Transferring from a center controller to tower supervisor

Hey guys, just saw a few bids for towers near where I’ve been trying to get to for awhile. Does anyone know the process or difficulty in becoming a tower supervisor from being a center CPC?

You could probably put 2 together on a check ride and the ATM will still stamp you certified if it means you becoming a Sup.

Being able to remember to breathe on your own and maintain a body temperature in the mid-90’s and you’ll do just fine.
I don't know about those requirements; I've heard about this one guy who's been doing a great job at a recently downgraded Level 4.
Bom Dia Hello GIF
weekend at bernies GIF
weekend at bernies GIF

Hey guys, just saw a few bids for towers near where I’ve been trying to get to for awhile. Does anyone know the process or difficulty in becoming a tower supervisor from being a center CPC?
Never hurts to try but I’d imagine they’d rank in-house CPC’s and tower/center supe’s from other places in front of you. But it depends on location/facility level. If it’s a desirable or tolerable area it’s a lot less likely you’ll get picked up. If it’s somewhere that is extremely hard to staff you’ve obviously got a better chance.

I’m trying to go from tower CPC to center sup, no luck so far.
Center Sup is the worst job in the agency. It's why so many centers take the super inexperienced people, or the worst controllers from the center. Very Very rarely does a decent disillusioned controller bid a Supervisor job hoping to enact change and improve things.

Only later as they endure the crushing defeat of discovering that they now get shit on from above and below, forced to a crappy schedule because of their lowly supervisor seniority. Resenting their peers who spent no time in the realm of controlling traffic, but instead all of their time watching others do said work, as they discover actually working means nothing in the MSS career fields.

If the Controller is lucky it was a temp bid and they can slink back to the floor with the experience and stain of their terrible decision. If it's permanent they are doomed to imbibe in kool-aid until nothing is left of their former self. On their death bed they will reflect how this was worst decision they ever made in their lives.

It's a Trap!

Center Sup is the worst job in the agency. It's why so many centers take the super inexperienced people, or the worst controllers from the center. Very Very rarely does a decent disillusioned controller bid a Supervisor job hoping to enact change and improve things.

Only later as they endure the crushing defeat of discovering that they now get shit on from above and below, forced to a crappy schedule because of their lowly supervisor seniority. Resenting their peers who spent no time in the realm of controlling traffic, but instead all of their time watching others do said work, as they discover actually working means nothing in the MSS career fields.

If the Controller is lucky it was a temp bid and they can slink back to the floor with the experience and stain of their terrible decision. If it's permanent they are doomed to imbibe in kool-aid until nothing is left of their former self. On their death bed they will reflect how this was worst decision they ever made in their lives.

It's a Trap!

so you’re saying there’s a chance?

joking aside, I’ve heard similar before and I don’t doubt anything you’ve said. But I’m one of those level 5 RUS guys who’s facility has never let anyone go and there are no releases on the horizon. A sup position at the center would literally double my base pay. And no I don’t make enough differentials for it to matter. So it’s either die here at my first facility and live with a 30k pension or open myself up to other paths.

so you’re saying there’s a chance?

joking aside, I’ve heard similar before and I don’t doubt anything you’ve said. But I’m one of those level 5 RUS guys who’s facility has never let anyone go and there are no releases on the horizon. A sup position at the center would literally double my base pay. And no I don’t make enough differentials for it to matter. So it’s either die here at my first facility and live with a 30k pension or open myself up to other paths.

At least you are doing it for the money or/and a release. I can understand that.

I’ve seen many center people move to higher tower Sup jobs. I’d be willing to bet the majority of FAA management and up are center background. They tend to look favorably on their own.

Back
Top Bottom