Visual Sep with T&Gs

OrangeYOGAMat

FAA
Facility
MKC Kansas City Downtown Tower
If you have a small in the pattern and a large departing (same runway), does the small have to get the large in sight and maintain visual value or can you issue traffic and cautionary wake turbulence.

Please tell me you’re kidding/trolling.
Please tell me if I’m wrong... it may not be the best practice but it can be a tool to use instead of breaking wake turbulence rules. I personally am not a huge fan of it but I have used it before once or twice and have seen others at my previous facility use it occasionally

You do not need wake turb separation between a small in the pattern and a large on final. You are able to use tower provided visual separation in this instance and all you need is a cautionary advisory.
I have never worked in a tower but as a radar controller I have always been told that tower cannot provide visual separation when wake turbulence is involved.

1.) Tower CAN'T provide visual when wake turb. sep. is needed.

2.) My understanding is that you need the one in the pattern to report the other in sight, OR make sure the 3 minutes is up.. because if he's permitted to do a T/G he is a departure on the roll. Aka an intersection departure.

That’s the proper way. Giving a stop and go doesn’t make sense.
This is what is used. It is basically a stop and go but still say clear to land I’ll call your departure or clear to land, hold short runway “x”, I’ll call your departure, traffic. Maybe I didn’t use the right verbiage which confused you

This is what is used. It is basically a stop and go but still say clear to land I’ll call your departure or clear to land, hold short runway “x”, I’ll call your departure, traffic. Maybe I didn’t use the right verbiage which confused you
Ok just making sure that there isn’t bad info put out there that’s all.

1.) Tower CAN'T provide visual when wake turb. sep. is needed.

2.) My understanding is that you need the one in the pattern to report the other in sight, OR make sure the 3 minutes is up.. because if he's permitted to do a T/G he is a departure on the roll. Aka an intersection departure.
There is never a time requirement for wake turbulence behind an arrival. In a tower, there isn't even a mileage requirement. Just a cautionary advisory for the small that's going to follow the large. Doesn't matter if the small is doing a full stop, low approach, or touch/go.

Back
Top Bottom