New W-4 form and Employee Express

I make L11 pay and my wife makes more than me...we both had 0 exemptions on our W4s last year and we filed jointly and got fucking plunged in the ass repeatedly by the long, girthy, fat greasy horsecock of the IRS last year. We ended up owing over $11k in taxes for the year because all the withholding tables got fucked up and surprise! we should have known about it because sucking down a mimosa and catching up on that thicc tax code in between studying maps is the new cool.

We ended up adding an additional withholding of $250 per check to avoid getting taxually assaulted next year. Maybe they should create exemptions in the negatives? What the fuck is the point of exemptions if you put down a 0 and still owe money??
Check signal lol

So I haven’t filled out a new W4 this year and I’m trying to zero out my taxes. I used to do exemptions as stated above, but obviously they got rid of that. I don’t have any dependents, so do I just need to put in the amount I want deducted in step 4b? Or is it more complicated than that?
Step 4b in Employee Express? I don't think I did that. They seem to use "deductions" in two different ways between 4b and 4c. I imagine that if you want to withhold less per paycheck you could enter a negative number in 4c but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it breaks things. I just added one dependent credit (even though I don't have dependents) and that made the numbers come out close enough to what I wanted.

I make L11 pay and my wife makes more than me...we both had 0 exemptions on our W4s last year and we filed jointly and got fucking plunged in the ass repeatedly by the long, girthy, fat greasy horsecock of the IRS last year.
You probably know this, but did you check to make sure you both checked "married, but withhold at higher single rate" or however the new form lays it out? Otherwise both your jobs will withhold based on the assumption that the other spouse makes nothing.

Seriously. My wife and I had a similar situation(except the L11 money for me☹) and we ended up getting rammed too. 10k owed with a fine on top of it. I still don’t understand how the fucking thing works but we added 300 more withholding to hers and like 200 to mine to make up for it. I’ll probably still end up owing too.
Yeah it would be unfathomable to think there would be a system whereby you could give the IRS an exact dollar amount that you and your spouse plan on making this year and then your employer withholding the appropriate amount...but nah we made this super handy-dandy calculator to exemplify how fucked our entire tax code is? Isnt getting married supposed to make taxes simpler? Yeah but only if you're poor. What the fuck man...additional withholding? What the fuck does that even mean? I have to do math on behalf of the IRS and my employer to tell them how much money to steal from me?

We got slammed with that bill literally 2 weeks after dropping $60k down payment on a house, too.

You probably know this, but did you check to make sure you both checked "married, but withhold at higher single rate" or however the new form lays it out? Otherwise both your jobs will withhold based on the assumption that the other spouse makes nothing.
Yeah I already had that pegged but apparently it doesn't take enough out if you're upper middle class and don't have kids or a mortgage. Fuck me for being alive, right?

Anyone else excited to see how the COVID stimuluses are going to hit our pockets over the next 10 years? Last I saw was that the tax liability to every American was $15k for their $1200 check (which I didnt receive cuz fuck me for being upper middle class again!)

Last edited:
Wife and I got nailed with a $4600 bill after getting like $800 back last year. So awful, just moved across the country for the 2nd time in less than 2 years so money wasn't exactly bountiful. Would've been much more dicey without the 3 month delay

Last edited:
I make L11 pay and my wife makes more than me...we both had 0 exemptions on our W4s last year and we filed jointly and got fucking plunged in the ass repeatedly by the long, girthy, fat greasy horsecock of the IRS last year. We ended up owing over $11k in taxes for the year because all the withholding tables got fucked up and surprise! we should have known about it because sucking down a mimosa and catching up on that thicc tax code in between studying maps is the new cool.

We ended up adding an additional withholding of $250 per check to avoid getting taxually assaulted next year. Maybe they should create exemptions in the negatives? What the fuck is the point of exemptions if you put down a 0 and still owe money??
You’re living my dream of having a wife who makes more money than me. Keep on keepin on, brother. Sorry about Uncle Sam.

So last year was the first year that I've ever ended up owing the IRS in my life. I've always gotten a refund, no matter how small. Last year when tax time rolled around I ended up owing like $2000 with my wife. In an attempt to get that number as close to 0 as possible, I changed my "Allowances" in Employee Express to 0.

I just started inputting my information into TurboTax the other day and it's telling me that I owe the IRS over $11k this year. I went into my W2 and did the math, divided my Federal Income Tax withheld by total wages and paid something like 14% this year, compared to 18% last year.

I have no idea how the fuck I underpaid by that much, especially when my allowances are set at 0. Why should I have to be keeping an eye on my paycheck and creating an additional withholding on Employee Express to ensure that the correct taxes are being taken out? Doesnt that seem like something Payroll should be doing?

Anyone else get hit with a bomb this year? Idk if it's tied to the new W4 procedures but I cant imagine any other reason.
It's trumps tax plan. It started off with everyone getting higher checks, and years later those tax breaks erode quickly for the less than 500,000 a year brackets

Phillyman2633 Yeah, maybe I'm in the wrong industry. What does Mrs. Phillyman do for a living if you don't mind me asking? (serious replies only)
Onlyfans bruh, Phillyman's lifestyle ain't gonna pay for itself.

Lol nah she's a director of sales for a tech company.

It's trumps tax plan. It started off with everyone getting higher checks, and years later those tax breaks erode quickly for the less than 500,000 a year brackets
I didnt even realize I had already written that earlier post lol. IRS has me all kinds of fired up.

Can anyone tell me why on Employee Express it shows I have 2 Exemptions (which shouldn't be a thing now?), especially when I'm single, live alone, and have one job? Random coworkers are noticing this too even though they would be Single-0 too. And there's not even a drop down to change it. I'm thinking about just redoing a W4 with the new blank fields and submitting it, but I'm worried I'm gonna be bent over by the IRS next year.

Just change it. I’ve adjusted mine multiple times this year. And change it up to dollar amounts. A lot easier to control it then.

Just change it. I’ve adjusted mine multiple times this year. And change it up to dollar amounts. A lot easier to control it then.
This. The IRS also has a tool that tells you how to fill it out based on how much you’ve made so far and how much you expect to make so you don’t owe.

Back
Top Bottom