Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-21-ALLSRCE-73599

Had a bad feeling it would be that...thanks for the reply :(

So what's next then? Wait for another bid to open and retake the ATSA test? I don't suppose that my application would eventually be included at a different time.
How old are you? If you are young enough, you can retake the test. Don’t be discouraged. I went to CTI school thinking it would help me, but it didn’t help me getting in. Things have changed since then. I applied 3 times, took the test 3 times, only got qualified the first 2 times and 3rd time I got BQ. Maybe they felt bad for me this time.. nobody knows how they actually grade these tests besides the proctors and the FAA….

Retake the ATSA later, yes. Don’t be discouraged, results can vary widely between tests. Try and get ready using stuff like the job test prep app.
Job test prep and atc prep are a must. You need to spend at least 15-20 mins a do doing this right after you apply for the atc trainee position.

I emailed the FAA Aviation Careers Center about when to expect TOL's. They said to expect TOL's to be sent out sometime in January at the earliest. I scored BQ and I'm in Pool 1 so I'm crossing my fingers.
Thanks for this! I actually called them early last week to ask the same question, and guess what? I know their entire hold music catalog cuz I was on hold for f*cking three hours and nobody answered the call. And btw, who does that … spend three hours on hold? Only an idiot like me. ?

I emailed the FAA Aviation Careers Center about when to expect TOL's. They said to expect TOL's to be sent out sometime in January at the earliest. I scored BQ and I'm in Pool 1 so I'm crossing my fingers.
I can confirm. They returned my call today (I left a voicemail last week) and said it’s prob gonna be another 4-6 weeks. So we’re prob looking at the end of February at the latest … hopefully.

Just some two cents, there’s nothing that annoys the HR people more than having to respond to generic “when’s something gonna happen/what’s my status” emails and phone calls. It only further slows down the process when they have to spend their work hours responding to the flood of status update requests. Patience is a key thing in this process.

How old are you? If you are young enough, you can retake the test. Don’t be discouraged. I went to CTI school thinking it would help me, but it didn’t help me getting in. Things have changed since then. I applied 3 times, took the test 3 times, only got qualified the first 2 times and 3rd time I got BQ. Maybe they felt bad for me this time.. nobody knows how they actually grade these tests besides the proctors and the FAA….

Job test prep and atc prep are a must. You need to spend at least 15-20 mins a do doing this right after you apply for the atc trainee position.
I'm only 22 years old, turning 23 in May. Do I need to reapply in the next bid or wait for another ATSA test exam opening announcement? How will I know when I can schedule the next exam? Also thanks everyone for responding.

I'm only 22 years old, turning 23 in May. Do I need to reapply in the next bid or wait for another ATSA test exam opening announcement? How will I know when I can schedule the next exam? Also thanks everyone for responding.
Set an alert for FAA postings on USAJOBS. Apply again and if nothing changes I’d assume you just wait to be scheduled.

If you don't apply again you application will never be considered again and you'll never be offered the opportunity to take the ATSA again.

Wow, what I’d give to be 22 years old again! That was a fun time in my life and I’d love to be that age again. I’m not that much older at 28, but you have so many opportunities to retest. Practice the job test prep and atc prep religiously. Get comfortable with the feeling, put it on the hardest setting. The atc sim, focus on the traffic not the math.

You will need to reapply the same way you did to get another go at the test. It is invite only. You have to pay attention to the personality test as well. Job test prep helped me so much this time around. The previous times I used only atc prep and it didn’t help me that much. The one thing that helped me was truly, life experience.

At 22 I was a nervous wreck when it came to testing and it fucked me over. I have more life experiences now, been through the military and a civilian supervisory position now for the government. I have seen some of my dud brained classmates from college make it through the academy, so I am not worried about it. Some of them cheated on tests while in school and they passed the academy.. so I thought that if they can do it, so can I. I have those experiences to see things from a different perspective. In the mean time keep your eyes peeled for when to apply next. Keep your eyes glued to this forum or if you have cti school people to remind you, they can help with that. Typically around summer the FAA posts the opening, but it’s a short window.

It’s been a long 5-6 years since I been trying. 3rd time is truly a charm, at least for me anyways. At the end I finally came out with a BQ. I’ve never been a good test taker, so this is a surprise to me that I even made the jump from Q to BQ.

Take this time to develop your other skills just in case you don’t make it through. Even at this point, I don’t have a TOL, I am still applying for other jobs and graduate school until I have choices!

Wow, what I’d give to be 22 years old again! That was a fun time in my life and I’d love to be that age again. I’m not that much older at 28, but you have so many opportunities to retest. Practice the job test prep and atc prep religiously. Get comfortable with the feeling, put it on the hardest setting. The atc sim, focus on the traffic not the math.

You will need to reapply the same way you did to get another go at the test. It is invite only. You have to pay attention to the personality test as well. Job test prep helped me so much this time around. The previous times I used only atc prep and it didn’t help me that much. The one thing that helped me was truly, life experience.

At 22 I was a nervous wreck when it came to testing and it fucked me over. I have more life experiences now, been through the military and a civilian supervisory position now for the government. I have seen some of my dud brained classmates from college make it through the academy, so I am not worried about it. Some of them cheated on tests while in school and they passed the academy.. so I thought that if they can do it, so can I. I have those experiences to see things from a different perspective. In the mean time keep your eyes peeled for when to apply next. Keep your eyes glued to this forum or if you have cti school people to remind you, they can help with that. Typically around summer the FAA posts the opening, but it’s a short window.

It’s been a long 5-6 years since I been trying. 3rd time is truly a charm, at least for me anyways. At the end I finally came out with a BQ. I’ve never been a good test taker, so this is a surprise to me that I even made the jump from Q to BQ.

Take this time to develop your other skills just in case you don’t make it through. Even at this point, I don’t have a TOL, I am still applying for other jobs and graduate school until I have choices!
Thank you for the encouraging words. While getting ready for the ATSA I was taking a semester in a CTI school after I got my bachelors in hopes that it would increase my chances of getting hired. Seeing that I didn't make the cut this time around, I think I'm gonna take the second semester while waiting to reapply on the job application again. These past few days have been hard because I was certain that I would at least get qualified but nope... I guess I was mistaken. After recently joining this forum it really helped me out a lot and somewhat gave me the encouragement to try again. I've probably said this way to many times but thank you all, seriously. If there's any questions, I know where to look. :)

Thank you for the encouraging words. While getting ready for the ATSA I was taking a semester in a CTI school after I got my bachelors in hopes that it would increase my chances of getting hired. Seeing that I didn't make the cut this time around, I think I'm gonna take the second semester while waiting to reapply on the job application again. These past few days have been hard because I was certain that I would at least get qualified but nope... I guess I was mistaken. After recently joining this forum it really helped me out a lot and somewhat gave me the encouragement to try again. I've probably said this way to many times but thank you all, seriously. If there's any questions, I know where to look. :)
They probably felt sorry for me for trying so many times lol never give up. If you didn’t do well. See what you could improve on. Where did you struggle?

Anyone else try to get a sense of the timeline to expect based on other people's signatures on this site? It kinda seems like we've had good luck with fast turnarounds. I'm only basing that off our ATSA invite emails and then later when our scores were sent out though. If everything goes well, I'm guessing some of us could start basics later this year at the earliest.

I'm curious what people's housing situations are like right now, and what your plans are if you end up going to the academy. For my fellow renters, do you plan to break your lease and store all your stuff somewhere? Or would you continue paying rent? I'd love to hear from anyone who went through the academy what you did as well.

Anyone else try to get a sense of the timeline to expect based on other people's signatures on this site? It kinda seems like we've had good luck with fast turnarounds. I'm only basing that off our ATSA invite emails and then later when our scores were sent out though. If everything goes well, I'm guessing some of us could start basics later this year at the earliest.

I'm curious what people's housing situations are like right now, and what your plans are if you end up going to the academy. For my fellow renters, do you plan to break your lease and store all your stuff somewhere? Or would you continue paying rent? I'd love to hear from anyone who went through the academy what you did as well.
I was wondering the same thing in regards to a lease. I also wonder if travel times on 123atc are accurate? It would seem like we need to bring our stuff with us to the academy since we don’t have much time

I was wondering the same thing in regards to a lease. I also wonder if travel times on 123atc are accurate? It would seem like we need to bring our stuff with us to the academy since we don’t have much time

Our Professor had a prior student who is now a controller in California speak to us. I asked her that question and she said yes it’s usually a day to travel depending on the location where you get assigned after the academy.

Our Professor had a prior student who is now a controller in California speak to us. I asked her that question and she said yes it’s usually a day to travel depending on the location where you get assigned after the academy.
After you graduate the Academy, you also receive 64 hours of change of station leave that a lot of people use in conjunction with their travel days. i.e. if you’re allotted 2 travel days and then your facility approves all your change of station on the front end, you’ll have 2 weeks to get all your stuff moved, find an apartment and move in.

After you graduate the Academy, you also receive 64 hours of change of station leave that a lot of people use in conjunction with their travel days. i.e. if you’re allotted 2 travel days and then your facility approves all your change of station on the front end, you’ll have 2 weeks to get all your stuff moved, find an apartment and move in.
Thanks didn’t know that!

Definitely not a must.. Plenty of people make it through just fine without them.
Yup you are right. For bad test takers it’s a must. But also with that mind set you don’t have to do anything if you don’t want it bad enough.

I suspect it’s because a private company was placed in charge of the testing they can provide better results than the federal government, hence the better turn around time. Government work is not always of high quality, I know this seeing it first hand. So it could take longer to see results now that it’s in the hands of a government organization. You can expect things to make less sense once Uncle Sam is in charge of something. Just my experience of being in the federal work force and military time.

Hey all. I'm very new to this. It's my first time trying out for this job. Have no idea what to expect.
If I happen to get picked, and it's a huge "if" because I only "qualified", what happens next? Do I get auto assigned to a state? Is there some agency on my part to choose where I go or am I gonna be shot off to Alaska with no chance otherwise? Lol

Back
Top Bottom