Government Shutdown

Not sure if this affects everyone or just my facility, we are able to view our W-2’s and the pay is incorrect on them. Just a heads up in case anyone is starting to look at taxes there are only 26 pay periods on the w-2 instead of 27.

Mine is correct and includes all 27 pay periods.

Last edited:
TSP is separate from the government and is still running as usual. This also means that if you need it, you can get a TSP loan during this crap
DOT says no TSP loans during a furlough.
Q21. Can a furloughed employee obtain a loan from their Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account? If a furloughed employee has a TSP loan, what happens to the loan?
A21. An employee may not obtain a loan from their TSP account while on furlough. As to current TSP loans, employees must pay the missed payments directly to the TSP in order to avoid a taxable distribution. The Payroll Office cannot make up missed payments from payroll deductions once the employee returns to work.

Furlough FAQ

Additionally,
Can I take a TSP loan while I am in nonpay status? No. When the TSP issues you a loan, loan payments are deducted from your pay. Therefore, if you are not receiving pay, you will not be eligible for a TSP loan.
Can I take a TSP loan while I am furloughed? If the furlough is expected to last 30 days or less—yes. If the furlough will last more than 30 days—no. If you expect to be furloughed on a periodic basis (for example, one day per pay period), you can take a TSP loan but will be responsible for keeping your loan payments up to date if you don’t earn enough per pay period for your agency to make each required loan payment

https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/tspfs04.pdf

I'm not sure where you read that about current TSP loans because according to the site, this is what I had read:
Government Shutdown and Loan Payments — (January 8, 2019) The TSP allows for the suspension of loan payments when you go into nonpay status to prevent your loan from going into default. Normally, we require documentation from your agency or service. However, the TSP does not need documentation of your furlough at this time. If your loan payments were up to date prior to the furlough, missing one or two payments will not cause your loan to be in default. You can check the status of your loan by logging into My Account, selecting “TSP Loans,” and then selecting “Are my payments up to date?” Or you can call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and speak to a Participant Service Representative.
As long as retroactive pay is approved, all missed loan payments will be submitted and posted to your loan. We will provide more information as the furlough continues or as events change.

The house has made no mention of trying to reopen the DOT. They did mention trying to pass funding for the IRS department of agriculture and a few others however...

TSA is paid through the National Finance Center which is through the USDA...so maybe they are trying to get that going? Kind of like how our tax forms show Dept. of the Interior somehow. I'm not sure how or why it's like that but there it is.

Just curious how are you guys noticing the last pay period is missing.
I just checked my W-2 and my wages show what I earned through PP #26 which ended on 12/08. It should include the rest of my gross income from 12/09-12/22 for PP #27. I imagine that's how others are coming to the same conclusion. Just check out your pay statement and compare.

I just checked my W-2 and my wages show what I earned through PP #26 which ended on 12/08. It should include the rest of my gross income from 12/09-12/22 for PP #27. I imagine that's how others are coming to the same conclusion. Just check out your pay statement and compare.
Mine looks good, I was just curious if it was noted on your W-2 that y'all were missing a pay period

Just curious how are you guys noticing the last pay period is missing.
Mine looks to be right.
On the W2 look to see if the Federal Tax Withheld in box 2 matches the number on your most recent paycheck for Federal Taxes YTD.
Also, take your gross pay for the year and subtract Box 14 on the W2....that result should equal Box 5...the medicare wages and tips.

so here's a question, if i'm not getting paid my child support isn't getting paid. will they automatically take out the full amount of cs owed or will i have to do that on my own?

Did anyone check their employee express this morning and look at their PP1 stub? .haha. It says Govt shutdown hours used ytd 80. The only thing I got paid for was CIC time of 8.5 hours. I wonder if I’ll get that money DD on Tuesday..I better not spend all that money in one place...

Did anyone check their employee express this morning and look at their PP1 stub? .haha. It says Govt shutdown hours used ytd 80. The only thing I got paid for was CIC time of 8.5 hours. I wonder if I’ll get that money DD on Tuesday..I better not spend all that money in one place...

I’m assuming this paystub is the rest of my scheduled OT from PP27. Still missing all my unscheduled stuff though. I can’t make sense of it, it’s entered weird

I got the ot from pp 26 and cic and ojti but it's still wrong. Shows I earned my annual and sick leave but doesnt reflect in the balances.

I got the ot from pp 26 and cic and ojti but it's still wrong. Shows I earned my annual and sick leave but doesnt reflect in the balances.

Mine is the same. It says I earned the leave, but the balances did not increase. I'm guessing since we're technically in non-pay status, they can't actually add it to the balances. My paystub says I'll get paid a whole $0.01! I would be amused if that penny actually showed up in my account on Tuesday. But, of course, they'd be sure to claw it back once this whole mess gets resolved.

Mine says I earned SL and AL as well but doesn’t reflect the balance correctly. It does reflect Credit time earned tho on the balance-odd.

Shoutout to my Mon/Tue folks. We got paid one holiday in lieu of since we were funded through Sunday the 23rd. Wonder what i'm gonna spend my $260 on!
I would suggest everyone keep track of your own hours, OT, OJTI, night dif, etc. from the beginning of the shutdown. Who knows what kind of errors there will be once the lights come back on.

Mine is the same. It says I earned the leave, but the balances did not increase. I'm guessing since we're technically in non-pay status, they can't actually add it to the balances. My paystub says I'll get paid a whole $0.01! I would be amused if that penny actually showed up in my account on Tuesday. But, of course, they'd be sure to claw it back once this whole mess gets resolved.
I am getting $1.11!

Shoutout to my Mon/Tue folks. We got paid one holiday in lieu of since we were funded through Sunday the 23rd. Wonder what i'm gonna spend my $260 on!
I would suggest everyone keep track of your own hours, OT, OJTI, night dif, etc. from the beginning of the shutdown. Who knows what kind of errors there will be once the lights come back on.
Mon Tues here. I did not get paid for Sunday, my pay was $6.66

Back
Top Bottom