Current CPC % to Target
-
Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

Local Area​

External Links​

2017 cola rates weren't published when I updated everything else. Not sure why the locality is showing RUS rate.. bug somewhere. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Fixed

The payscales seem to be off by quite a bit, any chance this is using 11 pay rates instead of level 10?

I'd say live in Eagle River....I'm not at ZAN but I lived in Anchorage for 3 years. Eagle River is not far from the center either. It's a nice town and about 10 or 20 minutes from the Center and the beginning of Anchorage. If you're into the outdoors it's a perfect spot because it puts you even closer to the areas around there that are popular. At least the spots that are north of Anchorage. Also Anchorage has a new law that hardly punishes first time offenders for non violent crime. As a result crime has sky rocketed from what my friends say. If I was to ever make it to ZAN, Eagle River would be my first choice. If you end up in Anchorage stay away from the areas around the center. Look more in Southern Anchorage. Just my two cents from having lived there a few years back.

I'd say live in Eagle River....I'm not at ZAN but I lived in Anchorage for 3 years. Eagle River is not far from the center either. It's a nice town and about 10 or 20 minutes from the Center and the beginning of Anchorage. If you're into the outdoors it's a perfect spot because it puts you even closer to the areas around there that are popular. At least the spots that are north of Anchorage. Also Anchorage has a new law that hardly punishes first time offenders for non violent crime. As a result crime has sky rocketed from what my friends say. If I was to ever make it to ZAN, Eagle River would be my first choice. If you end up in Anchorage stay away from the areas around the center. Look more in Southern Anchorage. Just my two cents from having lived there a few years back.
There are some places I’m interested in by the university. I want to keep the drive short and off the highway for my first Alaska winter. Staying away from the base and center because of crime or $$$?

There are some places I’m interested in by the university. I want to keep the drive short and off the highway for my first Alaska winter. Staying away from the base and center because of crime or $$$?

Might as well dive in with the winter. Roads are snow/slush/ice covered everywhere for the whole winter. Just get some studded tires on and you'll be good to go. Around the university is pretty decent, at least when I lived up there. My wife lived fairly close to that area. It's because of the crime. Center is on Boniface drive and it has less than a stellar reputation.

Honestly the roads are horrible anywhere you go in Anchorage area. Anchorage neighborhoods take a long time to get plowed and honestly the highway is typically the best in regards to plowed/cleared during winter. I live in Eagle River and it takes me 12-15min to get to ZAN. Crime in Anchorage has been going up quite a bit but its still not as bad as other bigger cities.

Training right now is pretty low, staffing in the South area is pretty low, High area is very well staffed and the North area is fairly well staffed. If you have more questions, you can message me directly.

Honestly the roads are horrible anywhere you go in Anchorage area. Anchorage neighborhoods take a long time to get plowed and honestly the highway is typically the best in regards to plowed/cleared during winter. I live in Eagle River and it takes me 12-15min to get to ZAN. Crime in Anchorage has been going up quite a bit but its still not as bad as other bigger cities.

Training right now is pretty low, staffing in the South area is pretty low, High area is very well staffed and the North area is fairly well staffed. If you have more questions, you can message me directly.

Do all areas have non-radar?

Hello all this thread seems pretty dead but I figured I'd post anyway, If this is the wrong type of post for this thread I'll delete it. I'm newly graduated from a CTI school and on the current bid im Pool 2, BQ, referred. I've done an internship at Skyharbor Tower and I'm a private pilot with about 100 hours of simulated instrument as well as a certified aircraft dispatcher (once I turn 23). I don't bring all of this up because I think it somehow makes me suited for the job, I mainly bring it up because the few people who I've tried to ask about getting into Anchorage Center have told me not to worry until I actually get accepted into academy because of all the things you have to do after you get your tol. The reason I bring all of this up is because even if it isn't this bid I am almost certain I will get accepted into the academy within my lifetime (hopefully sooner than later) I have acquired a 1st class medical before and technically still have my second (although it may lapse before I get my tol and I'll have it renewed which also Isn't a problem in the foreseeable future), I have gotten my federal security clearance through my internship at Skyharbor Tower, and I have lots of experience and certifications which as I understand it make me more likely to be accepted. All this to say that if and when I get accepted I really want to go to Alaska and I really want to do enroute. From what I have been told by past and current controllers getting into enroute should be easy as its the more common class to get, and even if I get terminal you're allowed to trade classes with someone. The thing that I'm more concerned about is whether or not I would be able to get into Anchorage Center. I've had some people tell me that if I do want to go to Anchorage all I have to do is let "them" know (not sure if they mean my HR rep or someone else) but I'd appreciate some advice that somewhat assumes I actually might be accepted. I figured since this sub forum is about ZAN you all could possibly shed some light on whether I could expect to land ZAN without having to spend 5 years in LA. Thanks all.

Hello all this thread seems pretty dead but I figured I'd post anyway, If this is the wrong type of post for this thread I'll delete it. I'm newly graduated from a CTI school and on the current bid im Pool 2, BQ, referred. I've done an internship at Skyharbor Tower and I'm a private pilot with about 100 hours of simulated instrument as well as a certified aircraft dispatcher (once I turn 23). I don't bring all of this up because I think it somehow makes me suited for the job, I mainly bring it up because the few people who I've tried to ask about getting into Anchorage Center have told me not to worry until I actually get accepted into academy because of all the things you have to do after you get your tol. The reason I bring all of this up is because even if it isn't this bid I am almost certain I will get accepted into the academy within my lifetime (hopefully sooner than later) I have acquired a 1st class medical before and technically still have my second (although it may lapse before I get my tol and I'll have it renewed which also Isn't a problem in the foreseeable future), I have gotten my federal security clearance through my internship at Skyharbor Tower, and I have lots of experience and certifications which as I understand it make me more likely to be accepted. All this to say that if and when I get accepted I really want to go to Alaska and I really want to do enroute. From what I have been told by past and current controllers getting into enroute should be easy as its the more common class to get, and even if I get terminal you're allowed to trade classes with someone. The thing that I'm more concerned about is whether or not I would be able to get into Anchorage Center. I've had some people tell me that if I do want to go to Anchorage all I have to do is let "them" know (not sure if they mean my HR rep or someone else) but I'd appreciate some advice that somewhat assumes I actually might be accepted. I figured since this sub forum is about ZAN you all could possibly shed some light on whether I could expect to land ZAN without having to spend 5 years in LA. Thanks all.
Yes, enroute is much more common than terminal.

Unless something changed, no you are not allowed to switch classes with anybody.

When I went through the academy a year ago, ZAN was consistently an alternate option on the facility lists. Meaning it did not have to be picked by anybody and would not drop off the list regardless of how many people passed. As long as it isn't overstaffed, I imagine you could still count on it being an alternate option now too.

Yes, enroute is much more common than terminal.

Unless something changed, no you are not allowed to switch classes with anybody.

When I went through the academy a year ago, ZAN was consistently an alternate option on the facility lists. Meaning it did not have to be picked by anybody and would not drop off the list regardless of how many people passed. As long as it isn't overstaffed, I imagine you could still count on it being an alternate option now too.
Awesome man, thanks for the info. Well I suppose here's hoping I get Enroute.

Back
Top Bottom