Fed Advantage

DL0509

Trusted Contributor
Has anyone that signed up for Fed advantage had issues setting up their payroll deductions through employee express? The instructions they sent say do it through direct deposit but it looks like my entire pay check would go to them since I can't specify a dollar amount.

I didn’t have any issues. I set mine up last year but don’t remember specifically how i did it. Are you taking about long term disability?

It's one of their short term and long term plans and accident plans.I actually think I found it, there's a discrestionary allotment section that looks closer to the instructions they sent. Does this look familiar?Screenshot_20181231-191135_Chrome.jpg.

This is the first I’ve heard of this. I googled it, and it looks similar to the NATCA sponsored UNUM stuff. As I remember when I signed up for UNUM, they would cover if you lost your medical. Most, or all, of the other carriers don’t understand about the difference between a controller’s medical clearance versus unable to work in the regular average person’s case. At least that was what I was told and remember from years ago.

Anyone know if this government stuff covers losing your medical? What’s the difference? How does it compare both in coverage and cost?

I just checked. I set mine up as a financial allotment, every two weeks. $29 a paycheck coming out. I’m at a 5 tower so I can’t remember what the pricing was like except compared to unum it was better. This honesty is a better product. Natca should get rid of their ties and back the one with fedadvantage.
It's one of their short term and long term plans and accident plans.I actually think I found it, there's a discrestionary allotment section that looks closer to the instructions they sent. Does this look familiar?View attachment 2028.

Bumping this thread so others can get info on supplemental insurance options, I personally have the accident and disability insurance which is around 27 a paycheck.

That's the one I opted for, that and the accident insurance for $27 a pay period. Attached is the comparison between Feed advantage and Unum

Attachments

• Fedadvantage_comparison_NATCA.pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 101
I’m not trying to discourage anyone from buying this, but I encourage you to really dig into the fine print on both. I had the NATCA one for a few years and dropped it due to some restrictions. All plans typically DQ using it for a preexisting condition, but the definition of preexisting condition can vary greatly. For example I had a colonoscopy several years ago over an abundance of caution that came back completely clean. But if I was ever to get colon cancer, since I had a screen done however many years prior which was 100% clean the mear mention of that condition in my medical history would have for classified it as a “preexisting condition” and I would not have been able to use the policy if I wasn’t out long for treatment.

Also there is a relatively long period you have to be out for before that coverage would have taken effect, unless it changed it’s not like you could use it the next pay period or to get reimbursed for 3 weeks pay for example if you were only out that long.

That is true about the pre existing coverage, with most. I figured even if there is a waiting period I'd rather have it for down the road once the period is up. But definitely do your research before you buy into any program, for me it's worth the cost since I'm the sole financial provider in my family of 4.

Just put in a request for a personalized quote they'll send over in a few days. Anyone have any personal stories about which is better? I've had UNUM for like 4 years and never heard about FedAdvantage until a coworker told me about it last week. Seems like a pretty clear advantage, Fed will pay out til you're 65, UNUM only for 5 years so if you have any problem with filing for medical retirement (or, let's be honest, if you lose your medical and dont feel like working at the fuckin region) then Fed will cover you alot longer.

This is the first I’ve heard of this. I googled it, and it looks similar to the NATCA sponsored UNUM stuff. As I remember when I signed up for UNUM, they would cover if you lost your medical. Most, or all, of the other carriers don’t understand about the difference between a controller’s medical clearance versus unable to work in the regular average person’s case. At least that was what I was told and remember from years ago.

Anyone know if this government stuff covers losing your medical? What’s the difference? How does it compare both in coverage and cost?

Wondering if anyone had looked into the FedAdvantage plan and can verify if it specifically covers loss of medical. I have the comparison chart, but that isn't mentioned. We just sent them an email but I was hoping someone else has already asked about this...

Wondering if anyone had looked into the FedAdvantage plan and can verify if it specifically covers loss of medical. I have the comparison chart, but that isn't mentioned. We just sent them an email but I was hoping someone else has already asked about this...
Yes, after 30 days if you have the short-term. They are really good at answering questions if you put in a call to them.

I emailed them and they said this:

The loss of license section is not written for one occupation; therefore, it is a bit of a blanket statement. It is says that losing your license on its own does not make you disabled. For example, if you are a police officer and required to run a 6-minute mile to keep your license, and you can't, that does not make you disabled. At the end of the day it comes down to whether you meet the definition of a disability or not. Since claims are reviewed on a case by case basis, we can't tell you with certainty if a certain situation would receive benefits, but we can say that if a doctor diagnoses you with a medical condition or injury, and as a result you have an income loss of 20% or more, you are considered disabled under our program.

So... if you lose your medical because you get a brain tumor, then maybe. If you lose your medical because you broke your leg and are on vicodin for six months... maybe not? It doesn't seem as cut and dry as Unum's "if you lose your medical we give you money."

Back
Top Bottom