Terminal Class pass rate

I did CTI and although the program itself was fun and it's nice having a bachelors I dont think it's worth it for ATC, especially for terminal. My CTI had a full tower sim and a reasonably accurate STARS/ ERAM sim but the tower class doesnt help for terminal at all. My CTI simulated a major class bravo so I never learned how to run a pattern, how to sequence in the tower, how to work practice approaches and fighter jets.

I do think it'll help more for radar when I get there but even then not enough to really be worth it. CTI might be more beneficial if you get enroute but idk cause I didnt do that.

I did CTI and although the program itself was fun and it's nice having a bachelors I dont think it's worth it for ATC, especially for terminal. My CTI had a full tower sim and a reasonably accurate STARS/ ERAM sim but the tower class doesnt help for terminal at all. My CTI simulated a major class bravo so I never learned how to run a pattern, how to sequence in the tower, how to work practice approaches and fighter jets.

I do think it'll help more for radar when I get there but even then not enough to really be worth it. CTI might be more beneficial if you get enroute but idk cause I didnt do that.
Wow, I can’t believe they don’t teach a vfr pattern. That’s a big miss imo.

The only 1 true benefit that you 100% will get from CTI is being in pool 1. So mainly it will just increase the odds of getting picked to go to the academy because your considered before anyone in pool 2. But being CTI does not promise passing academy. You will have to put in hard work to pass.

The only 1 true benefit that you 100% will get from CTI is being in pool 1. So mainly it will just increase the odds of getting picked to go to the academy because your considered before anyone in pool 2. But being CTI does not promise passing academy. You will have to put in hard work to pass.
Also if you structure your degree right it can be something like avaition business management with cti emphasis or minor. That way you can easily get a job at an airline or something if atc doesn’t work out.

I would say only if they have a simulator like they use at the academy. Otherwise academy is just book learning and then learning sims/phraseology
Anyone have any insight if going to a CTI program will improve your chances of success at the academy?
Looking back I think the CTI degree was helpful. However, I would recommend having another degree as a fallback. Only having the CTI degree just puts too much pressure on passing because all of your eggs are in the ATC basket. I ended up passing but I felt I was more nervous than most of my class since they all had other degrees and careers they put on hold to try ATC.

I thought Pool 1 and Pool 2 had the same number of selections. The advantage is Pool 1 has less applicants, so greater chance based on number that applied in that pool

Not accurate.
I thought Pool 1 and Pool 2 had the same number of selections. The advantage is Pool 1 has less applicants, so greater chance based on number that applied in that pool
Not 100% accurate. Pool 1 and Pool 2 cannot carry by more than 10% (45% and 55% respectively). Pool 1 is CTI and Vets, Pool 2 is everyone else. The last few years the major contributor to being picked up is your ATSA score. Get Best Qualified on the ATSA and it's almost a sure shot of being selected. That being said, if either pool has a low amount of BQ's in their pool, the numbers for the other pool could potentially be affected because of the 10% rule. IIRC this happened a few years ago where one pool all of the BQ's were selected, but not everyone from the other were because of the 10% rule.

Not accurate.

Not 100% accurate. Pool 1 and Pool 2 cannot carry by more than 10% (45% and 55% respectively). Pool 1 is CTI and Vets, Pool 2 is everyone else. The last few years the major contributor to being picked up is your ATSA score. Get Best Qualified on the ATSA and it's almost a sure shot of being selected. That being said, if either pool has a low amount of BQ's in their pool, the numbers for the other pool could potentially be affected because of the 10% rule. IIRC this happened a few years ago where one pool all of the BQ's were selected, but not everyone from the other were because of the 10% rule.
The 10% rule went away when the ATC Hiring Reform Act of 2019 became law as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020.

Now it just goes BQP1>BQP2>WQP1>WQP2>QP1>QP2 until hiring needs are met.

Anyone have any insight if going to a CTI program will improve your chances of success at the academy?
If they use a simulator with the academy runways/taxiways, then it should improve your chances. There are some CTI programs that are a joke. It just depends what you put into it, how bad you want it, etc. Personally, I don’t think I would have done as well as I did without CTI.

Just remember that going to CTI doesn’t guarantee you’ll get in right away. I know people who were called up during college, and I know people who got called up when they were 30. Mine took 3.5 years after I graduated. Be patient and have a backup plan

If they use a simulator with the academy runways/taxiways, then it should improve your chances. There are some CTI programs that are a joke. It just depends what you put into it, how bad you want it, etc. Personally, I don’t think I would have done as well as I did without CTI.

Just remember that going to CTI doesn’t guarantee you’ll get in right away. I know people who were called up during college, and I know people who got called up when they were 30. Mine took 3.5 years after I graduated. Be patient and have a backup plan
Oh and from reading above..my CTI school DID have VFR pattern work. Lol exactly why some are a joke..

Question for anyone that's just graduating from the academy, is there anything that you would recommend someone study before you even get to OKC?
The map if you can get your hands on it, otherwise study absolutely nothing at all and come in with an empty brain. You’ll only get yourself into bad habits trying to figure it out on your own. Learn the alphabet actually.

Back
Top Bottom