Retirement TSP Seasonal Strategies

Wow congrats, so you were able to bank all the downturn? around 30-50% profit in 1 year?

I am asking because I saw their membership cost and it is a little bit pricey.

$20 a year is pricey?

They didn’t tell us to get back Into the c or s funds. I was fortunate to get in when they only charged 1,000 for lifetime membership. I feel like that was a very good value considering my lack of investment knowledge. I’ve since learned a little bit more than I knew then. I think really if you’re early in your career you can’t go wrong with 50c/50s or even 75s/25c if you wanna be aggressive

You must be referring to a different service. TSPcalc is $20 a year, and always has been. There are no lifetime memberships.

Questions: I believe I discontinued the Traditional TSP and switched to Roth on employee express.
My understanding is your contribution to the Roth is matched by the FAA to the traditional TSP , am I correct?

2nd can you have both? Where you contribute to a Roth and traditional via employee express?
3rd. To change where your contributions go you need to login via tsp.gov?

Questions: I believe I discontinued the Traditional TSP and switched to Roth on employee express.
My understanding is your contribution to the Roth is matched by the FAA to the traditional TSP , am I correct?

2nd can you have both? Where you contribute to a Roth and traditional via employee express?
  1. Your money goes to Roth, FAA money goes to traditional. Gov't gotta get them taxes.
  2. yes Start, change, or stop contributions | Thrift Savings Plan
  3. yes Making contributions | Thrift Savings Plan

Just to add to question 2:
The combined amount still cannot exceed 19500 for the year. If you are able, just contribute it all to the Roth so that you get as much tax free growth as possible.

All company matches are traditional, ie; will be taxed once you withdrawal in retirement. All gains from either traditional or Roth investments will also be taxed upon withdrawal.

The one thing to consider when contributing everything to the Roth is that your contributions do not reduce your taxable income. Which might put you into a higher tax bracket.

edit: gains on Roth are not taxable as long as it’s been 5 years since first Roth contribution and age 59.5

Anyone have any advice? I’m an 80/20 C and S guy but not sure if that’s still the move now a days. Should I ride it out or move to something new?

I’ve been G fund since Decemberish 2021 and continuing to deposit into C and S as it’s slid on its way down ever since then. Pure luck but I’m sticking with this combo until the Fed stops hiking interest rates.

I've been sticking mostly to my strategy, beat c+s last year. Up about 11.5 this year. Gonna do some tweaks this week and muddle some F fund instead of G.

If anyone is an admin in the TSP strats fb page approve me pls. Lol I still have 20 more years but I’m trying not to be like some of my coworkers about to retire. ?

Back
Top Bottom