Odds of going to a large tracon without radar exp

It’s terrible advice to tell someone to go to a low level TRACON or up down to get the “experience” needed to make it at the bigs.
the soft bigotry of low expectations.

That's really bad advice. Working in Moses Lake will leave you less prepared to work N90 than you are today, and that's IF you can ever get out.

you can't prepare to work N90 without a world class set of knee pads and no gag reflex.

Thinking about putting paperwork in next ncept for a few different places and considering some tracons. How common is it for someone from a low level tower only to get picked up at a busy tracon? And is checking out even a possibility?
Extremely likely, but a very bad outcome usually

Happens every panel. A guy from SEE got picked up for SCT. Maybe not a slow tower itself, but certainly a new ballgame.
A few 5's from the last few too, PSP, TOA, SMO, etc. A big jump and not as easy as going to most centers, but somewhat possible.

A few 5's from the last few too, PSP, TOA, SMO, etc. A big jump and not as easy as going to most centers, but somewhat possible.
I think it ends up coming down to the individuals themselves how successful of a move it is. I would be really interested to see success rates of tower-onlys to tracons though.

I think it ends up coming down to the individuals themselves how successful of a move it is. I would be really interested to see success rates of tower-onlys to tracons though.
It's about 1/3 tower only make it at SCT, with half of those people quitting and the other half not making it. I was tower only, it's possible.

Frankly, in my time I have found you either have it or you don’t. You have to be completely and unapologetically honest with yourself and your abilities. A good majority of controllers are type A people which is both a negative and a positive. It’s fine to think you’re the best controller your facility has ever seen… look good, feel good, play good as I’ve always believed. But only YOU know if you currently have what it takes to cut it at a busier facility, out of your comfort zone, in a field parallel to what your experience is in. If you can approach it with a “can’t lose/at all costs” mindset then you’ll be fine. A good lesson to learn sooner rather than later is that you are the only person who is going to look after you and have your best interest in mind. That pertains to making smart, educated career choices (ie deciding to put in for a higher level TRACON instead of gaining some radar experience prior) as well as blocking out the noise and studying in the break room and on your off time. I can level with the need to come here for advice/validation but at the same time, only you can decide if you have what it takes.

Thanks for the input everyone. Which tracons are more desirable and which ones would you guys stay away from? Thinking about putting in for I90 or D10
If you’re worried about learning curve maybe go to a consolidated tracon. Stand alone 12s are not going to be easy with no radar experience.

Thanks to ta94 for somehow bringing this entire place together on something ?

Kevin Durant Mvp GIF by NBA

That's really bad advice. Working in Moses Lake will leave you less prepared to work N90 than you are today, and that's IF you can ever get out.
I gotta ask, what is the deal with Moses Lake anyway, a 6 up/down with almost N90 levels of failure?

Plus I've heard it's a pretty toxic training environment.
Let me emphasize this point. Japanese airlines used to train there and haven’t for a while. It was a terrible environment when I toured a few years back. The trainees there rarely actually trained. They’d go upstairs and ask if anyone would train them. Then get sent back down to the break room. According to the ones I spoke to at the time. Hopefully it’s changing for the better because right down the road PSC was a dream first facility. Even easier now with the Tracon up in Spokane. Gotta be one of the easiest towers out there.

Back
Top Bottom