Side jobs?

I actually emailed my HR rep today regarding a second job. I'm in the virtual tower cab training part right now where it's 3 hours on zoom and 5 hours of self-study. My HR rep said "Yes, as long as it does not interfere with your FAA work schedule", so in my case: 9:30 am- 5:30 pm.

Now mind you, I asked about a second job working with Grubhub and Shipt where I can pick and choose my hours whenever. When I first got the call in April for my onboarding date, a different HR rep said that dual-employment was not allowed. So it could be a different tone with whichever second job you look into getting. Not sure why it's a different answer from different HR reps.

bit of a necropost but how has this worked out for you? Do you use it when you’re on vacation? Do they house sit as well or just stop by a couple times a day?

Yeah i used them for vacation pre covid. No more than 7-8 days though. I started with people that had good reviews for 2-3 night stays to see how my dog was after. If he seemed happy i would use them for longer stays. I ended up using 2 people regularly that i trusted and they sent me updates every day. I never had someone come stay at my house, i just took him to theirs. I know they do have people that will just come walk your dog though or stop by a few times a day if you go away but since my dog is so old i didnt want him home alone and didnt want someone staying at my house. On rover you can filter it to people that have kids or people that have houses or people that have backyards and so on so you find the right fit. When i finally can travel again, i plan to use them again. Pm me if you have anymore questions

What happened to that long list of aeronautical stocks? It was removed from the FAA's page and I'm wondering if I can invest in Virgin Galactic lol.

Are they really an aerospace company if they have no plans?
If you pause that video in the link you can see the list, but it’s obviously outdated and states it’s not all-inclusive. Virgin Galactic is a subsidiary of Virgin which owns and operates air carriers so it would almost certainly be on the no-no list.

If you pause that video in the link you can see the list, but it’s obviously outdated and states it’s not all-inclusive. Virgin Galactic is a subsidiary of Virgin which owns and operates air carriers so it would almost certainly be on the no-no list.
Got it, thanks. At the same time, if it was a different stock would that be allowed?

Imagine Apple had a large stake in a spaceflight company that went public- would that mean we wouldn't be able to invest in either?

Because Virgin Group owns everything from fast food restaurants to cell phones lol

Last edited:
FAA order 3750.7B Appendix D.

(b) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no
FAA employee, or spouse or minor child of the employee, may hold stock or have any other
securities interest in an airline or aircraft manufacturing company, or in a supplier of components or
parts to an airline or aircraft manufacturing company.

FAA order 3750.7B Appendix D.

(b) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no
FAA employee, or spouse or minor child of the employee, may hold stock or have any other
securities interest in an airline or aircraft manufacturing company, or in a supplier of components or
parts to an airline or aircraft manufacturing company.

is spaceflight the same as airline/aircraft? I know BA doesn't apply in this scenario really because they do both. Just really interested in SPCE lol, kind of disappointed I can't invest in this.

Once people get to their first facility, being on AG pay is very hard if you’re not single. Many people at my facility worked for a food or grocery delivery app, or even a pizza joint delivering pizzas. No reason to run it by HR and you shouldn’t even worry about it.

is spaceflight the same as airline/aircraft? I know BA doesn't apply in this scenario really because they do both. Just really interested in SPCE lol, kind of disappointed I can't invest in this.

WhiteKnightTwo is a custom aircraft built by SPCE, I'd imagine they're off limits.

FWIW I’m at a Z and working a warehouse job outside of zoom hours. I didn’t ask for permission and I’ve made subtle hints and nobody seems to give a crap.

No company, not even the fantastic FAA can tell you what you do on your time. Just find out what the official “on the clock” hours are and schedule around that. For me it’s 8-4 that I can’t drink, so I work around that...

FWIW I’m at a Z and working a warehouse job outside of zoom hours. I didn’t ask for permission and I’ve made subtle hints and nobody seems to give a crap.

No company, not even the fantastic FAA can tell you what you do on your time. Just find out what the official “on the clock” hours are and schedule around that. For me it’s 8-4 that I can’t drink, so I work around that...

For me, its worth its weight in gold. The purpose, for me, to be on this site as well as others is if there was/ is any useful/ helpful information that I could obtain that I do not know and help out if I am able. This is good to hear the different options and situations of others.
When I received "the call" telling me the academy was shutting down in March, they were quick to shoot down having another job when I told them "yes I can on-board and can still work at night, that would be great, not ideal" as I was planning to be leaving town in less than 2 weeks at that time. Sounds like I may have been too forward in disclosing too much information/ questions to them.

Doesn’t the FAA have jurisdiction over US space issues now? Not really sure if that makes it off limits since don’t typically work spacecraft.

Once people get to their first facility, being on AG pay is very hard if you’re not single. Many people at my facility worked for a food or grocery delivery app, or even a pizza joint delivering pizzas. No reason to run it by HR and you shouldn’t even worry about it.

This scenario is why I have been stacking up all of my chips in preparation, having AG pay, in another state w/ four children/ wife/ animals/ etc. Hopefully, not banking on, but having Z: OB/ JX/ TL as the home base and # 1 & 2 having cpc in avg. time of 1.93 yrs. So thinking that 1 & 2 having, fingers crossed, 2 yrs for cpc then having D1 maybe in 6 months +/- and so fourth. Just looking ahead with the mindset of, hope for the best and plan for the worst as best I can.

bit of a necropost but how has this worked out for you? Do you use it when you’re on vacation? Do they house sit as well or just stop by a couple times a day?
We use Rover all the time when we go on vacation...you drop them off at someone's house and they watch your dog like it was one of their own. We've used it like 10 times and never had a problem...they have ratings and stuff and you can see how many repeat customers they have, too. It's usually between $30 and $40 a night so it adds up for a long vacation but you bust them fat ass N90 nutz so I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
It’s in the contract.

ARTICLE 94 OUTSIDE EMPLOYMENT

Section 1. In accordance with 5 CFR 2635.101(b)(10) and (14), 2635.801(c), and FAA Order 3750.7, outside employment in general is permitted so long as it neither conflicts with official government duties and responsibilities nor appears to do so. Employees are permitted to engage in outside aviation employment so long as the outside employer does not conduct activities for which the employee's facility or office has official responsibility.

The Agency shall maintain a list of ethics officials on the Office of the Chief Counsel (AGC) website with whom employees may consult for determinations of the propriety of an outside employment opportunity.

Section 2. Should an employee submit a written request for prior approval, it will be acted upon as soon as possible, generally within thirty (30) days of receipt. When the employee accepts outside employment without prior approval due to the Agency's failure to respond within thirty (30) days to his/her written request for a determination of propriety, the Agency will take this into consideration should disciplinary action later be contemplated.

Section 3. If prior approval is given and it is later determined that such employment is inconsistent with the provisions of Section 1, the following shall apply upon written notification to the employee:
a. If the outside employment is specifically prohibited by law, the employee shall cease the employment immediately.
b. In all other cases, the employee shall cease the employment within fourteen (14) days.

This scenario is why I have been stacking up all of my chips in preparation, having AG pay, in another state w/ four children/ wife/ animals/ etc. Hopefully, not banking on, but having Z: OB/ JX/ TL as the home base and # 1 & 2 having cpc in avg. time of 1.93 yrs. So thinking that 1 & 2 having, fingers crossed, 2 yrs for cpc then having D1 maybe in 6 months +/- as so fourth. Just looking ahead with the mindset of, hope for the best and plan for the worst.
Put some time in for delays. Just being realistic. It took my group 7 months to even hit the floor to start training. Still D1 with the government shutdown delay and now this with COVID.

Put some time in for delays. Just being realistic. It took my group 7 months to even hit the floor to start training. Still D1 with the government shutdown delay and now this with COVID.
Not to mention, COVID is going to cause a massive backlog throughout the training pipeline that will probably add at least a couple months to the ‘average’ CPC time at every facility.

It’s in the contract.

ARTICLE 94 OUTSIDE EMPLOYMENT

Section 1. In accordance with 5 CFR 2635.101(b)(10) and (14), 2635.801(c), and FAA Order 3750.7, outside employment in general is permitted so long as it neither conflicts with official government duties and responsibilities nor appears to do so. Employees are permitted to engage in outside aviation employment so long as the outside employer does not conduct activities for which the employee's facility or office has official responsibility.

The Agency shall maintain a list of ethics officials on the Office of the Chief Counsel (AGC) website with whom employees may consult for determinations of the propriety of an outside employment opportunity.

Section 2. Should an employee submit a written request for prior approval, it will be acted upon as soon as possible, generally within thirty (30) days of receipt. When the employee accepts outside employment without prior approval due to the Agency's failure to respond within thirty (30) days to his/her written request for a determination of propriety, the Agency will take this into consideration should disciplinary action later be contemplated.

Section 3. If prior approval is given and it is later determined that such employment is inconsistent with the provisions of Section 1, the following shall apply upon written notification to the employee:
a. If the outside employment is specifically prohibited by law, the employee shall cease the employment immediately.
b. In all other cases, the employee shall cease the employment within fourteen (14) days.

With this information submitted, I will be contacting OKC and see what they say for this, thank you all for the input. I find it hard to imagine that a 2nd job that doesn't conflict with the "primary duties" of the FAA while in training is prohibited but IS acceptable upon approval while at a facility. Training in OKC is pseudo scenarios and facility is "real world shit"/ people involved. I believe, if I am not mistaken, the rep down south of me stated something along the lines of: we don't want any interference with training, that is why they do not want any outside factors, that one can control, to play a possible negative part in. Then again, I find that hard to believe. I shall see tomorrow.

Absolutely, could not agree more! Worries me in what the next 6 months to 2 years look like, but I keep telling myself to let it go and just roll with the punches just like I have for the last, almost 7 years now.

Not to mention, COVID is going to cause a massive backlog throughout the training pipeline that will probably add at least a couple months to the ‘average’ CPC time at every facility.
Ya as of now, I’ve trained for a whopping 11 months out of the two years I’ve been at my facility. It’s been a great time.

Back
Top Bottom