Terminal Class pass rate

A new-hire terminal student will get assigned to a tower or an up/down. You'll get tower certified at a facility, then come back for RTF. If you move on after that to a tracon only, you won't need to attend RTF again.
Terminal includes both tower and tracon facilities.
If an academy grad goes to an up/down, do they get CPC pay once they check out in tower?

If an academy grad goes to an up/down, do they get CPC pay once they check out in tower?

No. Certifying in one half of the facility your at would not make you a CPC. I believe the number of positions that your facility has determines when you get raises. For us we had to certify on FD/CD, GC, and LC before going to the D2 band. Then We have to get Radar data, and REast before we go to the D3 band and finally CPC after we get RWest.

Download the Slate Book under the resources tab and look under page 266-268. It gives a breakdown of every level and type facility. It'll show you how you move from AG to CPC and what steps your facility has (D1, D2, and/or D3)

Thanks guys, just wondering. Guess that could be a factor in choosing a tower only vs an up/down. Headed to the academy in a few weeks and kinda want to get CPC as fast as I can, but also would like the radar experience for the career advancement potential.

Thanks guys, just wondering. Guess that could be a factor in choosing a tower only vs an up/down. Headed to the academy in a few weeks and kinda want to get CPC as fast as I can, but also would like the radar experience for the career advancement potential.

All of the big towers seem to be hiring level 5/6 tower only controllers with low time in the agency, radar ticket doesn't seem to hold much weight with them anymore. I would go tower only just for the quick cert if I had to start again.

All of the big towers seem to be hiring level 5/6 tower only controllers with low time in the agency, radar ticket doesn't seem to hold much weight with them anymore. I would go tower only just for the quick cert if I had to start again.
But is that the high level tower only or high level up/downs picking up those low level tower only controllers? I would like to eventually get to a decent sized up/down.

What would be you recommendation for a guy whose about to start Terminal basics in a few weeks and wants to eventually go to a high level TRACON like Potomac, NorCal or SoCal?

What would be you recommendation for a guy whose about to start Terminal basics in a few weeks and wants to eventually go to a high level TRACON like Potomac, NorCal or SoCal?
1. Pass the academy
2. Once you pass there's two trains of thought. How confident are you in your abilities? If you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, SCT and NCT will probably still need people and the cost of living in Cali is enough to scare most people off. If you want to get there ASAP, highest level tower only with the best staffing percentages would allow you to start putting out ERRs (transfer requests) faster. It will most likely take you longer to get there, but going to the highest level up down will better prepare you to be successful if you get the opportunity.

If I were you, the transfer process is continually changing and everyone is getting pushed toward the national averages. If your ultimate goal is to get to a high level TRACON, I'd highly encourage you to go to the highest available up down out of the academy.

Last edited:
I guess now that you mention it, not that many. I can only think of 3 off the top of my head MIA TPA CLT.
Not bad! PHL is the only one you missed.

TPA is still a true up down.

MIA has two tracks - TRACON only or Tower and 3 scopes.

I'm not positive on the breakdown of PHL and CLT.

What determines why some places have a stand alone tracon (Orlando area) vs a major up/down (Tampa area)?

Not bad! PHL is the only one you missed.

TPA is still a true up down.

MIA has two tracks - TRACON only or Tower and 3 scopes.

I'm not positive on the breakdown of PHL and CLT.
I got to intern down at MIA so I guess I got the impression that Up/downs were the norm everywhere. I think I'd like to eventually end up at a place like TPA, CLT, RDU, or BNA.

Back
Top Bottom