KLAS Tower Issues

That wasn't a busy session at all for the Wed mid there. It seemed that way for obvious reasons. There IS equipment in the tower that lets us know exactly what's coming numbers wise. The other controller wouldn't have combined things up and gone on break had things not died down traffic wise. He definitely wouldn't have if he even suspected something was the slightest off with her.

I just said the tower doesn’t have the big monitors that the tracon does. I never said the tower didn’t have anything to see what traffic was coming.

I just said the tower doesn’t have the big monitors that the tracon does. I never said the tower didn’t have anything to see what traffic was coming.

You're right - clearly the size of the monitor is entirely to blame for this incident. Just wait, later today the FAA will announce that starting immediately, controllers aren't allowed to work alone without a 55" flatscreen TV on the mid. Makes about as much sense as what they actually did.

You're right - clearly the size of the monitor is entirely to blame for this incident. Just wait, later today the FAA will announce that starting immediately, controllers aren't allowed to work alone without a 55" flatscreen TV on the mid. Makes about as much sense as what they actually did.
Huh? Where’d I say this was to blame?

So I wanted to throw this out there in regard to the new, pointless, mid rules which were triggered by this idiotic event.

Make sure you combine the positions down to 1 after midnight/90 minutes after shift start, and ensure positions are decombined by 0600. My self and another controller were told the region was going to try to suspend us 15 and 60 days respectfully for "not following the new rules".

Thing is, we did follow the rules. Our genius staff office thought they caught us breaking them, when they did the daily audit. They sent it straight up, and the region came straight back down talking about suspensions. Took our fac rep and ATM making phone calls to get it sorted out.

Good news, we know what kind of punishment could be in line for violating these pointless rules. Bad news, we still have the pointless rules, and they are all to happy to suspend people who break them. Even for only 15 minutes.

So I wanted to throw this out there in regard to the new, pointless, mid rules which were triggered by this idiotic event.

Make sure you combine the positions down to 1 after midnight/90 minutes after shift start, and ensure positions are decombined by 0600. My self and another controller were told the region was going to try to suspend us 15 and 60 days respectfully for "not following the new rules".

Thing is, we did follow the rules. Our genius staff office thought they caught us breaking them, when they did the daily audit. They sent it straight up, and the region came straight back down talking about suspensions. Took our fac rep and ATM making phone calls to get it sorted out.

Good news, we know what kind of punishment could be in line for violating these pointless rules. Bad news, we still have the pointless rules, and they are all to happy to suspend people who break them. Even for only 15 minutes.
What breaks/times did they think you were all combined up?

What breaks/times did they think you were all combined up?

Same situation for both of us. 2 people came in at 0545. One went to the TRACON downstairs, and the other went to the tower. The mid shifter gave the radar to downstairs, and the tower to the tower individual. In my case, a second tower controller got there at 0615, and we then split up the tower. In the other controllers case, no one else got to the tower until 0700. Having 2 people between 0600 and 0700 isn't unusual. So our staff office told the region we didn't decombine, for 15 minutes in one case and an hour in the other, when the mid was relieved. But, we had. They just ignored the fact a second controller had decombined the radar already.

With pay? ????

If that was the case, I would be posting a PSA, from a chair lift in CO, to break the new rules.

Back
Top Bottom