Terminal Class pass rate

I
You were pass/pass? One of the test classes for the cumulative grading system I'm guessing?
I was in a pass/fail PV class. I literally can't remember anyone studying, other than a quick glance at end-of-lesson tests to get ready for a block test.
But it was a totally different system, because the instructors did a preview of the test immediately before the actual test. And in those days it wasn't such a big deal if you said something wrong in a transmission as long as you went back and corrected it. Now I think it's considered the error being made as soon as you unkey the transmission.
The airport diagram and made-up scenarios that students run these days at home, goes above and beyond what should be needed to pass the course.
I went to RTF only. Straight to a tracon.

RTF is extremely laid back, unlike tower class. They don't call it controller summer camp for nothing! The instructors and the evaluators are a lot harder on you in tower, or at least they were in 2010/11. In my class the final in RTF had an instructor running south, so you didn't have the complications of another student complicating your final, hitting holes, not taking handoffs etc.

Well, I'm just reading GulfBravoPapa's original comment, and I don't see anything there where he took pleasure in watching people washout.
I'm glad she took the time to clarify her comment and it certainly seems like a misunderstanding. I, obviously, did not take to kindly to the below comment on the first read.
I am always entertained by people that get bummed or distracted by people who are affected by classmates failing.

RTF is extremely laid back, unlike tower class. They don't call it controller summer camp for nothing! The instructors and the evaluators are a lot harder on you in tower, or at least they were in 2010/11. In my class the final in RTF had an instructor running south, so you didn't have the complications of another student complicating your final, hitting holes, not taking handoffs etc.
RTF now doesn't even have final graded runs. It's just a skill check and I don't think they even keep track of grades.

On one of my RTF final evals, the instructor running the other half of the airspace was so far down the shitter the guy grading me had to help him out.

In case anyone is curious - the last two terminal classes have passed 9/18 and 14/17 respectively. I'm not sure why the second class had 17 and not 18, but that's what I was told.

RTF is still pass-pass these days, but nobody at the academy knows how long that'll stick around or if it'll change. Take it all a month at a time, I suppose.

In case anyone is curious - the last two terminal classes have passed 9/18 and 14/17 respectively. I'm not sure why the second class had 17 and not 18, but that's what I was told.

RTF is still pass-pass these days, but nobody at the academy knows how long that'll stick around or if it'll change. Take it all a month at a time, I suppose.

Class that finished yesterday was 12 of 17. All passed basics and 1 joined for tower training.

I would imagine that RTF will be pass/pass for a while, atleast for folks that have already been to the academy once before. However we did have someone that "failed", when he got back he had to do sims and SET, and was told if he failed either of those he would lose his job by management.

I would imagine that RTF will be pass/pass for a while, atleast for folks that have already been to the academy once before. However we did have someone that "failed", when he got back he had to do sims and SET, and was told if he failed either of those he would lose his job by management.

I really believe with the volatile status of the academy and FAA training, it could go a number of ways at any point, but I would say it's likely to remain up to the facility to decide your "fate" after RTF for the foreseeable future. Currently RTF is called a workshop so "failing" or failing are not possible since they don't even print out a scorecard to my knowledge. "completed" is the only result (I guess besides incomplete?)

Rtf was pass/fail for my new hire class in 2015. I guess they don't do them very often though.

Last edited:
I really believe with the volatile status of the academy and FAA training, it could go a number of ways at any point, but I would say it's likely to remain up to the facility to decide your "fate" after RTF for the foreseeable future. Currently RTF is called a workshop so "failing" or failing are not possible since they don't even print out a scorecard to my knowledge. "completed" is the only result (I guess besides incomplete?)

Let me rephrase, the person from our facility received an unsatisfactory, not failed.

Rtf was pass/fail for my new hire class in 2915. I guess they don't do them very often though.

in.... who? 2015 something?

I guess RTF could be pass/fail for non-BUE members, but like I said earlier, even if you get unsat or fail, facility still gets the final say (just like in a TRB).

in.... who? 2015 something?

I guess RTF could be pass/fail for non-BUE members, but like I said earlier, even if you get unsat or fail, facility still gets the final say (just like in a TRB).
RTF classes for new-hires were pass/fail. The facility doesn't get a say in anyone passing as a new-hire.
FAA is looking to get some new-hire RTF classes scheduled in the future, and they would have to be pass/fail.

RTF classes for new-hires were pass/fail. The facility doesn't get a say in anyone passing as a new-hire.
FAA is looking to get some new-hire RTF classes scheduled in the future, and they would have to be pass/fail.

So a question about RTF, do they just go for the consolidated TRACONS like NorCal, SoCal and Potomac or do they start off at the smaller up/down facilities? I ask because I've always had it in my head that I'd like to get to a TRACON by starting out in a smaller up/down working tower then progressing to the radar downstairs and then move on to a bigger facility, you know the drill. Is that the correct or a valid progression path or do they like to keep terminal and RTF totally separate?

So a question about RTF, do they just go for the consolidated TRACONS like NorCal, SoCal and Potomac or do they start off at the smaller up/down facilities? I ask because I've always had it in my head that I'd like to get to a TRACON by starting out in a smaller up/down working tower then progressing to the radar downstairs and then move on to a bigger facility, you know the drill. Is that the correct or a valid progression path or do they like to keep terminal and RTF totally separate?

A new-hire terminal student will get assigned to a tower or an up/down. You'll get tower certified at a facility, then come back for RTF. If you move on after that to a tracon only, you won't need to attend RTF again.
Terminal includes both tower and tracon facilities.

If by chance they do bring back new hire RTF classes, you will go straight to a tracon only.

If you go to a new hire rtf class only you will go to a level 9 or below TRACON only. So that's Bradley, Memphis, Pensacola, cape, high desert, Omaha, and one in the Pacific Northwest that I can't remember. I think that's it.

Back
Top Bottom