hardship COS and travel days

Wholelotta

I recently got a hardship approved and my ATM and HR contact both dont seem to know if I get any travel days (3000 mile move) or COS due to the ERR being a hardship. Art 29 section 4 seems to say yes but the wording from the hardship art 99 section 3(H) "Permanent change of station (moving) expenses will not be paid by the Government." are making my ATM say otherwise. HR says its all up to my ATM. Could anyone give clarification on the matter?

Solution
I recently got a hardship approved and my ATM and HR contact both dont seem to know if I get any travel days (3000 mile move) or COS due to the ERR being a hardship. Art 29 section 4 seems to say yes but the wording from the hardship art 99 section 3(H) "Permanent change of station (moving) expenses will not be paid by the Government." are making my ATM say otherwise. HR says its all up to my ATM. Could anyone give clarification on the matter?
With all due respect, this appears to be a prime example of HR having no idea what they're talking about. Some HR folks know our CBA exists and apply it correctly, and others... don't. I guess the same goes for ATMs.

This time is not at the ATM's discretion to allow. Per the article...
With all due respect, this appears to be a prime example of HR having no idea what they're talking about. Some HR folks know our CBA exists and apply it correctly, and others... don't. I guess the same goes for ATMs.

This time is not at the ATM's discretion to allow. Per the article you reference (Art 29 sec 4), "up to 64 hours of excused absence... shall be granted" and "employees may be required to provide justification for the use of this time." A hardship is absolutely a change in official post of duty, and your ATM citing Art 99 is not relevant here.

I suspect what gets ATM/HR confused is that some BUEs seem to demand this time and overlook the "justification" piece in the article. If a BUE goes "give me tomorrow off for COS" and refuses to provide any sort of reason, the ATM probably has the discretion to deny it. It's like requesting sick leave, but refusing to provide any information why (I'm usually happy to give a play-by-play of my nasty symptoms, if management dares to ask).

If the BUE goes about it reasonably and gives justification - and the ATM still denies it - there's a good case to fight it.

Solution

This time is not at the ATM's discretion to allow. Per the article you reference (Art 29 sec 4), "up to 64 hours of excused absence... shall be granted" and "employees may be required to provide justification for the use of this time." A hardship is absolutely a change in official post of duty, and your ATM citing Art 99 is not relevant here.

I suspect what gets ATM/HR confused is that some BUEs seem to demand this time and overlook the "justification" piece in the article. If a BUE goes "give me tomorrow off for COS" and refuses to provide any sort of reason, the ATM probably has the discretion to deny it. It's like requesting sick leave, but refusing to provide any information why (I'm usually happy to give a play-by-play of my nasty symptoms, if management dares to ask).

If the BUE goes about it reasonably and gives justification - and the ATM still denies it - there's a good case to fight it.
Oh, tricky waters there, the part about sick leave. Management is not allowed to ask why/how you're sick unless it's more than 3 days, only then they can ask for a doctors note. But less than 3 days, they better not ask me and expect me to give them any reason.

Oh, tricky waters there, the part about sick leave. Management is not allowed to ask why/how you're sick unless it's more than 3 days, only then they can ask for a doctors note. But less than 3 days, they better not ask me and expect me to give them any reason.
as a trainee at a level 4 tower i will always cooperate with management so i usually preemptively bring in my sick notes.

Got a source on that?

Yeah i think its more a union management facility thing. Ive always been under the impression that you have no business asking me nor will i tell you unlesss its a few days.
i think in advance they can too, like if it's scheduled for something. at least i've heard of that happening before.

Yes, badly worded on my end there. By "information", I was meaning to say the reason leave is requested: you're medically incapacitated; care for a family member; medical appointment; etc. Though I still remember for a certain nosy manager from the White Book days, it was fun to voluntarily offer up TMI-like details on the nature of my condition.

Never had a problem saying “I need to take suck leave today”

twice I’ve seen supes give people issues about SL, both were grieved, both were won by the union lol. Contract is very clear, and they can’t ask for documentation until after you exceed four days of SL.

twice I’ve seen supes give people issues about SL, both were grieved, both were won by the union lol. Contract is very clear, and they can’t ask for documentation until after you exceed four days of SL.
Good luck denying sick leave. The contract says you can self certify your illness

The typo here is just...*chef’s kiss*

The typo here is just...*chef’s kiss*
Who needs covid leave when you can just run a dog shit final then turn and look at the OS and say “I need to take suck leave today.”
Edit: But I have known a few trainees to bang middle of the shift after a bad session so I guess it already happens. I would love that to be an actual leave type in the cru-art though. Ha.

Edit: But I have known a few trainees to bang middle of the shift after a bad session so I guess it already happens. I would love that to be an actual leave type in the cru-art though. Ha.
there is no sense in them getting back into the saddle that day if they're too shaken or need to decompress from a bad session. They happen. Dont be a dick.

Back
Top Bottom