Terminal Class pass rate

What determines why some places have a stand alone tracon (Orlando area) vs a major up/down (Tampa area)?
Side story: During our STARS installation one of the contractors was a former high up from ATL/A80 before and after they split. We were talking about the combined TRACONS. He said the reason ATL did it is because they would have had to create a new facility level (13) for them. I can't remember if he said the union said it or the FAA, but basically it was "no one is getting higher than new york." And that is how stand alone TRACONS are born.

Side story: During our STARS installation one of the contractors was a former high up from ATL/A80 before and after they split. We were talking about the combined TRACONS. He said the reason ATL did it is because they would have had to create a new facility level (13) for them. I can't remember if he said the union said it or the FAA, but basically it was "no one is getting higher than new york." And that is how stand alone TRACONS are born.
I heard that one of the former NATCA presidents that worked at Chicago (not sure if tower or approach) said that there will be no level 13 unless Chicago is 13 first.

I heard that one of the former NATCA presidents that worked at Chicago (not sure if tower or approach) said that there will be no level 13 unless Chicago is 13 first.
Ahh that may have been it actually now that I think about it!

Almost 50%, so basically in the normal range I guess.
What would you say is/was the most surprising part of the PA process? Was there anything your class wasn't ready for or felt behind on?
Nerves was the biggest factor. We lost a guy who had his CTO and was perfectly capable of working traffic. Voice recognition killed him I think. I'd say we lost 4 in the end that could have easily done this job. PAs in general are fairly straightforward. Nothing you haven't seen before.

In terms of people failing that you believe could've done the job, did they end up with 68, 69's overall or just an absolute collapse on their final PA's?

Nerves was the biggest factor. We lost a guy who had his CTO and was perfectly capable of working traffic. Voice recognition killed him I think. I'd say we lost 4 in the end that could have easily done this job. PAs in general are fairly straightforward. Nothing you haven't seen before.

That voice recognition is a real pain!!!!! We lost one guy to it too.

It was Chicago that was jealous under John Carr and Atlanta did receive level 13 backpay even washouts who were there during that timeframe. Then, the union and agency negotiated a no cap traffic count index so you can never exceed a level 12.

FAR is no easy ride. I hope the culture has improved, it was pretty bad a few years back. They have one of the lowest checkout rates for a 6 up/down.

Any tips on beating the voice recognition? I'd like to think I've been pretty clear on the radio over the years, but it would suck to end up like your classmate.

Is there like an unusual diction/enunciation that the computer requires for you to be heard? Might have to break out my "oh-god-its-Aeroflot" voice.

Any tips on beating the voice recognition? I'd like to think I've been pretty clear on the radio over the years, but it would suck to end up like your classmate.

Is there like an unusual diction/enunciation that the computer requires for you to be heard? Might have to break out my "oh-god-its-Aeroflot" voice.
If you speak clearly and concise, you shouldn't have an issue. If you're prone to mumble, have an accent, or speaklikethiswhenyoutalkonfrequency, it could be an issue.

You will have enough trial runs to figure out what certain words the voice recognition doesn't like. It typically varies from person to person. For example, I had to say " runway 28 LIFT" instead of left.

For 95% of people, voice recognition shouldn't cause too much trouble. Talk normal with as little accent as possible. Could take some getting used to for the southern backwoods type people. Heavy Spanish accents could be a problem.
If you talk to the correct airplane with the correct callsign with the correct phraseology and don't clip your transmission, about 99% of your "voice recognition issues" are completely solved.

Back
Top Bottom