OKC Recommendations

Gorō Ramen and Empire Slice are good as well. On the same street as The Mule. Cuppies and Joe is a nice little coffee place with pastries

Cafe Uyen near Kim's place made some bomb pho and banh mi, and not just by OKC standards. Tamashii Ramen was decent too.

I hear ZOA alot on these forums. Is Oakland not a great spot to get? I live around the area currently so I'm wondering.

People shit on ZOA for the cost of living and the training time. Waiting time on D-school is about a year, so you'd be living on AG pay (~60k) for nearly 1.5 yrs. Also, nobody gets released unless they hardship out. Once you CPC, you can afford a solidly middle-class lifestyle in the Bay.

Cafe Uyen near Kim's place made some bomb pho and banh mi, and not just by OKC standards. Tamashii Ramen was decent too.

People shit on ZOA for the cost of living and the training time. Waiting time on D-school is about a year, so you'd be living on AG pay (~60k) for nearly 1.5 yrs. Also, nobody gets released unless they hardship out. Once you CPC, you can afford a solidly middle-class lifestyle in the Bay.
Well not to mention, ZOA’s training success rate is right at about 50% which is among the lowest of any facility. The idea of sitting around for well over a year to begin D Side training, living in one of the most expensive areas of the country, never being able to transfer out, and there being a statistical 50% chance you’ll wash out is not attractive to a lot of people.

Well not to mention, ZOA’s training success rate is right at about 50% which is among the lowest of any facility. The idea of sitting around for well over a year to begin D Side training, living in one of the most expensive areas of the country, never being able to transfer out, and there being a statistical 50% chance you’ll wash out is not attractive to a lot of people.

The washout rate is so high because everybody hardships out or resigns after realizing they can't afford to live there on AG pay, not due to any increased complexity in traffic. It's really the same issue.

I hear ZOA alot on these forums. Is Oakland not a great spot to get? I live around the area currently so I'm wondering.

If you have family there or a hookup with cheap rent and a reasonable commute to the center and want to stay in the area, there's really no reason not to take ZOA if you want to stay in the area. A lot of controllers don't identify with the politics or culture of California, so they don't see the appeal. Just accept that you probably are not getting out, and the techies will still be making more than you and buying out all the houses.

The washout rate is so high because everybody hardships out or resigns after realizing they can't afford to live there on AG pay, not due to any increased complexity in traffic. It's really the same issue.

If you have family there or a hookup with cheap rent and a reasonable commute to the center and want to stay in the area, there's really no reason not to take ZOA if you want to stay in the area. A lot of controllers don't identify with the politics or culture of California, so they don't see the appeal. Just accept that you probably are not getting out, and the techies will still be making more than you and buying out all the houses.

Huh? Did you poll everyone? I know a ton of controllers that identify with the politics and culture of Cali...

If you’re up for a day trip outdoor adventure I recommend making an hour and a half drive to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, Oklahoma. There’s some hiking, sightseeing, cool animals like Buffalo, Elk, Longhorns, and prairie dogs. Finish the day off with a lunch or dinner at Meers Restaurant. It’s a rustic touristy place so it’s packed on weekends, but they have good burgers and really good homemade ice cream and Cobbler. It’s also cash only so be prepared for that.

Back
Top Bottom