Terminal Class pass rate

I just ran the numbers from this thread, thanks to the guy that's dedicated his life to posting the lists and pass rates.

So far this year, as long as he or I didn't miss any, we've gained 131 academy grads for an average of 16 per month.

At that rate it'll be ~200 per year, just for terminal. Like honestly what the fuck? They know this and are literally not doing anything to improve hiring, expanding the academy, and improving placement to reduce attrition through transfers and hardships.

How are they touting hiring 1,500 people per year and only getting 200 through the academy for terminal.
Because you have what, 2 or 3 experienced bids a year on top of that? Not sure if there’s any reliable data regarding the number of controllers hired, passed medical, accepted their assignment, and started at their facility.

I just ran the numbers from this thread, thanks to the guy that's dedicated his life to posting the lists and pass rates.

So far this year, as long as he or I didn't miss any, we've gained 131 academy grads for an average of 16 per month.

At that rate it'll be ~200 per year, just for terminal. Like honestly what the fuck? They know this and are literally not doing anything to improve hiring, expanding the academy, and improving placement to reduce attrition through transfers and hardships.

How are they touting hiring 1,500 people per year and only getting 200 through the academy for terminal.
They do the majority of the terminal new hires through PE now. There’s always gonna be a political push to hire military and NATCA supported increasing the amount of PEs. All they’ve really done so far is replace terminal AGs though. The terminal academy should still be operating at a much higher clip with PEs in addition to. The current model doesn’t seem to have increased terminal hiring as a whole but PEs don’t wash at the academy so there’s less attrition.

They typically have a 4:1:1 ratio for Enroute:Terminal:N90, so those numbers actually do make some sense. Most terminal hires come from experienced hire bids.

Did you run the numbers for the enroute side as well?

Did you run the numbers for the enroute side as well?
Not yet, but I can. What I did see is on the PPT, the NAS needs approx 4,000 gains to target numbers. Less than half is enroute (~1,800), and 25% of the enroute gains are for ZNY alone which is a scam. Also makes you wonder why they don't get the special local hiring that N90 does.

Either way, terminal facilities are not going to get staffed with 2,000+ gains by getting 200 academy grads per year. That's outrageous. And I don't believe the majority come from PE bids. I went through the academy prior experience as an en route to terminal transfer. It's 100% pass so even if you run 1 class per month and graduate 18 per class, that's barely over 200 more from that side of things. And they are for sure not running more than 1 of those per month.

Not yet, but I can. What I did see is on the PPT, the NAS needs approx 4,000 gains to target numbers. Less than half is enroute (~1,800), and 25% of the enroute gains are for ZNY alone which is a scam. Also makes you wonder why they don't get the special local hiring that N90 does.

Either way, terminal facilities are not going to get staffed with 2,000+ gains by getting 200 academy grads per year. That's outrageous. And I don't believe the majority come from PE bids. I went through the academy prior experience as an en route to terminal transfer. It's 100% pass so even if you run 1 class per month and graduate 18 per class, that's barely over 200 more from that side of things. And they are for sure not running more than 1 of those per month.
Someone from the discord has generously been keeping track of enroute pass rates this year: Finals pass rate

And it's probably closer to 150 cpcs after accounting for washouts and resignations.

PE Bids don't go through the academy. We're not talking about center transfers. PE bids refers to hires on bids like these which is absolutely where the majority of terminal staffing comes from.

PE Bids don't go through the academy. We're not talking about center transfers. PE bids refers to hires on bids like these which is absolutely where the majority of terminal staffing comes from.
Idk, when I went through more than 2/3 of my class was prior experience people so I'm not sure why they're required to go through and some are not

Idk, when I went through more than 2/3 of my class was prior experience people so I'm not sure why they're required to go through and some are not
From my understanding you have the choice if you want to go to the Academy and/or RTF if you’re prior experience. Some of the people at my facility with prior experience went and some didn’t

It depends on what bid they were hired under. PE individuals that get hired under the OTS bid still have to go to the academy.

Also, a vast majority of PE controllers are only tower/approach. Few have worked at the one or two Air Force facilities that somehow qualify for en route experience.

I have an approach ticket but it’s been like 6+ years since I’ve looked at a scope so I’d probably prefer to be run back through a radar course if given the option.

It depends on what bid they were hired under. PE individuals that get hired under the OTS bid still have to go to the academy.
Yeah but what I'm talking about is specifically PE classes that consist of center to tower transfers, as well as PE military guys. They're pass/pass, and a lot shorter than the standard tower class. If I understand correctly, PE people who applied and got in on OTS bids would be going to the standard pass/fail classes with the rest of the OTS people.
From my understanding you have the choice if you want to go to the Academy and/or RTF if you’re prior experience. Some of the people at my facility with prior experience went and some didn’t
I don't think anyone in my class was given a choice, because most of them probably would have declined if they were.

Yeah but what I'm talking about is specifically PE classes that consist of center to tower transfers, as well as PE military guys. They're pass/pass, and a lot shorter than the standard tower class. If I understand correctly, PE people who applied and got in on OTS bids would be going to the standard pass/fail classes with the rest of the OTS people.

I don't think anyone in my class was given a choice, because most of them probably would have declined if they were.
The pass/pass class is the center washout class

Also, a vast majority of PE controllers are only tower/approach. Few have worked at the one or two Air Force facilities that somehow qualify for en route experience.

I have an approach ticket but it’s been like 6+ years since I’ve looked at a scope so I’d probably prefer to be run back through a radar course if given the option.
Did you know you can’t give void times to adjacent contract facilities? 🤡

Did you know you can’t give void times to adjacent contract facilities? 🤡
Brother we don’t even have release expirations lol I could get a release before they ever begin taxi, have to hold on the runway, then depart 10 minutes later and that’s just the price of doing business 40 miles away from your nearest airport (as opposed to 4) 😂

Back
Top Bottom