Should i apply?

broomstick

I know being an atc controller is what i want to do, however i have a few questions about the hiring process. How much time does it take before you have to go to OKC? Im currently in my senior year of college and am considering applying late july in hopes of graduating in april 2022 and then heading to okc right after i graduate. However, i do want to graduate and dont want to apply for the ATC BID if it would prevent me from finishing my degree. If i Do get accepted and i reject the TOL Because it interfers with my schooling, would i face any negative consequences regarding future employment with the faa or anything like that?

Last edited:
Just apply and take the offer if they give you one . Keep things simple , best advice you gonna get . Most of us don’t have degrees. How do you know you even gonna have a chance to apply late august ? Even IF you get to apply for the job , it could be years before u get cleared go to Okc , and that may be your only chance of getting into the agency .

I know being an atc controller is what i want to do, however i have a few questions about the hiring process. How much time does it take before you have to go to OKC? Im currently in my senior year of college and am considering applying late august in hopes of graduating and then heading to okc right after i graduate. However, i do want to graduate and dont want to apply for the ATC BID if it would prevent me from finishing my degree. If i Do get accepted and i reject the TOL Because it interfers with my schooling, would i face any negative consequences regarding future employment with the faa or anything like that?
Just apply. It’ll probably be at least a year until you make it to okc, if you make it that far. I applied for 3 years and got it on my last year of eligibility. I applied January 2020, I go to the academy September 1st 2021. As far as when you can apply, if you have no experience they only do an “ots” bid once to maybe twice a year. I believe the one this year is coming up on July 30th and open for a couple days. That’s your window. Get your resume ready to go on usajobs and start the waiting game. Also, I don’t believe rejecting a tol puts you in a bad position, could be wrong tho.

Just apply. It’ll probably be at least a year until you make it to okc, if you make it that far. I applied for 3 years and got it on my last year of eligibility. I applied January 2020, I go to the academy September 1st 2021. As far as when you can apply, if you have no experience they only do an “ots” bid once to maybe twice a year. I believe the one this year is coming up on July 30th and open for a couple days. That’s your window. Get your resume ready to go on usajobs and start the waiting game. Also, I don’t believe rejecting a tol puts you in a bad position, could be wrong tho.
I appreciate you

Just apply and take the offer if they give you one . Keep things simple , best advice you gonna get . Most of us don’t have degrees. How do you know you even gonna have a chance to apply late august ? Even IF you get to apply for the job , it could be years before u get cleared go to Okc , and that may be your only chance of getting into the agency .
Thank you so much

To make it clear op you can only apply during the open bid which I think is this week. And they only offer one bid a year. The whole process takes up to a year. There’s no bid in late august

To make it clear op you can only apply during the open bid which I think is this week. And they only offer one bid a year. The whole process takes up to a year. There’s no bid in late august
yeah i realized i meant late july, But thank you!

Apply this coming bid. Check out USA jobs for all the info. Full Send. If you really want this career, throw your name in the hat.
I do, i really do. been thinking about this since i was at least 8. thank you

From apply to even get a tentative offer is about a year from that to going to OKC is another 6 mos-1 year. Also you are able to defer your start date I think up to 6 months? Might be a little less or more

Also if you really want to be a controller that bad and the off the street route doesn’t work for you, consider doing ATC in almost any branch of the military. Even national guard. That can afford you the opportunity to get a CTO (tower rating), not to mention many veteran benefits to use throughout the rest of your life. With your prior experience then you could apply for the experience bid which is (usually) a quicker and more likely process than OTS. Just some food for thought if things don’t work out and you still really want to be a controller! There are also options to work at a contract tower or DOD towers with that experience as well.

Also if you really want to be a controller that bad and the off the street route doesn’t work for you, consider doing ATC in almost any branch of the military. Even national guard. That can afford you the opportunity to get a CTO (tower rating), not to mention many veteran benefits to use throughout the rest of your life. With your prior experience then you could apply for the experience bid which is (usually) a quicker and more likely process than OTS. Just some food for thought if things don’t work out and you still really want to be a controller! There are also options to work at a contract tower or DOD towers with that experience as well.
Don’t do this. Just get a job and keep applying

Are you saying yes there are negative consequences if i reject the tol?
I had a classmate reject a TOL and I can’t remember what his reason was. One year later he reapplied and was hired. That was in 2016/2017 bids. The FAA is semi-accommodating for life events. They offered me a June 1st Class date and allowed me to accept a July 18th class date because I was a groomsman in a wedding. I’ve heard of HR pushing back class dates for people to finish their degrees and get married as well.

Also if you really want to be a controller that bad and the off the street route doesn’t work for you, consider doing ATC in almost any branch of the military. Even national guard. That can afford you the opportunity to get a CTO (tower rating), not to mention many veteran benefits to use throughout the rest of your life. With your prior experience then you could apply for the experience bid
I'm not sure this is true. Don't experienced bids require 52 weeks as a CPC within the agency (military experience doesn't count)? Also, the "off the street" bid takes 50% off the street, 50% military/CTI last I heard, so military experience would still put you in the off the street bid.

Back
Top Bottom