N90

Don’t know. The first OTS hires just hit the floor within the last couple of weeks, at least in my sector. The only people training on scopes right now are almost done but they came from other level 12’s. There’s a class of transfers in the lab right now, think they take their 90% eval for final this week or next. No OTS person is even checked out in FD yet
Hows the revamped training program working out? They had a big team come in and overhaul it.

Last edited:
Hows the revamped training working out? They had a big team come in and re do some stuff.

The first class going through the new training is in the lab. I don’t know if it will help anyone get certified compared to before but it will definitely add a lot of time to everyone’s training.

Expect to do your maps, then FD/CD for a long time. There’s not a training freeze, but there is a backlog.

Has the map been made easier? I've seen the old map that's been posted here before, but when I was at N90 a few weeks ago I saw some trainees studying a much simpler version of it, with just a few pre-drawn airways that they had to identify. Is this all you do before you start studying sector-specific maps?

Has the map been made easier? I've seen the old map that's been posted here before, but when I was at N90 a few weeks ago I saw some trainees studying a much simpler version of it, with just a few pre-drawn airways that they had to identify. Is this all you do before you start studying sector-specific maps?

Yes the facility map has been knocked down to a much simpler form. Think they got rid of something around 300 items from it. You’ll get the Sector specific maps when you go to class afaik. I don’t know if they give them to you to study while you’re waiting for class but probably wouldn’t be hard to get.

Yes the facility map has been knocked down to a much simpler form. Think they got rid of something around 300 items from it. You’ll get the Sector specific maps when you go to class afaik. I don’t know if they give them to you to study while you’re waiting for class but probably wouldn’t be hard to get.

I would really hope so - if there is a silver lining to being stuck on data for 8+ months, it's that you'll have ample time to learn every intersection, radial, and line on your video map like the back of your hand.

The Newark area to PHL move, while not a Section 804 is designated "mission critical" from the FAA.
Current details (December 2020):
Finalized PHL TRACON layout
Finalized Radar requirements
Beginning Communications/FTI requirements
Draft of Requirements Document ready for review

Cutover planned for September 2021.

The Newark area to PHL move, while not a Section 804 is designated "mission critical" from the FAA.

Wow. It’s really, actually happening. Color me shocked.

The real question.... any chance they're gonna need bodies badly enough to do a priority bid to PHL?

I put in for the N90 bid but I'm at a pretty low staffed facility right now. Does anyone know if its possible to get out that way?

How often do they pull people from the CPC bid? Or do they wait until the bid is closed before taking people from the current bid?

How often do they pull people from the CPC bid? Or do they wait until the bid is closed before taking people from the current bid?
I just spoke with HR since I put in my application a few weeks ago and am just waiting at this point. They said they review applications periodically only once N90 requests a referral list, and they have no idea or ETA for when that will happen. Who knows. I tried to call N90 but no one picked up.

We’ve got trainees who have been here for 2+ years and haven’t even gone to class/lab yet.

Are they mostly off the street people? Would transferring CPC's cut the line in front of them for a class date?
If the EWR area to PHL rumors I’m hearing about are true, you may end up behind some CPCs who stay at N90 and disburse among the other sectors too. Backlog there could surprisingly get worse if that happens.

Back
Top Bottom