Leave Request Window

KnockKnock

My new facility allows everyone to bid leave 365 days in advance. So today we can request AL for 7/5/2020. That's not allowed, right? My previous facility was only within the leave year, and that makes sense to me. So I can request leave today for 7/4/2020, but when we bid prime time and someone bids it they get it before me (which they should). Any other facilities that can request leave a year in advance?

Yes. We actually had to put it in an MOU to restrict it to a year because there was one or two people who would put in leave requests for every holiday webscheduler would let them years in advance.

Yes. We actually had to put it in an MOU to restrict it to a year because there was one or two people who would put in leave requests for every holiday webscheduler would let them years in advance.
So how does your MOU balance people requesting leave a year out with only bidding in the fall?

Anything not bid is considered subsequent to bid leave. He did it so he was first in line for the spot request if he decided to actually take it.

Does management keep track of his leave balance to verify he stays within it then?
Management of leave balances falls squarely on the employee. we’ve done this to allow people to bid 365 days in advance. the mou can state any leave bid is considered spot leave. Also, wmt allows you to set a time frame of how far out is allowed to be bid. If a cut off date is decided collaboratively, it should be set that way and you won’t be able to bid leave beyond that point. Either your scheduled or a manager can easily do this.

At my previous 3 facilities we were able to request leave a year out which was approved/dissaproved, staffing permitting, when the schedule was posted.

MJ SCofATC Electricfence
How do you balance that with Article 24 Section 13?

"Section 13. At the conclusion of the bidding process, employees may
submit NPTL requests in excess of the designated leave opportunities."

Sounds like you can't request January 30 2020 until we're done with bidding for next year's leave.

MJ SCofATC Electricfence

Sounds like you can't request January 30 2020 until we're done with bidding for next year's leave.

You can request it, but the prime time leave takes priority if someone decides they want that timeframe during bidding. Spot leave isnt guarenteed.

MJ SCofATC Electricfence

Yeah, I agree with you. If it works for everyone at their facility great, but I think it's pretty clearly written that you're contractually not allowed to request that leave until the conclusion of the bidding.

it Was always understood those requests were the first spot leave requests after the bidding process. It worked where I was and that’s just the way it was. So if that day was requested before bidding, they still might not have got the day and someone who bid it would. I can only recall one instance where someone was mad about losing out, but culturally if someone wanted the day they made sure exactly one year in advance to request that day. I do agree it just makes it a lot easier and more black and white and probably more contractually correct to open up spot leave only after bidding and only for that leave year. Management giving you trouble or the workforce KnockKnock ?

it Was always understood those requests were the first spot leave requests after the bidding process. It worked where I was and that’s just the way it was. So if that day was requested before bidding, they still might not have got the day and someone who bid it would. I can only recall one instance where someone was mad about losing out, but culturally if someone wanted the day they made sure exactly one year in advance to request that day. I do agree it just makes it a lot easier and more black and white and probably more contractually correct to open up spot leave only after bidding and only for that leave year. Management giving you trouble or the workforce KnockKnock ?
Workforce. It's all fucky... We bid in excess of pre approved leave and request 365 days in advance. So only one spot per day is pre approved, but if I want to be the third bidder for July 4 with my prime time, that's my choice! But on July 4 2019 someone could've requested 7/4/2020 off. Technically, one person is approved, two people submitted invalid bids, and someone submitted a valid request prior the two invalid BIDS, so who the F gets approved second? It's gotta be as dumb as it gets.

Workforce. It's all fucky... We bid in excess of pre approved leave and request 365 days in advance. So only one spot per day is pre approved, but if I want to be the third bidder for July 4 with my prime time, that's my choice! But on July 4 2019 someone could've requested 7/4/2020 off. Technically, one person is approved, two people submitted invalid bids, and someone submitted a valid request prior the two invalid BIDS, so who the F gets approved second? It's gotta be as dumb as it gets.
According to your culture the two people who bid a year in advance because you put yours in knowing full well that’s a spot leave request because the day is already taken. Managment would have no incentive to change that unless they decide to abide by the contract and the union rep agrees. Either way the facility is going to hate the both of them. Good luck with that.

You can request it, but the prime time leave takes priority if someone decides they want that timeframe during bidding. Spot leave isnt guarenteed.

Ditto. That is how it was done at my last 3 facilities. I dont believe this goes against the contract and is left open for facilties to negotiate to have employees submit leave requests a year in advance or not.

Edit: Besides Prime Time, Non Prime Time during bidding also took priority. Basically that bidding based off of seniority took priority over requests made a year in advance based on first come. Everyone knew this and never was a problem.

Last edited:
It definitely goes against the contract. If you read what KnockKnock posted. Article 24 section 13. If it works for people that's fine, but to say it doesn't go against the contract is wrong. Personally I'm a big believer in always following the contract, as it's a weird thing if we don't follow it sometimes but then we expect management to. But I am also a big believer in letting facilities run in a way that keeps everyone happy, so ?‍♂️

My last facility we could submit 365 days in advance for spot leave, but we also honored Article 24 Section 13. We put a time period after conclusion of bidding that NPTL requests could be made. If a date was denied it was added to web scheduler and given first priority over spot leave request. Spot leave is requested during a posted watch schedule.
The best way I explained this process to other is like buying tickets for a sporting event. If you don't buy tickets in advance (bid leave) you can line up outside the stadium to be the first to buy any available tickets still left, (spot leave). The bigger the game, the less tickets available. But you can't make a request and ensure yourself a seat until the ticket office opens, (start of a posted watch schedule).

Back
Top Bottom