Should i apply?

broomstick

I know being an atc controller is what i want to do, however i have a few questions about the hiring process. How much time does it take before you have to go to OKC? Im currently in my senior year of college and am considering applying late july in hopes of graduating in april 2022 and then heading to okc right after i graduate. However, i do want to graduate and dont want to apply for the ATC BID if it would prevent me from finishing my degree. If i Do get accepted and i reject the TOL Because it interfers with my schooling, would i face any negative consequences regarding future employment with the faa or anything like that?

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is true. Don't experienced bids require 52 weeks as a CPC within the agency (military experience doesn't count)? Also, the "off the street" bid takes 50% off the street, 50% military/CTI last I heard, so military experience would still put you in the off the street bid.
  • a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) air traffic control facility; OR
  • a civilian or military air traffic control facility of the Department of Defense, including National Guard facilities; OR
  • a tower operating under contract with the FAA under section 47124

I'm not sure this is true. Don't experienced bids require 52 weeks as a CPC within the agency (military experience doesn't count)? Also, the "off the street" bid takes 50% off the street, 50% military/CTI last I heard, so military experience would still put you in the off the street bid.
No 52 weeks of experience with a CTO

I had a classmate reject a TOL and I can’t remember what his reason was. One year later he reapplied and was hired. That was in 2016/2017 bids. The FAA is semi-accommodating for life events. They offered me a June 1st Class date and allowed me to accept a July 18th class date because I was a groomsman in a wedding. I’ve heard of HR pushing back class dates for people to finish their degrees and get married as well.
I would advise against rejecting a TOL. Getting a TOL on one bid doesn’t mean you’ll get one on a future bid

But yes, typically they are accommodating for Academy start dates

Absolutely not true. 52 weeks rated time anywhere. Military towers are the same as any other DOD tower where I’ve worked alongside with DOD civilians. Most military apply experience bid unless they were unlucky and didn’t receive a rating during their enlistment.

Absolutely not true. 52 weeks rated time anywhere. Military towers are the same as any other DOD tower where I’ve worked alongside with DOD civilians. Most military apply experience bid unless they were unlucky and didn’t receive a rating during their enlistment.
This. You can even get a cto with some of the CTI programs (two at least I know of) and work long enough to get the 52 weeks

Back
Top Bottom