IFR departure from uncontrolled airport

FoggyWindow

FAA
Facility
Command Center
If you clear an acft to dept from an uncontrolled airport, how much airspace are you protecting around the field? If I have an adjacent airport nearby, say 9 miles away, is it legal to dept somebody off of it as long as the routes don't conflict? The rule at work is you gotta block 10 miles around the airport, but I can't find it written anywhere in the .65.

Aren’t you just protecting the protected airspace around the airport? IIRC that’s supposed to be 4 NM around the airport, so theoretically if someone’s route took them East they could fly 4 miles West and then turn East. So as long as the protected airspace doesn’t overlap and their routes aren’t in the same direction you could launch both aircraft before radar identification.

Ten miles is excessive. I block 3-5 miles. If you released the IFR you should, in theory, know what that aircraft is going to do and should block that area... Add a little extra for a stupid pilot. I'm certainly not stopping releases off an airport 9 miles away.

Ten miles is excessive. I block 3-5 miles. If you released the IFR you should, in theory, know what that aircraft is going to do and should block that area... Add a little extra for a stupid pilot. I'm certainly not stopping releases off an airport 9 miles away.
They could technically bust you on a non radar deal until they transition into radar

I make a 3-5 mile ring around said airport depending how much traffic is in the area and release them up to 3000', then make sure everyone else is 4000' or higher. I've really never had to use the lateral part since I work the altitude like that.

If you clear an acft to dept from an uncontrolled airport, how much airspace are you protecting around the field? If I have an adjacent airport nearby, say 9 miles away, is it legal to dept somebody off of it as long as the routes don't conflict? The rule at work is you gotta block 10 miles around the airport, but I can't find it written anywhere in the .65.
We had this question too, as there are uncontrolled satellites close to the primary airport and along the edge of final/dep path. We were told 4 miles, but as far as I know that was pulled out of thin air. Never got a clear answer or references and "just be safe" isn't a real answer. Maybe BeaconSlash can make an appearance and help out.

IIRC that’s supposed to be 4 NM around the airport
That's what we were told but no idea where that comes from?

4NM around the airport and a 10 minute push of their on-course or the heading you gave them to enter controlled airspace. If those protected airspace’s don’t overlap, I’d release them both.

I think the 10 mile rule came from each acft having a 4 mile protected route and rounding up to 10. I can't find anything that says you gotta block 10 miles around a field.

Not to steal the thread but what about an uncontrolled airport that has a final 1 mile away from a controlled airport and the aircraft lands and doesn’t cancel. Do you wait 30 minutes to run an aircraft to the controlled airport? Cause of the “what if he goes around” thing. I mean.... after 3 minutes the chances of a go around are unlikely

Not to steal the thread but what about an uncontrolled airport that has a final 1 mile away from a controlled airport and the aircraft lands and doesn’t cancel. Do you wait 30 minutes to run an aircraft to the controlled airport? Cause of the “what if he goes around” thing. I mean.... after 3 minutes the chances of a go around are unlikely
Do you have radar to the ground? If so, I would say once hes no longer observed there is nothing to separate from.

We had a similar situation at my facility. A trainee got a box one for releasing a C172 on a 180 heading with a CRJ at 2000. The RJ was on a 220 heading with the final approach being 335. The finally is roughly 4.3 miles from the satellite. The RJ ended up getting a turn toward the runway for the visual.

The OJTI said the trainee wasn't ensuring separation even though the radar sees to the ground there.

Is the uncontrolled airport within the class D of the controlled airport? And do you mean a missed approach or a go around?

Couldn't you just use non radar until you have radar on them?
6−2−1. MINIMA ON DIVERGING COURSES
Separate aircraft that will fly courses diverging by 45 degrees or more after departing the same or adjacent airports by use of one of the following minima:
3. Within 13 miles DME/ATD after takeoff − 3 miles until courses diverge

It's an adjacent airport, and assuming their courses are diverging within 13 miles of departing (which I find it hard to believe you would release two guys at the same time when they aren't going to diverge) the separation would only be 3 miles no?

Do you have radar to the ground? If so, I would say once hes no longer observed there is nothing to separate from.
I don't think this works for the arrival situation since radar service is automatically terminated when you change him to advisory freq

Back
Top Bottom