Government Shutdown

better than a bunch of us getting laid off...

Although we are pleased that tonight’s impending shutdown likely will be avoided, the one-week CR reinforces our strong belief that the status quo is broken. The NAS requires a stable, predictable funding stream in order to adequately support: air traffic control services, staffing, hiring and training, long-term modernization projects, preventative maintenance, ongoing modernization to the physical infrastructure, and the timely implementation of NextGen modernization projects. The NAS continues to be challenged by the lack of a stable, predictable funding stream. The constant funding crises that arise from stop-and-go funding continue to wreak havoc on our system.
maybe they just forgot to delete that paragraph from their "we avoided a shutdown" email template lol

The general consensus is that these would be early indicators of a RIF but any talk of RIF is just purely rumor at this time, despite whatever RVP somebody says to the contrary
Why is your assumption is this logic any better than an RVPs saying that RIFs have been discussed and hence people going back to work? Do you get a lot of sand in your ears from burring your head in it?

Cocaine Mitch and Nervous Nancy along with a few other lawmakers are meeting in about half an hour to hash out a bill. Seems to be broken into two parts: one for funding the govt through September and the other for Covid relief. Cocaine Mitch seems to be willing to talk seriously. Friday at midnight is when the money runs out.

Cocaine Mitch and Nervous Nancy along with a few other lawmakers are meeting in about half an hour to hash out a bill. Seems to be broken into two parts: one for funding the govt through September and the other for Covid relief. Cocaine Mitch seems to be willing to talk seriously. Friday at midnight is when the money runs out.
They’ve done these mini shutdowns over the weekend before! I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s singed Sunday

Sounds like Mitch is feeling relieved now that he’s got the “Biden’s not president elect” monkey off his back. Hope they can figure something out.

Poll, what do you all want... a shutdown w/ a raise or no shutdown and keep current pay?
Shutdown with a raise. I would take a shutdown without a raise. I love whenever they go without hundreds of thousands of non essential people at work across the government and nothing skips a beat.

I used to think if that kept happening they would one day see that you can cut 1/4 of government employees and spending and balance the budget with no noticeable negative effects. But that was wishful thinking, those people will always just get their free vacations and be brought back 100%.

He’s good for helping people realize they can make a difference if they really stick to it but his actual advice isn’t anything special.
I have not read any of his books (I'd like to, maybe should) but the basic gist of his home budgeting plans seems to be common sense stuff.

People love the guy, maybe I'm missing something, that's kinda why I want to read the books.

That's because friday at midnight is when the cocaine runs out :lol:

I have not read any of his books (I'd like to, maybe should) but the basic gist of his home budgeting plans seems to be common sense stuff.

People love the guy, maybe I'm missing something, that's kinda why I want to read the books.
Having money saved up is good, but the guy also thinks credit cards are the devil. Credit cards got me through the last shutdown

My wife and I used some of his basic stuff when paying down debt, but some of its unrealistic, or not needed. I understand the concept of taking no vacations until you are debt free but for my mental health, Im fine with taking a cheap out of town trip every now and then. Plus now he's pushing things like using his preferred realtors, car insurance, etc so he's just peddling for money in some cases.

I’d recommend it. It definitely can’t hurt to see what his approach is. I just think he’s a zealot and won’t accept any approach but his own. I also prefer the debt avalanche over the snowball.

Ramsey is pure trash. His whole strategy aligns with the typical FAA old school mentality of don't live your life until you're retired. As always, a balance is needed.

I'm down for raises, but what about the new controllers who are making bottom of the AG band and need paychecks every 2 weeks (who have already been hosed for the last 9 months as it is)? This is basically the equivalent of senior pilots deciding they don't care about the junior guys.

Back
Top Bottom