Terminal Class pass rate

1.) get hired enroute
2.) select the ZOA alternate
3.) get allergies on orientation day and hardship.
You’ll be certified at the 12 tower of your choice before ever would’ve even started training at the center.
This should be in the FAA welcome packet.
“Look to your left. Now to your right. One of these individuals will hardship due to allergies and bypass 250 applicants to get one of the top 4 facilities in the NAS”

Honestly it probably is still beneficial to start your radar experience in a place where you aren’t getting your nuts smashed in every session. I know I’m grateful I started at an up/down just to have a full knowledge of how it all works. Easier to decide where to put paperwork into if you don’t want to end up back where you came from.

Honestly it probably is still beneficial to start your radar experience in a place where you aren’t getting your nuts smashed in every session. I know I’m grateful I started at an up/down just to have a full knowledge of how it all works. Easier to decide where to put paperwork into if you don’t want to end up back where you came from.
While I agree a little bit, a low level updown really isn’t a good representation for a high level tower or Tracon. At my first updown people would yell out for a training team when 3 arrival strips printed out. Yes they were scared of working three IFR arrivals….. “Oh shit, how do we figure this one out???”

While I agree a little bit, a low level updown really isn’t a good representation for a high level tower or Tracon. At my first updown people would yell out for a training team when 3 arrival strips printed out. Yes they were scared of working three IFR arrivals….. “Oh shit, how do we figure this one out???”
This is true, how good or bad you are at a low level up/down is no correlation to how you perform at a busy place. Prior to 2016 or whenever they started the no new hires going to high then level 7 terminal facilities rule, people were sent wherever. You had off the street make it at complex radar places all the time. Yes there were washouts, but not in significantly higher levels then there are now.

This is true, how good or bad you are at a low level up/down is no correlation to how you perform at a busy place. Prior to 2016 or whenever they started the no new hires going to high then level 7 terminal facilities rule, people were sent wherever. You had off the street make it at complex radar places all the time. Yes there were washouts, but not in significantly higher levels then there are now.
This and this.

This and this.
This, this and this.

All good points. I more meant, however, if I hated either one, I wouldn’t be as inclined to apply to more or the same elsewhere, so I (personally) appreciate knowing how both operate enough to decide where I apply to in the future.

All good points. I more meant, however, if I hated either one, I wouldn’t be as inclined to apply to more or the same elsewhere, so I (personally) appreciate knowing how both operate enough to decide where I apply to in the future.
My point works for ability and preference. Working at a low level really ain’t a good idea of working at a large airport as far as preference.

Working only jets and professional pilots is far different tower experience than a 7 up down lol. I couldn’t have said which one I liked more until I left that first facility. It’s kinda funny, you’ll run into high level tower controllers who have no idea how to run a pattern. A guy comes out for a vfr lap in the pattern to test an engine and everyone’s head explodes lol.

I guess if you just hate the tower and windows or hate the radar room and lack of windows it would be easy to know. ?. I enjoyed working an updown for the knowledge and to break up the monotony of only one of the other. Plus if you didn’t like so and so you just sent them to the tower lol.

Back
Top Bottom