Is switching from controller to supervisor for better money/transfer chances worth it?

id rather drive ice picks into my eyes and then salt them, than become a supe
I do not condone violence…
I’d rather drive an ice pick into every supes eyes and salt them to show district management that our facility is perfectly capable of being run with just CICs in charge. Our facility is being overrun with management overreach with new rules and guidelines posted weekly that look as if we are being slowly drug back into the white book while NATCA stays mute. NATCA is currently more concerned about protecting its members who have abused substances on the job, assaulted officers, employees faking illness to avoid shift work while maintaining CPC pay while pushing papers upstairs while the rest of us are working short.

FAA has prioritized filling management positions as of late rather than fill the chairs of controllers that can talk to planes. There is no need for supes in the center. You could pay someone 55k off the street to manage web scheduler and essentially save the government and tax payers over 4 million dollars a year per center.

Prove me wrong.

I do not condone violence…
I’d rather drive an ice pick into every supes eyes and salt them to show district management that our facility is perfectly capable of being run with just CICs in charge. Our facility is being overrun with management overreach with new rules and guidelines posted weekly that look as if we are being slowly drug back into the white book while NATCA stays mute. NATCA is currently more concerned about protecting its members who have abused substances on the job, assaulted officers, employees faking illness to avoid shift work while maintaining CPC pay while pushing papers upstairs while the rest of us are working short.

FAA has prioritized filling management positions as of late rather than fill the chairs of controllers that can talk to planes. There is no need for supes in the center. You could pay someone 55k off the street to manage web scheduler and essentially save the government and tax payers over 4 million dollars a year per center.

Prove me wrong.
But they're required to get an r side now

Yeah I got hired before I turned 22, 39% at age 47 to retire is unbeatable, to get everything to go to 1.7% I'd have to work another decade, I'll take the first option every day of the week
I also got in fairly early and can retire before 50. My supe says they have the same retirement as us (including MRA); is that true? Or do they have a higher MRA? My goal is retire early so whichever is earlier for pension

Yea it is. The union has stonewalled us. If you want to get out you gotta bid on sup jobs. To be honest. How can anyone really talk shit since that’s our only option to transfer. Fuck rich Santa
You’re 100% right, it’s obviously Santa’s fault that over 3/4 of the facilities in the system are less than 80% staffed. It’s not the FAA’s problem at all. We definitely have all the controllers we need. 100%!

You’re 100% right, it’s obviously Santa’s fault that over 3/4 of the facilities in the system are less than 80% staffed. It’s not the FAA’s problem at all. We definitely have all the controllers we need. 100%!

But Ncept is his baby. He created it to slow movement of controllers. I’d rather be under a modified old system where I get a tol from the manager based on my credentials. This program has made controllers apply to more sup and staffing positions in order to get out. It’s a shit system. Period.

But Ncept is his baby. He created it to slow movement of controllers. I’d rather be under a modified old system where I get a tol from the manager based on my credentials. This program has made controllers apply to more sup and staffing positions in order to get out. It’s a shit system. Period.

This thread was about becoming an OS, not ncept. Everything turns to NCEPT. No one is stopping anyone from becoming an OS and getting a raise and moving around. It’s your career, do you. You think the union is the enemy, until you go over to MGMT. It’s hilarious when OS come to the union to fix their problems, because their bosses are utter garbage and useless.

This thread was about becoming an OS, not ncept. Everything turns to NCEPT. No one is stopping anyone from becoming an OS and getting a raise and moving around. It’s your career, do you. You think the union is the enemy, until you go over to MGMT. It’s hilarious when OS come to the union to fix their problems, because their bosses are utter garbage and useless.
There's two types of flms, and a rare third

A good controller that was stuck somewhere,
A bad controller that couldn't do it.
Someone that wants to make a difference

Then they get to an FLM position and it's shit. Probably the worst job in the nas. You get a 30 minute lunch, stuck around a bunch of assholes you can't discipline. Someone out of line, ask the reps permission to talk to them, professional standards, etc. The moment you document anything the union full on goes after you. Then your OS/ATM etc basically have you by the balls in terms of ot, scheduling, etc. You get it from both sides

Changing to a manager role is a great career opener if you want to move after a year, or it gets you to a desirable location. It's just an awful job though.

Make sure you just do everything by the book and are heartless. Everyone will have a sob story about why they need (a shift swap, an elms day, this that) but they will turn on you the moment you make a mistake or need something more than contractually obligated duties.

It's like being a sergeantish rank in the military except you can't order anyone around.

NCEPT seeps into everything because let's say I want to be an amazing controller at salt lake center where I'm from. I'm an amazing dude, great at controlling traffic, love the union, had a 3 way with p and t. BUT coming out of the academy I got put at a 70% staffed level 6 vfr tower. My wife and I desperately want to spend time back home and I've done 3 years as a cpc. I've managed to find a swap, but it was denied-still hoping for my err. I'm ONLY getting to salt lake on a sup bid.

There's two types of flms, and a rare third

A good controller that was stuck somewhere,
A bad controller that couldn't do it.
Someone that wants to make a difference

Then they get to an FLM position and it's shit. Probably the worst job in the nas. You get a 30 minute lunch, stuck around a bunch of assholes you can't discipline. Someone out of line, ask the reps permission to talk to them, professional standards, etc. The moment you document anything the union full on goes after you. Then your OS/ATM etc basically have you by the balls in terms of ot, scheduling, etc. You get it from both sides

Changing to a manager role is a great career opener if you want to move after a year, or it gets you to a desirable location. It's just an awful job though.

Make sure you just do everything by the book and are heartless. Everyone will have a sob story about why they need (a shift swap, an elms day, this that) but they will turn on you the moment you make a mistake or need something more than contractually obligated duties.

It's like being a sergeantish rank in the military except you can't order anyone around
I agree with you 100% I’m not advocating for OS’s

The two go hand in hand. People are turning to sup bids and asking if it’s worth it since they can’t get out. They are looking at it as thier only hope. All I’m saying is yes it’s worth it. I’m not listening to the unions bullshit message of not becoming a sup anymore I’m saying who am I to judge what you do…..do what’s best for you and your family. The union would retain so much membership by modifying ncept too. Benefit us more. Some people just want to remain controllers.

Last edited:
I realize my reality was very different from most people. I'm retired now after spending my entire career at N90 (by choice), and I was a controller from day one to my last. Getting a supe job was easy for those that wanted it, but the great majority of us would never consider it.

For me there was no pay increase incentive after year 17 because I reached the federal salary cap, so in essence I was making more than all supervisors even without OT or differentials. The paperwork sucks. Everyone whining to you sucks. Having to attend management meetings with the stiffs downstairs sucks, and having to do their bidding sucks even more. You're caught in limbo la-la land between the controllers and upper management, and catch shit from both sides. You don't get enough time on the boards, so your skills deteriorate to borderline aceptable. To me it was the worst possible experience, and it showed. With very few exceptions most supes at N90 were miserable fucks, specially the ones that became supes during or in the immediate years after the white book.

I realize my reality was very different from most people. I'm retired now after spending my entire career at N90 (by choice), and I was a controller from day one to my last. Getting a supe job was easy for those that wanted it, but the great majority of us would never consider it.

For me there was no pay increase incentive after year 17 because I reached the federal salary cap, so in essence I was making more than all supervisors even without OT or differentials. The paperwork sucks. Everyone whining to you sucks. Having to attend management meetings with the stiffs downstairs sucks, and having to do their bidding sucks even more. You're caught in limbo la-la land between the controllers and upper management, and catch shit from both sides. You don't get enough time on the boards, so your skills deteriorate to borderline aceptable. To me it was the worst possible experience, and it showed. With very few exceptions most supes at N90 were miserable fucks, specially the ones that became supes during or in the immediate years after the white book.

A lot of BUEs are basically begging to stay controllers. But the union NEB is so detached from the day to day of a normal controller that they don’t care. They see us as being replaceable as opposed to wanting to keep veteran union members. The rvp from Boston said it himself. “They are replaceable”. People are starting to realize there’s no hope. So they are doing whatever they can to make their family’s happy. Being a supervisor sucks. But if that means keeping your family in tact then it is what it is. I would MUCH rather work planes for the rest of my life but that’s falling on deaf ears.

Eh I mean that's somewhat overhyped. I haven't seen too many stories with my own eyes of people keeling over shortly after retirement, thats not to say the health effects of shift work arent real.

What I have seen is many dudes giving half thier TSP to thier wives because of divorce, 20 plus years of missed weekends and holidays, little timmys ball games, etc. For a few extra percentage points when you are too old to truly enjoy it how you could in your prime with a full salary coming in to fund it and the time off to do so.

"I'm gonna wait to retirement to enjoy my life to its fullest" is for chumps.
I did actually see several examples of people I worked with dying very shortly after retirement. I also saw quite a few giving a significant portion of their TSP and retirement to the ex's because of divorce.

I was eligible for retirement at age 48, but held on until 52 because my daughter attending a very expensive college. I literally retired 3 days before her graduation ceremony at age 52. At N90 and more specifically in my area, there were quite a lot of age 56 retirements, a few that went past 56 with extensions, but there were some like me that went before 56 as well.

I just turned 56, so tomorrow would had been my last day at work if I had chosen to go to the end, but I've been enjoying life to the max this last 4 years, and don't regret for one second having punched out early. That extra 4% on my pension was definitely not worth 4 years of my life!

Back
Top Bottom