Government Shutdown

My wife and I used some of his basic stuff when paying down debt, but some of its unrealistic, or not needed. I understand the concept of taking no vacations until you are debt free but for my mental health, Im fine with taking a cheap out of town trip every now and then. Plus now he's pushing things like using his preferred realtors, car insurance, etc so he's just peddling for money in some cases.
Ya see I can't get behind the vacation thing at all. I used to live like that, but my wife pretty early on in our relationship was like you are going to "next year" yourself till you are too old to really enjoy it, and we started traveling a lot.

I typically have used most of my leave traveling the past few years outside of this one and it's one thing I don't regret spending money on. Definitely helps get me thru the year knowing "okay x amount of months/weeks/days and I'll be drinking cold beer on a beach or exploring some far off shit", can't imagine not doing that anymore.

Ya see I can't get behind the vacation thing at all. I used to live like that, but my wife pretty early on in our relationship was like you are going to "next year" yourself till you are too old to really enjoy it, and we started traveling a lot.

I typically have used most of my leave traveling the past few years outside of this one and it's one thing I don't regret spending money on. Definitely helps get me thru the year knowing "okay x amount of months/weeks/days and I'll be drinking cold beer on a beach or exploring some far off shit", can't imagine not doing that anymore.
I’ve never understood people who want to slave away all their life. I’m retiring the day I can after 25 years and enjoying my life

I’ve never understood people who want to slave away all their life. I’m retiring the day I can after 25 years and enjoying my life
Agree. Just in general I never have understood people who never leave a 500 mile radius around where they were born, and have no want to. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Like the number of Americans who don't even have a passport and have never once in their lives gone anywhere else is shocking to me.

Agree. Just in general I never have understood people who never leave a 500 mile radius around where they were born, and have no want to. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Like the number of Americans who don't even have a passport and have never once in their lives gone anywhere else is shocking to me.
I grew up a military kid so moving is normal for me, but my girl doesn’t want to leave her hometown that she’s spent her whole life in. I can understand both sides, at least she loves traveling

There’s a dude in my zoom academy class Who lives in Texas who said he’s only ever been to Texas and Mexico. I’m happy for him tho. He gets to see beautiful OKC soon and can really go anywhere after that if he passes.

I grew up a military kid so moving is normal for me, but my girl doesn’t want to leave her hometown that she’s spent her whole life in. I can understand both sides, at least she loves traveling
Ya I mean I get that, I'm in my hometown voluntarily, though I don't feel the absolute need to be here. I'm more speaking of people who are doing stay cations yearly just to use their time off, or burning all thier leave a day here or there on piddly shit and are actively like "no, I have no want to see anything outside of my home state/region" or who do the same trip to Branson or Disney every single year and for some reason are super excited to do it for the 14th year straight (this is almost worse imho).

Like that's just mind blowing to me.

There’s a dude in my zoom academy class Who lives in Texas who said he’s only ever been to Texas and Mexico. I’m happy for him tho. He gets to see beautiful OKC soon and can really go anywhere after that if he passes.
Ya I know a lot of those types, especially from TX. It's a big place but let's be real here... Outside of hill country and big bend if you are the outdoors type the entire state is shit.

Ya I mean I get that, I'm in my hometown voluntarily, though I don't feel the absolute need to be here. I'm more speaking of people who are doing stay cations yearly just to use their time off, or burning all thier leave a day here or there on piddly shit and are actively like "no, I have no want to see anything outside of my home state/region" or who do the same trip to Branson or Disney every single year and for some reason are super excited to do it for the 14th year straight (this is almost worse imho).

My in laws have burned two weeks of leave every year for the past 30+ years to vacation less than an hour from there current house. Granted they are in Maine, and it seems to be a culture thing up there. I'd never do that the world is to big for me to do that.

I mean, one of my end goals if I ever get to one of my "dream" facilities is to have a small (mostly) off grid cabin on a couple wooded acres that I would probably be burning most of my leave at for the rest of my career. I think there is a definite difference between boring and knowing what you're about.

I have multiple Vegas friends that all look forward to 3-4 weekend trips to Disneyland every single year; they do other trips as well, but 3 or 4 times a year for 10+ years and it never loses luster for them. If that's what makes them genuinely happy, who am I to judge?

I'm just some dude who wants to be left alone in the woods. Just as long as my wife says it's okay. ?

I'd be a little bit ticked off if we had a shutdown because I'm trying to max my TSP and as I understand it the backpay and back-contributions would be applied to calendar year 2021 instead of 2020. But that's a super first-world problem to have, and I'd definitely prefer a raise at the cost of a shutdown, as long as it wasn't too long.

Who needs an emergency fund when you can get a 0% loan through sky one
The debtor is slave to the lender.
Ramsey is pure trash. His whole strategy aligns with the typical FAA old school mentality of don't live your life until you're retired. As always, a balance is needed.

I'm down for raises, but what about the new controllers who are making bottom of the AG band and need paychecks every 2 weeks (who have already been hosed for the last 9 months as it is)? This is basically the equivalent of senior pilots deciding they don't care about the junior guys.
Too many controllers making 150k plus are living paycheck to paycheck cuz they want the two cars, boat, and RV. And then they bank on getting overtime at least once a month to help out with those payments. A lot more peace of mind to owe no one nothing.
Regarding the trainees, get a second job. Millions of people in the U.S. work second jobs to make ends meet. At least for an AG, they know it’s only a stage in life that will pass.

I mean, one of my end goals if I ever get to one of my "dream" facilities is to have a small (mostly) off grid cabin on a couple wooded acres that I would probably be burning most of my leave at for the rest of my career. I think there is a definite difference between boring and knowing what you're about.

I have multiple Vegas friends that all look forward to 3-4 weekend trips to Disneyland every single year; they do other trips as well, but 3 or 4 times a year for 10+ years and it never loses luster for them. If that's what makes them genuinely happy, who am I to judge?

I'm just some dude who wants to be left alone in the woods. Just as long as my wife says it's okay. ?
Oh I'm on board with the cabin for sure, but to me thats a weekend thing, maybe a long weekend for deer season or something and I'm still traveling.

Back
Top Bottom