Terminal Class pass rate

Sometimes I forget the extremes of the "I agree to move anywhere in the US" and then I really sit down and think about what it would be like telling my wife and family, "Hey guys we're moving to freakin Aspen/Nantucket, so forget about owning a house in the next 5-10 years. I said I'd go anywhere, just tough luck guys." Or even crazier, "Hey family, I hope you like open spaces and subzero temperatures because my Ground Controller screwed me on my eval and we're going to Fargo, ND with no plausible realistic timeframe of being able to leave." I love the job, but its astonishing to think about the range of outcomes for someone out of the academy
Especially since there are humans in their 20s that grew up, and already live in Fargo

You know this when you apply. If you want a job where you get to pick your own location then don't go into aviation. If you want a job where you have weekends and holidays off, don't go into aviation. If you want a job working 9-5 don't go into aviation. People need to have realistic expectations as to what they are applying for.

Sometimes I forget the extremes of the "I agree to move anywhere in the US" and then I really sit down and think about what it would be like telling my wife and family, "Hey guys we're moving to freakin Aspen/Nantucket, so forget about owning a house in the next 5-10 years. I said I'd go anywhere, just tough luck guys." Or even crazier, "Hey family, I hope you like open spaces and subzero temperatures because my Ground Controller screwed me on my eval and we're going to Fargo, ND with no plausible realistic timeframe of being able to leave." I love the job, but its astonishing to think about the range of outcomes for someone out of the academy
Or the computer calling up over the final approach fix when they exit the runway and they say just work through it?

Wife and I had an understanding if we wound up getting Roswell, Nantucket, or Aspen then I'd pass on this job.

You know this when you apply. If you want a job where you get to pick your own location then don't go into aviation. If you want a job where you have weekends and holidays off, don't go into aviation. If you want a job working 9-5 don't go into aviation. People need to have realistic expectations as to what they are applying for.
Yea but no one said we had to be happy about whichever corner of the country we’re shipped off to on someone’s whim

Hey man, Fargo ain't that bad. They have 3 releases and 2 more trainees close to CPC. I'd go there tomorrow if it meant getting out of my fac.
Quite a few I know are looking into other options once they hit CPC then going to DOD for a while.
I've looked into DOD good and hard but I think there is a very real possibility over never getting back in the FAA after leaving, especially when traffic never returns, easy checkouts are flowing, and most facilities in the NAS are grossly overstaffed. I still check usajobs most days of the week though haha. Enid, OK doesn't look too bad all of a sudden.

Hey man, Fargo ain't that bad. They have 3 releases and 2 more trainees close to CPC. I'd go there tomorrow if it meant getting out of my fac.

I've looked into DOD good and hard but I think there is a very real possibility over never getting back in the FAA after leaving, especially when traffic never returns, easy checkouts are flowing, and most facilities in the NAS are grossly overstaffed. I still check usajobs most days of the week though haha. Enid, OK doesn't look too bad all of a sudden.
Traffic never returns. Lol

So is there anyone here that arrived at their facility at/around the time COVID hit last year? Did you ever end up starting training or are you still sitting on AG pay? I know training is backed up at most, if not all, of the bigger facilities but I was wondering what it was like at the smaller towers. I think training time is probably one of my bigger factors as far as selecting a facility but obv the listed training times on the facility pages probably no longer apply.

So is there anyone here that arrived at their facility at/around the time COVID hit last year? Did you ever end up starting training or are you still sitting on AG pay? I know training is backed up at most, if not all, of the bigger facilities but I was wondering what it was like at the smaller towers. I think training time is probably one of my bigger factors as far as selecting a facility but obv the listed training times on the facility pages probably no longer apply.
Picking the best staffed tower only is probably the best answer. Unless there is an awesome up down or a facility close to home.

Yep, I arrived at my facility before covid hit. The timing was so ‘perfect’ I had just enough time to get oriented, finish classroom, and plug in on FD/CD/GC for 3 training days. That’s right, a whopping grand total of 3 training hours under my belt before being literally pulled off mid-training session and sent home. Been on EA ever since until my facility waiver was just approved. Now waiting to be recalled.

Yep, I arrived at my facility before covid hit. The timing was so ‘perfect’ I had just enough time to get oriented, finish classroom, and plug in on FD/CD/GC for 3 training days. That’s right, a whopping grand total of 3 training hours under my belt before being literally pulled off mid-training session and sent home. Been on EA ever since until my facility waiver was just approved. Now waiting to be recalled.
And you damn well better pick up right where your three hours left off or else!!!!! /s

Nowadays I would stick to a place with the lowest amount of trainees and no approach. RTF is going to be backed up further than Ted Cruz up Trumps ass.
Lol my list was 7 up/downs and 2 towers. Both the towers sucked. At least buying a house makes more sense now that I’ll be there for a long ass time lmao

Back
Top Bottom