OJTI

How long before a controller can become an OJTI? What order is it in?
1 year unless you qualify for a waiver which has to do with staffing and dev amount. I believe the .4 has it all. National training order.

6-3 a. (2) said:
Certified a minimum of 12 months on positions involved.

Note 1: Transferring CPC-ITs/TMC-ITs/FPL-ITs with previous OJTI experience on the same type position are exempt from this. However, they must have worked the position involved for a minimum of 60 hours after certification prior to conducting OJT. The 60-hour requirement may be waived at the ATM’s or designee’s discretion for non-control positions.

Note 2: At ATC-8 or below facilities having a developmental/CPC-IT to CPC ratio of greater than 35 percent, the ATM or designee may select OJTIs for Flight Data (FD), Clearance Delivery (CD), and Ground Control (GC) once the individuals have been certified on the position for 6 months.

Would a waiver be for the whole facility, or on an individual basis? I'm at a 5, soon to be level 4, tower. We have a lot of new controllers that cannot train yet. So a handful of CPCs do all the training. It makes getting the new 15-18 hours of training tough. Plus we could lose a couple trainers to the next round of ncept. Thanks for the repies.

Would a waiver be for the whole facility, or on an individual basis? I'm at a 5, soon to be level 4, tower. We have a lot of new controllers that cannot train yet. So a handful of CPCs do all the training. It makes getting the new 15-18 hours of training tough. Plus we could lose a couple trainers to the next round of ncept. Thanks for the repies.
You must work at ERI.....

There is no waiver necessary, but it’s only at 8 and below facilities and it’s only for flight data, clearance, and ground after 6 months from certification. Local does not apply. And your numbers dev to cpc ratio must be greater than 35 percent. Otherwise there is nothing you can do. This only applies to new ojti, if you have previous ojti which I’m sure isn’t the case they can train immediately by atm approval or after working 60 hours after certification.

6-3a. Read the order

There is no waiver necessary, but it’s only at 8 and below facilities and it’s only for flight data, clearance, and ground after 6 months from certification. Local does not apply. And your numbers dev to cpc ratio must be greater than 35 percent. Otherwise there is nothing you can do. This only applies to new ojti, if you have previous ojti which I’m sure isn’t the case they can train immediately by atm approval or after working 60 hours after certification.

6-3a. Read the order
Not sure if they're still allowing it or if it's approved on a case by case basis, but another way controllers may train prior to the requirements in 6-3a is if they have prior experience. My last facility we were short trainers and they allowed prior experienced military controllers to train prior to the 12 months of being a CPC. We had to submit our previous experience (show that we were previous OJTIs) and complete the OJTI training prior to training.

Not sure if they're still allowing it or if it's approved on a case by case basis, but another way controllers may train prior to the requirements in 6-3a is if they have prior experience. My last facility we were short trainers and they allowed prior experienced military controllers to train prior to the 12 months of being a CPC. We had to submit our previous experience (show that we were previous OJTIs) and complete the OJTI training prior to training.

I don’t know about military, but don’t see why it shouldn’t, but the same section takes about previous experience as I stated above. 60 hours on that position, an over the shoulder and done. Or less if the atm deems it appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom