Sick leave letters

tskiman

Trusted Contributor
So what’s the latest rumors about the agency and it’s collaboration with NATCA over potential SL letters?

???

6ksctv.jpg

I
So what’s the latest rumors about the agency and it’s collaboration with NATCA over potential SL letters?
Fear mongering.
Sick leave gets used pretty often at my facility. Most folks don't even have 40 hours lol. Instead of issuing sick leave letters, every so often a sup will say..."district is starting to look at sick leave". The cycle just repeats itself. Work, OT, sick leave..

Why do you think there is so much SL being used? People having a large bank of it while saving it during the COVID schedules (which would eventually correct itself)? Or did a lot of people’s work ethic break during the COVID schedule and training delays and it will be the norm to have many of the next generation of controllers to earn and burn SL like credit hour and never carry a bank or more then a few days?

Why do you think there is so much SL being used? People having a large bank of it while saving it during the COVID schedules (which would eventually correct itself)? Or did a lot of people’s work ethic break during the COVID schedule and training delays and it will be the norm to have many of the next generation of controllers to earn and burn SL like credit hour and never carry a bank or more then a few days?

I find it crazy how many people earn and burn. We had people pre-covid that were doing it so that isn't much of a change.

I had some health things come up last year that didn’t me down for terribly long. I burnt through 150 hours of sick + annual pretty quick. That was a wake up for me to make sure I have a reserve. I’ve taken 2 days this year, and I’m almost about to break the 200 hour mark again. It’s a nice insurance policy. For me personally, it makes me think twice about a nice day sickout.

Almost two years straight for mandatory OT. If you are being scheduled it’s not the people calling in sick that are getting you the OT.
It’s the agency and the union sitting around for 10 years while the staffing crisis was looming and allowing things to degrade even further with the COVID BS. Many were warning that stopping training for almost 2 years while people continued to retire and traffic continued to increase would only back us into a corner. Low and behold, here we are. And now it’s starting to affect NAS ops.

It’s the agency and the union sitting around for 10 years while the staffing crisis was looming and allowing things to degrade even further with the COVID BS. Many were warning that stopping training for almost 2 years while people continued to retire and traffic continued to increase would only back us into a corner. Low and behold, here we are. And now it’s starting to affect NAS ops.
Since March 2020, my area has had 4 released to supe jobs, 5 retire/DQ, and 1 R-Side trainee withdraw. In that period only 4 have CPC’d. Next year, 2 are unkown status, and we only have 2 R-sides in training (with one in school, which helpfully is stopped). Not to mention at least 4 more are looking/actively applying to supe jobs.

Today: staffing at ZNY, ZJX, ZME, and all areas of my building are between 2-5 under guides tonight.

...but I guess this is how the agency wants it. From what I’ve heard outside of the “back in my day, 16 people on a shift” stories is that staffing has always been short, with no solution given.

Laughs in 2.5 hours of sick leave balance. I enjoy my time off with my family more. Earn and burn baby. Even the supes know once I’m in the double digits, I’ll be banging!

Back
Top Bottom