The upcoming stacked leave apocalypse

What about when the thunderstorms roll through and someone needs to set up route swaps and coordinate runway changes etc...
SWAPs are non existent below level nine towers I assume. My level 8 just vectored off departure end and Tracon/center would deal with it. So it was just chase the wind with runway changes and send planes where the cells aren’t lol.

what? Sorry, I can’t believe this. I’m looking ATADS data and it doesn’t appear to be true.

ZAN is close sometimes, but even then nope. We have had a few busy days here and there, but they are outliers not the norm.

Where are you getting your data from?
Not defending how he came up with his conclusion but looking at just operation numbers doesn't tell the whole story. Example, if you normally staff 8 positions in the winter and you're running 80-90% summer traffic, but now you're staffing 4 positions doing 55% of normal summer traffic you could be working harder now than in the winter with less ops.

Question for the class. I am more than likely going to keep some upcoming prime time, if we are on these schedules at that time will I need to request my old RDOs off? Is there some sort of protection for RDOs mentioned in the CBA?

For the naysayers, yes I know there's a pandemic, no I'm not changing my travel dates to line up on my 5 off days since we bought tickets precovid.

Question for the class. I am more than likely going to keep some upcoming prime time, if we are on these schedules at that time will I need to request my old RDOs off? Is there some sort of protection for RDOs mentioned in the CBA?

For the naysayers, yes I know there's a pandemic, no I'm not changing my travel dates to line up on my 5 off days since we bought tickets precovid.
I would put the request in now, and put in the notes that it is prime time leave. I would think the same protections are in place if you get forced to new RDOs.

I’m not sure about the CBA aspect of it but that’s how my area started approving spot leave. My area rep worked it out with management and they started approving RDO’s in conjunction with primetime.

One day on either side of your 5 is cba guaranteed. A week is defined as 7 days, so At least those days shouldn’t be a problem.

Hell, bring the trainees back, certify them (on 30-49% of normal traffic), and prohibit them from putting in ANY transfer paperwork for 10+ years. No, I don’t care that your third cousin’s mom is dying from Ebola and needs treatment elsewhere. Sit your ass down! We have enough shitty controllers that skip busy positions, come back early/late from breaks to avoid certain sectors, et cetera. We sure could use more of those worthless bodies here. What could go wrong at places like: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, et cetera?!? I can’t wait to be in Team Training and see what happens when Delta pilots just take over final’s frequency and start trying to “vector” themselves because they don’t trust the newly certified individuals to keep them safe. Sounds like a GREAT PLAN!

Last edited:
Hell, bring the trainees back, certify them (on 30-49% of normal traffic)
What’s your plan? Let them rot at home for 3 years until 100% traffic comes back? Who says CPCs won’t have some rust by then.
Yeah salty needs something other than dislike to express his displeasure
As a moderator / staff member you really should be more professional.

What’s your plan? Let them rot at home for 3 years until 100% traffic comes back? Who says CPCs won’t have some rust by then.

If it were up to me then they would train as presently configured, no exceptions. We don’t need to train if we need to split off positions to do it. I told my last trainee who didn’t want to train combined early in the morning that the training wheels need to come off. I told him nobody cares that he can work a sector that only has 6 airplanes - that’s not good enough here.

Hell, bring the trainees back, certify them (on 30-49% of normal traffic), and prohibit them from putting in ANY transfer paperwork for 10+ years. No, I don’t care that your third cousin’s mom is dying from Ebola and needs treatment elsewhere. Sit your ass down! We have enough shitty controllers that skip busy positions, come back early/late from breaks to avoid certain sectors, et cetera. We sure could use more of those worthless bodies here. What could go wrong at places like: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, et cetera?!? I can’t wait to be in Team Training and see what happens when Delta pilots just take over final’s frequency and start trying to “vector” themselves because they don’t trust the newly certified individuals to keep them safe. Sounds like a GREAT PLAN!
That’s fine I got my facility I wanted ?

you don’t need 100% traffic, but at my facility we are at like 10%.

and as for the mods you get what you pay for.

you don’t need 100% traffic, but at my facility we are at like 10%.

and as for the mods you get what you pay for.
Really? Even with me being a pessimist and all, I've been monitoring the ops at some of the big airports throughout the pandemic. Pre-covid average at EWR was almost 1200 ops a day, and at the lows it was less than 100, maybe even down to 60 ops I think. Yesterday, there was roughly 600 from what I could see

Really? Even with me being a pessimist and all, I've been monitoring the ops at some of the big airports throughout the pandemic. Pre-covid average at EWR was almost 1200 ops a day, and at the lows it was less than 100, maybe even down to 60 ops I think. Yesterday, there was roughly 600 from what I could see

It’s been 10 days since I’ve been there so maybe it ticked up. When I worked last EWR was doing about 200 ops a day. The only thing making us “busy” was VFR’s.

Ok, Boomer. Your depends getting a little full and crusty you grumpy old bastard? 80-100% Of pre-Covid traffic levels Nationwide isn’t coming back next week, month, year, or maybe even 3-4 years. Airlines have retired dozens of aircraft and are going to furlough large percentage of their workforce when their bailout money ends on September 30th. Majors (Delta, United, American, etc.) aren’t going to be the same size when the pandemic is over. The argument for continued furloughs due to traffic levels is bullshit. If you believe we should be furloughed due to the pandemic, however, I wouldn’t argue with you.

You sure the max carryover for everyone is 240 hours? My whole career for 7 years it was stuck in my head that the cap was 2x your max leave accrual. So for people earning 6 hours a PP it was 320 or so and for the 8 hours people over 400. Maybe I just had a dream like that in OKC my first week and it stuck.
Check your LES, it says 240

Back
Top Bottom