If I ran the FAA How I could fix the Training/Staffing Problem

Damn I was really hoping for better effort than this. Tripped coming out of the blocks lol

6 month details to be away from family? Are we in the military?
Thats not what i mean, When I was a CPC If a temp duty can up such as this I would love to get away and do something different for a little while. O f coarse all volunteer's no one would want an instructor that is forced to do something. just food for thought to get conversation rolling, Thanks for replying

Honestly, the number one thing that can be done to address the latent issues with staffing and training would be to get rid of the way they assign facilities and when they do it. Let people go to more specifically and narrowly defined geographic locations that they actually want to be in and make that known before the last days of OKC… Better retention, better motivation to perform with a higher quality of life (based on a desire to be in the environment you prefer to be in).

Of course there are a shit load more things that can be done to address more obvious problems, but I still think the FAA screwed itself by assigning facilities via the “go fuck yourself, our needs come first” methodology.
Been there, done that. Doesn't work. People will apply where ever they think they can get in, just like before.

Hence my over the top 5 year contract and $10K if you leave, New hires that agree to go to a facility before they are hired must be held to that agreement. Or you pay some sort of penalty, lets say you add up all the time a CPC has invested in training you and you must reimburse the CPC for the wasted time you put them through.
just food for conversation thats all,
Thanks to everyone for great insights.

Hence my over the top 5 year contract and $10K if you leave, New hires that agree to go to a facility before they are hired must be held to that agreement. Or you pay some sort of penalty, lets say you add up all the time a CPC has invested in training you and you must reimburse the CPC for the wasted time you put them through.
just food for conversation thats all,
Thanks to everyone for great insights.
Or if you break the 5 year contract and decide to transfer, your seniority resets.

Been there, done that. Doesn't work. People will apply where ever they think they can get in, just like before.

Yes, but people will also apply where they want to be.. more would apply to their dream geographic area vs the "foot in the door anywhere" applicant in my opinion... You don't need 100% of applicants on the same page to make an improvement. It's about creating policy that provides the highest likelihood of retention and success for controllers.

You want to fix people staying in one location get rid of the paypands and every where pays the same just different cost of living difference. I know this is something people at high levels would hate, but that is why most people move is the money from talking to people.

You want to fix people staying in one location get rid of the paypands and every where pays the same just different cost of living difference. I know this is something people at high levels would hate, but that is why most people move is the money from talking to people.

If your idea is to have someone working at ZOA make the same amount of money as the guy up the road at HWD or down the bay a bit at RHV.....why would anyone deal with working at ZOA?

People like busy traffic, but come on. Who's gonna work level 12 traffic in ZNY during weather season for the same pay as a controller at HPN?
Well if you actually fixed staffing you wouldn’t be hiring everywhere all the time. Then you can have actual movement based on seniority.

Well if you actually fixed staffing you wouldn’t be hiring everywhere all the time. Then you can have actual movement based on seniority.
Why should movement be based on seniority? If you're a cappy controller and a crappy person no one should be forced to accept you because of seniority.

So what? I was hired in that era. Not anywhere near the amount of people back then looking to ERR. People who were picky only selected the two states they wanted to live in, and they got hired there or they didn't. People who applied wherever they thought they could get in? Fine, they made their own bed to get in. But back then it was exceptionally rare to hear about people who did that and then bitched about not being able to move.

So what? I was hired in that era. Not anywhere near the amount of people back then looking to ERR. People who were picky only selected the two states they wanted to live in, and they got hired there or they didn't. People who applied wherever they thought they could get in? Fine, they made their own bed to get in. But back then it was exceptionally rare to hear about people who did that and then bitched about not being able to move.
It’s the people hired then who are now like. You agreed to work anywhere. Get over it.

Back
Top Bottom