Tier 2 prior military question.

I called the national archives and spoke to them. If you submit anything to them they then forward to the correct place that will have your records as each branch, based on the time in which you served, keep them in different places. This process adds steps so after about an hour's worth of research I figured the different places to submit my sf180 and should hopefully save myself some time. My only concern is they may want medical records also which I think might be separate from the personnel records. Not gonna worry on that too much though and just send my requests.

Page 3 of the full SF180 (link) breaks down where to send your records request based on your branch of service, when you separated, etc. There are separate columns for personnel records and medical records. https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf

Last edited:
Did you request your medical records as well?

If they specifically requested personnel records, I would not worry about medical records. Best bet is to call and clarify though. Personally, I would request your medical records to be sent to yourself, so you have them on hand for whatever reason in the future. I have my complete service medical records from when I separated... I made sure I went to the clinic beforehand and requested a complete copy.

Has anyone heard from FAA or anyone else yet? I know it's only been a couple months, just seeing if anyone has had any luck yet.

I wasn't tier 2 but had to sign a sf180. You send it to the address or fax number provided and follow up that they received it. Now from now on call medical at least once a month. Pro tip if you have a sealed copy of your medical records send it to medical sealed....it will save you 6-9 months...that is how long it takes federal archives to retrieve and send your info to fast flight surgeon.

I emailed the gentleman who notified me I was tier 2 back in May asking if my records had been received or not. Apparently they have been received and are waiting to be reviewed by the flight surgeon before being sent over to the actual "tier 2 person to start coordination".

Is anyone else in this boat or has been recently? Or an idea on how long this coordination part will take?

I emailed the gentleman who notified me I was tier 2 back in May asking if my records had been received or not. Apparently they have been received and are waiting to be reviewed by the flight surgeon before being sent over to the actual "tier 2 person to start coordination".

Is anyone else in this boat or has been recently? Or an idea on how long this coordination part will take?
That's where I am at! It been about two months now and still nothing. I have email them multiple times and they just tell me they can't give me an update.

I'm exactly where you are. The wording you used is very similar to the email I received. Would your point of contact happen to have RDC as their initials?

I'm exactly where you are. The wording you used is very similar to the email I received. Would your point of contact happen to have RDC as their initials?
That's them. That's who originally notified me of my tier 2 status and who I emailed asking today. So looks like now we are in line together.

That's them. That's who originally notified me of my tier 2 status and who I emailed asking today. So looks like now we are in line together.

I have RDC as well. Notified last week that the flight surgeon had reviewed mine and the paperwork was sent this week to Tier 2 office.

I would assume based on timelines you both should hear something soon.

When I finally received my tier 2 appt the doc new everything in my record. She asked if I was prescribed pain pills in the military and I said no, then she called me out because apparently in basic I got pain pills during wisdom teeth removal or some shit like that. So I'm assuming they review the entire thing and compile a list. My guess, the longer you served the longer it will take. But who knows, the process took my 2 years from tol to follow...

Awesome. Come back and let us know when you get notified to schedule an appointment please.

I planned on it. Everyone I know from this round of hiring had their paperwork sent to them from the tier 2 office within a week or two of being forwarded to them.

Then it usually takes anywhere from 1-5 weeks to get an appointment. Then the doctor has 10 days to send it back to the faa. Then the faa has 45 days to review it and send it back to your medical POC.

Needless to say I’m chomping at the bit to fill this form out and get it to DC to get my appointment.

Though admittedly given it’s October, I’d prefer a class date starting in February. My brother and his wife are expecting their first born in January.

Following others timelines I’m assuming the earliest I would have a FOL/class date is going to be January/February timeframe. Especially with all the details in my background.

Though the nice thing is that the flight surgeon already reviewed us and approved us pending tier 2 and a drug test refresh. So as long as that goes well we all should skip the flight surgeon review portion or get through much quicker.

I planned on it. Everyone I know from this round of hiring had their paperwork sent to them from the tier 2 office within a week or two of being forwarded to them.

Then it usually takes anywhere from 1-5 weeks to get an appointment. Then the doctor has 10 days to send it back to the faa. Then the faa has 45 days to review it and send it back to your medical POC.

Needless to say I’m chomping at the bit to fill this form out and get it to DC to get my appointment.

Though admittedly given it’s October, I’d prefer a class date starting in February. My brother and his wife are expecting their first born in January.

Following others timelines I’m assuming the earliest I would have a FOL/class date is going to be January/February timeframe. Especially with all the details in my background.

Though the nice thing is that the flight surgeon already reviewed us and approved us pending tier 2 and a drug test refresh. So as long as that goes well we all should skip the flight surgeon review portion or get through much quicker.
That's good if we can skip another review from the flight surgeon. I don't have anything in my record as far as I know that would cause any issues. Never got hurt or had any admin/medical issues fortunately. I'm ready to leave as soon as my semester is over in December honestly. I'll take the earliest date I can get though.

That's good if we can skip another review from the flight surgeon. I don't have anything in my record as far as I know that would cause any issues. Never got hurt or had any admin/medical issues fortunately. I'm ready to leave as soon as my semester is over in December honestly. I'll take the earliest date I can get though.

See all my stuff is from when I was 16-20, all major stuff when I was 17.... I’m 27.

I realize they have to cover their bases and make sure all the boxes are checked. I’m honestly happy I’m this far along having only gotten my TOL last December.

If by some miracle I can get into the doctor in the next week or two, they get it back quickly and DC finishes up in a week or two then I’ll more than likely take the earliest date.

If they offer anything January though I’m going to request a February date. If they allow that cool, if not so be it and I go to Oklahoma early.

I just hope and pray that my packet doesn’t sit on someone’s desk in the tier 2 office for months before it gets worked.

See all my stuff is from when I was 16-20, all major stuff when I was 17.... I’m 27.

I realize they have to cover their bases and make sure all the boxes are checked. I’m honestly happy I’m this far along having only gotten my TOL last December.

If by some miracle I can get into the doctor in the next week or two, they get it back quickly and DC finishes up in a week or two then I’ll more than likely take the earliest date.

If they offer anything January though I’m going to request a February date. If they allow that cool, if not so be it and I go to Oklahoma early.

I just hope and pray that my packet doesn’t sit on someone’s desk in the tier 2 office for months before it gets worked.
That's what I'm worried about. I wonder how many psych's they use in any given area?

Back
Top Bottom