Terminal Class pass rate

A bid with 2 years at the academy then a dream sheet would fill in a millisecond. I think that’s basically what they do for evaluators.
They do, but it’s like level 9s and up. So limited selection of evaluators. They need to drop it down to 7s or something to even capture a good chunk of potential candidates.

They do, but it’s like level 9s and up. So limited selection of evaluators. They need to drop it down to 7s or something to even capture a good chunk of potential candidates.
Yeah, I'd imagine it's hard to get a bunch of level 9+ people (aside from those who have lost their medical or something) to bid an instructor job where they're going to take a pay cut if they are in a locality higher than rest of U.S. to move to relocate to OKC for multiple years. I would have really enjoyed going out there and teaching for 3 years and OKC would've been an upgrade from the shit hole I was at, as well as a raise but they won't take anyone from low levels, regardless of skill level.

Why even have a cap? I know people at level 12s that haven’t worked a plan in the pattern in decades, and I also know people from level 4-5 that work 2-5 in the pattern daily on intersecting runways. If they are so short on instructors then remove the level cap and just make sure these instructors can work Academy airport.

And a 50% pass rate is pathetic, academy is not hard at all, I have seen some really dumb trainees that wouldn’t make it at any facility that have been able to pass at the academy. Not to mention I’m sure there’s some great prospects that get passed up for the job just because their application easing one of the random few that got pulled.

I am not saying I agree with the level requirement as is, but I think it's put into place to ensure that you have applied the rules that they use at the academy. Many lower level towers don't use any form of radar separation, which is integral to the academy training program (if it's the same as when I went).

Maybe if they changed it to 52 weeks experience at a Class C/B then it would be a more applicable requirement?

I am not saying I agree with the level requirement as is, but I think it's put into place to ensure that you have applied the rules that they use at the academy. Many lower level towers don't use any form of radar separation, which is integral to the academy training program (if it's the same as when I went).

Maybe if they changed it to 52 weeks experience at a Class C/B then it would be a more applicable requirement?

I guarantee my level 5 up/down delta is way more like academy airport than any bravo out there. What bravos are working intersecting departures and skyhawk pattern work at the same time?

I guarantee my level 5 up/down delta is way more like academy airport than any bravo out there. What bravos are working intersecting departures and skyhawk pattern work at the same time?
At the end of the day any CPC at any facility should be at least considered for an academy instructor. They were obviously good enough to pass the Academy and certify at whatever facility they were sent to. And unless things have changed new instructors have to “sit in” on a class and basically re-pass academy and show they have the knowledge for it.

The whole shortage of instructors is absolutely bullshit. I’ve put in for the last three bids and was told “You’re not qualified…we have a lot of people with permanent supervisory and ATM experience…” The Agency can’t afford to pull people out of higher level facilities. The Agency’s only “solution” is to let some dude from somewhere that doesn’t fucking matter like Casper, Wyoming bid, get selected, and their absence from the middle of nowhere has no impact on the NAS.

10 academy grads per month? That’ll solve the staffing issues.
I just ran the numbers from this thread, thanks to the guy that's dedicated his life to posting the lists and pass rates.

So far this year, as long as he or I didn't miss any, we've gained 131 academy grads for an average of 16 per month.

At that rate it'll be ~200 per year, just for terminal. Like honestly what the fuck? They know this and are literally not doing anything to improve hiring, expanding the academy, and improving placement to reduce attrition through transfers and hardships.

How are they touting hiring 1,500 people per year and only getting 200 through the academy for terminal.

Back
Top Bottom