Ncept is solid program

There were multiple mid level facilities about 10 years ago with 4-5 year training times because training was seen as a privilege, not something that was part of the job. Obviously that’s not good. The faa considers 2.5 years a max training time at an up/down, more than that and it’s considered a facility issue. Some places needed to be told that they had to train and had to have the gun put to their heads, so to speak. Now it’s gone too far the other way, you are training merely for the sake of training, not because it’s about learning to be a better controller and improving your skills.
It also needs to be put out there that the NTI came about at the time where staffing hit another all time low and Congress was starting to notice. This program is the FAA leadership making it look like they are doing something instead of watching it happen. Kinda like how the FAA told Congress they fixed ZJX by sending a bunch of trainees there. Anyone who knows anything knows that the problem isn’t solved at all, certainly not for a while, and probably that placement won’t be enough even after they certify. After all, It takes years to really get good on position, newly certified is the bare minimum of skill to work and not have someone ready to override you. But it makes it look like they are being proactive to the uninformed outside observer. While it’s true some facilities had (and some still do have) deeply rooted issues with training, overall that’s not the reason for the staffing shortage. The NTI is overall the agencies simplistic thinking that the reason there aren’t enough controllers is because there isn’t enough OJTI being conducted. Their idea is that If you train more, you will certify people faster and then we won’t have a staffing issue anymore. It’s simple jack logic and the situation is far more complex, but it’s easy enough for senior leadership and outsiders to digest while making it look like the agency is doing something about the staffing cliff they created. Something is better than nothing I suppose but just barely.

Last edited:
so 5 hours of training in an 8 hour day leaves 36 minutes between each session for debrief and recovery

have you thought about going into management
We typically train for an hour or so, then I have the cic slide me over with ojti to debrief for 20-30 mins then start a 30-45 break depending on how things are going. There are lots of 2 hour sessions when traffic is good. If you aren't doing it by the book and debriefing after each session you're losing money and break time.

For facilities that stay busy enough to continue to get useful training, the NTI has been incredible. It really has cut down on training time significantly and stopped management from keeping the trainees as staffing and actually get them training. It also cut down on how much the turds could drag out their training, shit or get off the pot. My last facility, mid level up down used to have an average 2.5 yr tt. Now I'd say they are closer to 1-1.5. Current facility is a level 12, some people are now getting done in less than a year including TSEW. I can understand how it can be hurtful for facilities that have very select periods of busy traffic and people burn through the hours. I also think they should bring back a currency day, I feel like I forgot how to work my other positions when I was training on my last few. But for the larger facilities that need people it has been beneficial for getting people done and certified (even it's just so management can file deviations and pull even more of our people off the boards).

It leaves an hour but ok. Even 1.5 on 1.5 off will get you 4.5 hours of training. Not very demanding
? How people might ask?
Show up at 6:15
Clock in at 6
Wx/pre duty etc
630 start training(1.5)
8 stop training
30 min debrief
45 min break
915_1045 training(1.5)
Debrief til 11
Break until 1145
Train until 1315(1.5)
Debrief til 1320
Drive home

That's exactly how

? How people might ask?
Show up at 6:15
Clock in at 6
Wx/pre duty etc
630 start training(1.5)
8 stop training
30 min debrief
45 min break
915_1045 training(1.5)
Debrief til 11
Break until 1145
Train until 1315(1.5)
Debrief til 1320
Drive home

That's exactly how
No one debriefs that long. But even if they did everything you wrote sounds totally reasonable.

What actually happens is: 7-3 shift Train 7-830 10-1130 1300-1430. And that’s a minimum. Many training teams do 2 hour goes and/or shorter breaks. Train 5-6.

No one debriefs that long. But even if they did everything you wrote sounds totally reasonable.

What actually happens is: 7-3 shift Train 7-830 10-1130 1300-1430. And that’s a minimum. Many training teams do 2 hour goes and/or shorter breaks. Train 5-6.
There aren't enough w allowed in this textbox for ewwwweeewwwwwweeeeewwwwwwww

I tend to run 2 hrs so my training schedule usually looks like this:

6:30-8:30
Break till 910 or 915
9:15-11:15
Lunch until 12
12:00 to 13:45
Debrief and leave by 14:30

I don't know about most of your facilities but I know we aren't training first thing in the morning at 6 am. Maybe 715 once all the positions are open. Maybe 8am once you get trainees lined up with their trainers since they need at least 50% of the time with their trainers.

So lets be more realistic:

0630/0700 Trainees day starts depending on flex
0730 - 0900 Train
0900 - 0945 Break/Debrief
0945 - 1115 Train
1115 - 1200 Break/Debrief
1200 - 1300 Train
1300 - 1500 Early Gos / Setting up for end of shift

4 hours of training. That's with literally nothing else happening during the day. No other trainees needing on the position. Full staffing.

Last edited:
I don't know about most of your facilities but I know we aren't training first thing in the morning at 6 am. Maybe 715 once all the positions are open. Maybe 8am once you get trainees lined up with their trainers since they need at least 50% of the time with their trainers.

So lets be more realistic:

0630/0700 Trainees day starts depending on flex
0730 - 0900 Train
0900 - 0945 Break/Debrief
0945 - 1115 Train
1115 - 1200 Break/Debrief
1200 - 1300 Train
1300 - 1500 Early Gos / Setting up for end of shift

4 hours of training. That's with literally nothing else happening during the day. No other trainees needing on the position. Full staffing.
Why aren’t your trainees lined up exactly with their trainers? And do not trained combined?

Back
Top Bottom