Fed Advantage

I emailed them and they said this:

So... if you lose your medical because you get a brain tumor, then maybe. If you lose your medical because you broke your leg and are on vicodin for six months... maybe not? It doesn't seem as cut and dry as Unum's "if you lose your medical we give you money."
If you get hurt and miss work. It won’t hurt to miss work.

So would the general consensus be, Fedadvantage has some great benefits but not as cut and dry and UNUM. If you want guaranteed disability benefits( if you loose your medical) then go unum. If your willing to gamble for potentially better benefits then fedadvantage?
I have fedadvantage but realize that unum open season closes tomorrow and want to make a good decision going forward.

If you want guaranteed disability benefits( if you loose your medical) then go unum.
Lol at that lol. Read the fine print if you think UNUM is guaranteed benefits. Lots of people think UNUM is another NATCA slush fund, that’s why they promote it so much.

I don’t know for sure but I know a few people it worked out for and a few that said they were screwed by it. Plus I think you have to wait 90-120-180 days before those benefits kick in unless they changed that, so make sure you have enough sick leave to bridge that gap. That’s the catch, most people don’t ever get to activate UNUM even if they have it for a permissible illness as it’s rare to lose your medical for that long before it kicks in.

So would the general consensus be, Fedadvantage has some great benefits but not as cut and dry and UNUM. If you want guaranteed disability benefits( if you loose your medical) then go unum. If your willing to gamble for potentially better benefits then fedadvantage?
I have fedadvantage but realize that unum open season closes tomorrow and want to make a good decision going forward.
Also read the definition of pre-existing conditions for UNUM. Basically anything that you were ever tested for or consulted a doctor about counts as a pre existing condition, even if you didn’t have it. And you thought Trump was put to screw pre existing condition people lol.

I have never looked into fed advantage but I know UNUM explicitly covers controllers who can’t work due to losing their medical clearance.

sorry I can’t add more to it, but I live with a disease that can lead to complications including loss of sight, so the UNUM seemed like a very cut and dry option.

Also read the definition of pre-existing conditions for UNUM. Basically anything that you were ever tested for or consulted a doctor about counts as a pre existing condition, even if you didn’t have it. And you thought Trump was put to screw pre existing condition people lol.
Well so does fed advantage. I mean these companies are in business to make money ?.

Honestly kind of like FEGLI, if you have any medical conditions, it’s better than anything commercially available.

That’s weird, I just tried to enroll in UNUM but it says I’m not eligible at this time. Isn’t open enrollment through November?

Back
Top Bottom