to be a lot quicker on the test for spatial so I’d suggest working at getting really fast at those

All in all, I would say Job prepared me well for what to expect on the test. The games aren’t too bad. I fumbled on the spatial recognition part- felt like the test was a tick faster.
The logic and reading comprehension are what made me lose confidence. I was stuck on questions for too long and the timer kept ticking down. I would advise to just keep it moving; if you don’t know the answer, use your best guess and move on.
Definitely could have done a lot better but we’ll see when scores come out!

Took it today, the reading comprehension and deductive reasoning was the worst part because I ran out of time so quickly. You have like 10 minutes to go through all of the paragraphs and sentences, I don't see how anyone could fully read them thoroughly within the time constraints. Traffic collision was pretty easy, but the math was hard because it had decimal answers and other silly equations they wanted you to solve in 1 second practically. The multi equation section was also pretty hard, it flashes so quickly it's hard to remember the equation variables given to you. I think I still will score Q/BQ but you are definitely limit with time constraints on the test.

All in all, I would say Job prepared me well for what to expect on the test. The games aren’t too bad. I fumbled on the spatial recognition part- felt like the test was a tick faster.
The logic and reading comprehension are what made me lose confidence. I was stuck on questions for too long and the timer kept ticking down. I would advise to just keep it moving; if you don’t know the answer, use your best guess and move on.
Definitely could have done a lot better but we’ll see when scores come out!
You know what? It's interesting to hear the same thing from multiple people that the spatial/visual relationship game was hard.

On Job's spatial/relationship game (advanced setting), it says each question is timed 2 seconds.

Does anyone know if it's actually 2 seconds on the ATSA?

I bet it must've felt like 1 second when you were taking the test lol.

If it is 2 seconds, then I think I'm good, but I've found that if I try to rush myself to give an answer in 1 second on Job, then I tend to miss quite a few, so that's not what you want...

EDIT: How many minutes long would you say the spatial thing ran for? Did it seem endless, or was it a quick and painless like Job?

Last edited:
Took it today, the reading comprehension and deductive reasoning was the worst part because I ran out of time so quickly. You have like 10 minutes to go through all of the paragraphs and sentences, I don't see how anyone could fully read them thoroughly within the time constraints. Traffic collision was pretty easy, but the math was hard because it had decimal answers and other silly equations they wanted you to solve in 1 second practically. The multi equation section was also pretty hard, it flashes so quickly it's hard to remember the equation variables given to you. I think I still will score Q/BQ but you are definitely limit with time constraints on the test.
Yeah, I'm bracing for impact with the logical reasoning section because I've never been good at those, and that probably ain't changing.

I think my only path to a WQ/BQ is by performing well on all the other sections of the test.

Lovely lol
Haha dont worry too much about it, use the methods you already know and for those questions that everyone is saying were decimal points, just guess. Main focus should be on preventing collisions

Yeah, I'm bracing for impact with the logical reasoning section because I've never been good at those, and that probably ain't changing.

I think my only path to a WQ/BQ is by performing well on all the other sections of the test.
Arent there ways to study for the logical reasoning on Job? Like I think there are actual lessons they give to learn some techniques to answering those. But idk how helpful they'd be to figuring out the answers to Sally before Tom questions

Arent there ways to study for the logical reasoning on Job? Like I think there are actual lessons they give to learn some techniques to answering those. But idk how helpful they'd be to figuring out the answers to Sally before Tom questions
They do have a logical reasoning section, but I just can’t seem to figure out those types of ordering questions without pen and paper.

Back
Top Bottom