NEST NEST

alphakizzle

FAA
Facility
A80 Atlanta Tracon
1.5 years training at my first FAA facility, lvl 12 Tracon. Finally pulled the plug, because 6 day work weeks for 20 years doesn't sound fun. Have certs on half the building. D2 pay. Withdrew and have nest March 6th.

Does anyone have any idea on facility levels I would drop down to, or more importantly, if they would terminate me at my first lvl 12 withdrawal?
Also, is there any policy or guidance on getting stuck with a facility that literally doesn't cover half basic living expenses? (Lvl 5/6). Thanks yall?!

if they would terminate me at my first lvl 12 withdrawal?
Also, is there any policy or guidance on getting stuck with a facility
possible but highly unlikely.

No personal attacks
1.5 years training at my first FAA facility, lvl 12 Tracon. Finally pulled the plug, because 6 day work weeks for 20 years doesn't sound fun. Have certs on half the building. D2 pay. Withdrew and have nest March 6th.

Does anyone have any idea on facility levels I would drop down to, or more importantly, if they would terminate me at my first lvl 12 withdrawal?
Also, is there any policy or guidance on getting stuck with a facility that literally doesn't cover half basic living expenses? (Lvl 5/6). Thanks yall?!

But anyway, taking a risk of being placed at a poorly staffed level five in a ultra high cost of living area and/or one with old lifers with god complexes as there were proportionally more of those in the five I worked at then the twelve is a roll of the dice risk signed up for.

But don’t worry, most of the level fives are in tiny cities or isolated geographic areas which tend to have lower costs of living.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't comment on what facilities you may or may not get but I'm a CPC at a 6 and the sole income provider for a family of four and we live very comfortably where we are. I don't think the FAA would terminate you since you do have some certs at your facility.

Your current ATM can have some influence over what you get offered. And the board can make a recommendation to your ATM.

There is a chance you could be terminated, but that’s highly unlikely given you weren’t a temporary employee and you certified on half of a line. The choice of facilities for NEST employees will be based on availability across the NAS. I’d imagine you’re offered up to a level 8, but mostly 5-7s. Higher than an 8 seems highly unlikely as you’ve never been a CPC in the FAA. The other thing to keep in mind is that while you’ll receive PCS days to move, you will be moving at your own expense and you can no longer write those moving expenses off on your taxes. Just things to think about if you deciding between say: Chattanooga, Omaha, and Eugene.

Hello all, I just withdrew from training may29, 2019. This is my first FAA facility. My manager liked me and said I will be retained. What should I expect from here on? How much longer until I’m offered a new facility?

Hello all, I just withdrew from training may29, 2019. This is my first FAA facility. My manager liked me and said I will be retained. What should I expect from here on? How much longer until I’m offered a new facility?

I believe if you search ksn2.faa.gov for NEST you will find a lot of info from past panels and when the next will be held.

Your list will more than likely depend on if you certified on any R-side positions. Im not sure how the progression goes in the TRACON so you may have some at D2, but if you dont have any certs you will most likely get all level 5/6 VFR towers offered.

Not to hijack this thread, but if I’ve been certified at 2 previous facilities and withdraw from training at my third, will my 2 previous facilities be on my list? I have certified at a level 11 and 10 enroute and am not liking my current facility and am currently training on my last position.

Not to hijack this thread, but if I’ve been certified at 2 previous facilities and withdraw from training at my third, will my 2 previous facilities be on my list? I have certified at a level 11 and 10 enroute and am not liking my current facility and am currently training on my last position.
Every facility level 11 and lower which is not at 100% projected staffing should be on your list.

Even if my current facility that I’m withdrawing from is a 10? Its not from lack of ability, I just liked my last 2 facilities more and want to go back.
Yeah they are supposed to consider the highest level facility you were ever certified in but maybe make sure the Fac Rep or whoever handles your case emphasizes that when your NEST package is submitted.

We had a bunch of trainees withdraw from my level 12 Tracon. If they were D1 they were offered level 6 and below. If they were D2 they were offered level 9 and below. These were all new hires from prior experience bid.

Your list will more than likely depend on if you certified on any R-side positions. Im not sure how the progression goes in the TRACON so you may have some at D2, but if you dont have any certs you will most likely get all level 5/6 VFR towers offered.

There is no r side/d side at tracons. That’s a center thing.

Back
Top Bottom